• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Water inlet elbow help

Hello all. I have a 351W in a 74 EB that I need to change the water inlet elbow. I ordered the one for a 302 but it was a almost like a size smaller . None of the local aoto parts stores can help some even give the deer in the headlight look. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm pretty sure it's a 69 351 with an elderbrock intake .Thanks

cs_88

Bronco Guru
They should be the same size. I used the t stat housing from my 302 on my 351W.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Are you talking t-stat housing or where the heater hose goes up top? T-stat housing should be the same. If that don't get the fancy chrome one, they don't seal worth sh*t. Just get a cast one and paint it. If for the heater hose I just went to the hardware store and bought the fitting.

OP
OP
S
Parts store looked back through 69 and couldn't find anything like it. Yes I thought it would be the same as a 302 also but is definitely larger. The 302 elbow seems as though it would not even touch the threads in this intake.

triracer67

Contributor
1969 Cougar

I have the same set up, I tell the parts guys a 1969 Cougar for the motor parts. Hope that works.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Possible. And if so, that'd be cool to have a straight screw-in product that does not need an adapter.
However, for some reason all the aftermarket manifolds I've seen have that super large hole. But they also come with a brass adapter to make up the difference. At least the Edelbrock ones too. My old Holley intake did not and I had to get one from my local Kragen (no O'Reilley). But back then they actually had it in stock too, so it must've been a common thing to run into.

There are aftermarket heater hose ends with different sized threads as well (http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/manifolds/installation-items.shtml) but the adapter should be easy enough to find too I would think. However I'm not having any luck myself. Maybe a quick call to Edelbrock would net the part number (or dimensions) for the part.

Good luck. Seems like a good part we should have in stock ourselves. Doesn't come up often, but doesn't take much space on the shelf, or tie up much capital while sitting and collecting dust either.;D

Paul

OP
OP
S
Thanks DirtDonk, ordered the one from CJ,s see if it works hard to believe this is that hard to find. I was also told I could go to the local hydraulic repair store and if they didn't have it they could make it. We'll see. Thanks again

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My Edelbrock Performer EGR intake has the same size pipe thread hole for the heater return elbow as my '69 351W 4bbl Mustang OE intake. So does my '87 5.8 HO intake. All are 5/8" NPT. Most parts stores have them in stock. I just referenced a sight with a photo.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess the aftermarket decided to make the holes all the same size as the larger 351 then. Makes sense.
My 302 used the smaller one, so the adapter was needed. Didn't think to look for a different application at the time since the adapter was right there in front of me.
Would look cleaner and be less likely to leak though, if you can use the fitting straight into the intake.
Gonna have to get me a couple of those things.

Paul