• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Patch for fuse block holes in early tubs

hammer

Bronco Guru
Hey,

I have a pre 71 tub with the two rectangular holes for the fuse block just above the gas pedal. I've switched to a centech harness years ago and these holes are not needed. After 7 years of burning feet i'm finally fed up and am going to invest some time in cleaning up my firewall.

Welding isn't an option for me as the truck is completed/painted. Should have spent more time on this during my resto, oh well. I'll use grommets for what i can. What have you guys used for these two rectangular holes? Its my understanding that the painless kit comes with a patch panel for them which involves cutting the strip out between the two holes to make one big hole. Anyone done anything clean and creative? Trying to avoid a chunk of sheet metal and some self tappers if i can.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
can you get a painted piece of sheet metal and use something like panel bond?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I did the first one I just cut a small patch of aluminum big enough to cover both holes (no cutting of the center bar) and literally screwed it to the firewall. Adding some sealant overcame the odd height difference here or there, sealed it up and also helped to glue it in place so I only used the two screws.

Can't remember if I used an existing hole or two, but it worked slick and I just used stuff I had laying around.
Glad we brought it up during the development of the Painless harness and that they decided to add the plate. Just one more reason they're so expensive, but it's got just about any base covered.

Paul

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So as others have stated... I made a plate from a piece of aluminum, drilled holes in it to match the existing holes in the firewall for the fuse block (10-24 I believe) Painted it to match... And mounted it using plumbers putty for sealing. You could use any sealer, if you were not concerned with paint sticking to it.

Attachments

• DSCN1407.jpg
    DSCN1407.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20140422_144525_446.jpg
    IMG_20140422_144525_446.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 37