• Be EXTREMELY cautious if someone offers to buy your Bronco for more than your asking price and sight unseen. ESPECIALLY if the buyer is overseas. It's probably a scam.

Discuss it more here:
    http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=514932
  • The Classifieds forum is a place to buy and sell, not an open forum for people to give their opinions on Bronco values. Unless the seller specifically asks for help on pricing, please don't critique quality or asking price. If you're not interested then move on.

Thanks!
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

aluminum 66-77 bronco fuel tanks (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
S

sel

Loc.
carlsbad,ca
this looks awsome! Well done. How about an EFI version? Is there anything of concern with an aluminum tank vs steel?

I am interested in an aux tank but not like the stock one. How about a 5-8 gallon tank that hugs the frame so if you get t-boned it is better protected? I would also plumb it to feed the main so no need for EFI or sender issues, two vents, one fill, one out to feed, no hole for sender. Maybe made of 8-9inch tubular aluminum 2-3ft long??

sounds like a good idea i'm game to make one,it would mneed to be elevated above the main to be able to feed the main.i will get a quote on the tube,,as far as the vents and filler tubes ,passenger or drivers side?

OP
OP
S

sel

Loc.
carlsbad,ca
this looks awsome! Well done. How about an EFI version? Is there anything of concern with an aluminum tank vs steel?

I am interested in an aux tank but not like the stock one. How about a 5-8 gallon tank that hugs the frame so if you get t-boned it is better protected? I would also plumb it to feed the main so no need for EFI or sender issues, two vents, one fill, one out to feed, no hole for sender. Maybe made of 8-9inch tubular aluminum 2-3ft long??

as far as an aluminum tank vs. a steel tank, the aluminum i used is 5052 which has a high corrosion resistance,where a steel tank starts to rust after having its paint scratched off by rocks and what have you. the aluminum tank is lighter ,but i dont know that weight will ever be an issue of concern for bronco owners.the biggest difference i've noticed between the two,is that the aluminum tank just looks a whole lot cooler under the tailgate! we have purchased aluminum tanks for jeeps and our boat and other vehicles,i went looking for a new tank for my 67 bronco and couldnt find an aluminum tank so i decided to just make one,and then realized others might one too,,so here we are 2 months later with a pile of different sized bronco specific aluminum tanks.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
RE: the aux tank-- I would run the aux feed line under transfer pump pressure to the main tank efi return, therefore feeding the main tank and feeding the motor only from the main tank. No need for sender unit as the main draws down to half or so, you turn on the transfer pump and it pumps over to the main. Or mayb... now that I'm thinkiing why not use another sender in th eaux, at least let you could use the stock tank selector switch.

One must be careful about locating a metal tank of any construction as an aux in it's nornmal location, your sitting on a grenade in a side impact accident, fuel vapor would ignite ala Pinto explosions of yesterday. A stock plastic tank takes alot of abuse has a metal protector or shield on top of it and tends to blow the vapor down if crushed

mnido

yes sir. i do have a full cages built, i am working really fast to get pictures up,i am building a website to display everything we make here,i just registered broncofab.com,,there is a small pic of one of the cages on my real jobs web site :selco-welding.com ,the cages might be hard to ship fully assembled. i am waiting on general shipping quotes from yellow based on distance and weight ,,when i get the new website up i will post these quotes next to the items.

I work in Escondido for your favorite Utility company so shipping is not an isue. Could not see a cage on your web site ?

OP
OP
S

sel

Loc.
carlsbad,ca
I work in Escondido for your favorite Utility company so shipping is not an isue. Could not see a cage on your web site ?

its a small rear pic,,but hey you're more than welcome to stop by the shop and take a peek! if you are familiar with escondido im on micro pl. near olympic coatings behind tag and off road warehouse or just google selco welding

Status
Not open for further replies.