• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wiring Harness

Borinqua Bronco

OPC Jeff,
Why did you have to splice into the harness? Couldn't you have added a wire to the fuse box and used one of the spare slots centech provided? Or were all the spots already taken?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...The other thing I didnt enjoy and worked around was that they use some cheezy ignition switch that they say "is better" than stock. I dont know maybe they changed that since I had mine but there was no way I was gonna go from an early ford key to a goofy tractor key. And I know maybe that shouldnt matter but for me I like my old keys that represent the car im driving. We all have our issues right ? :)

Heck yeah it matters! Sometimes the keys are where the memories are stored.;D

They do actually offer two harnesses (and an add-on for the one you got) with the option of using the stock switch. Not sure when you got yours. Maybe they didn't offer it in the beginning? Or maybe someone just didn't tell you at the time.
Anyone that goes with Centech should definitely consider the one with the simple adapter harness that goes from their connector to a factory switch: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Centech-Stock-Ignition-Switch-Adapter/Bronco_Wiring_Harness Can be purchased as part of the harness, or separately if needed.
Very slick-n-easy.

Paul

1971lubr

Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Heck yeah it matters! Sometimes the keys are where the memories are stored.;D

They do actually offer two harnesses (and an add-on for the one you got) with the option of using the stock switch. Not sure when you got yours. Maybe they didn't offer it in the beginning? Or maybe someone just didn't tell you at the time.
Anyone that goes with Centech should definitely consider the one with the simple adapter harness that goes from their connector to a factory switch: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Centech-Stock-Ignition-Switch-Adapter/Bronco_Wiring_Harness Can be purchased as part of the harness, or separately if needed.
Very slick-n-easy.

Paul
Yep, I made the mistake of not getting this. Once I saw the switch in the kit, I ordered the adapter. Perfect. I think I could have saved a few bucks ordering the harness with that adapter, but it was only a few bucks. Definitely order one, the tractor switch sucks.

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
OPC Jeff,
Why did you have to splice into the harness? Couldn't you have added a wire to the fuse box and used one of the spare slots centech provided? Or were all the spots already taken?

Im not sure if they offered the add on slots others mentioned or not when i got mine but mine had no extra slots for anything. Since then I've used Ron Francis with my dad on a couple projects and been very happy with them. You do have to run each wire individually so its more difficult, well not difficult, just takes a little more time but now my loom is seperated out the way I want it for additions I have planned in the future and it sits nice and tight against the bottom of the cowling under the dash. So for me it just made sense. Im a happy customer.

Like I said the centech wasnt bad or a problem just a few things I didnt like and I now have a harness that does everything I will want it to do .

OPCJeff

Loc.
Orange, CA
Yep, I made the mistake of not getting this. Once I saw the switch in the kit, I ordered the adapter. Perfect. I think I could have saved a few bucks ordering the harness with that adapter, but it was only a few bucks. Definitely order one, the tractor switch sucks.

Yah I dont think they offered this when I got mine. I figured out how to adapt my stock switch but I distinctly remember calling and asking about it and they told me the stock ford ign switch was not good and there's was better. So I worked around it and moved on. Now that I think of it I think I had to work around my wipers too. Dont think they worked on multiple speeds so I ended up finding a later model intermittent wiper switch which was / is awesome.

From the sounds of it they may have come a long way since I bought mine way back when. When you're replacing the stock wiring in a bronco I dont think it matters what harness you get you'll be happier than with the stock brittle crap that they come with. Out of all the old cars I've worked on I've never seen or heard of such horrible wiring issues. Dont know if its just ford got cheap with the bronco or over the years us knuckle heads think we need to modify and change and screw up the stock harnesses.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Couldn't you have added a wire to the fuse box and used one of the spare slots centech provided?
Im not sure if they offered the add on slots others mentioned or not when i got mine but mine had no extra slots for anything.

That's correct. No additional slots in the fuse panel for additional circuits, but it's an easy workaround. These are just simple hot-rod panels with a good, but minimal layout.
BUT... There are at least four ways to add circuits to power other items.
1. Utilize the additional wires left in a couple of places. They're part of the existing fuses, but are provided just for running things that they didn't think of. I think most are "switched" but some may be constant power.
2. Utilize the backside of the fuse panel just like Ford intended with the early models of our stock fuse panels. Much easier with the Centech as you just access the studs on the back of the new panel (one for switched, one for constant) or...
3. Use the stock ignition switch's center stud for switched power.
4. Use the starter relay for constant 12v power. Again, just like Ford does.
5. Since most of us upgrade to more powerful alternators anyway, the large 10ga Yellow "ALT CHG 12v +" wire that would normally be attached to the output post of the alternator is now unused. You can repurpose it like many of us have to power an auxiliary fuse panel or power stud to use for other accessories.

Because there are no extra slots for fuses in their panel, you're basically using these "power points" around the truck to run power to an auxiliary fuse panel of your own choice. Available in simple to exotic versions, they can be powered by relay via the switch, or directly from the other sources mentioned.
No need to cut or splice into existing wiring. Just roll 'yer own.

Out of all the old cars I've worked on I've never seen or heard of such horrible wiring issues. Dont know if its just ford got cheap with the bronco or over the years us knuckle heads think we need to modify and change and screw up the stock harnesses.

All of the above and then some. These were basically little orphans that Ford just barely committed to and since it was just a lowly utility vehicle, did not get much love in the way of more expensive parts or unique engineering. Just got what trickled down. They didn't even have their own assembly line. Just thrown in wherever they fit on the truck assembly line.
And while I'm sure many were lovingly cared for, most of the owners felt about the same way Ford did and relegated these to the barn, the shed, the side of the barn or shed, outside at the cabin, beside the gas station in the snow, or just about wherever you can think of to leave a vehicle until the next time you used it. Not everyone bought one because they liked them or were enthusiastic wheelers. The PTO winches, augers and snowplow options are dead giveways in that regard.
And yes too, unfortunately many BPO's (Bronco previous owners) did tend to think they were wiring gurus when they really didn't even know which end of the soldering iron to hold! Mine was only five years old when I bought it and I spend many a fun hour under the dash and hood cutting, taping, and tying off extra wires that went nowhere and did nothing except short out and blow fuses when I happened to bump one now and then.
Lots of similar stories still seeing the light of day here, even after 50 years.

So there you have it... More personal and unprovable theory spewed forth.;);D

Paul