• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear Bronco weight

aisawalsh

Does anyone know approximately how much average weight/load the rear axle/springs has on it? I need the total ass end weight to ensure that I purchase the correct progressive coil spring for a four link kit that I am fabricating for my EB. The DUFF kit is only for a 3.5" lift and I have a new 2.5" lift already installed in the front.

bbaltered

Not sure what the weight is , but I did a 4link and coil overs and used 14 inch 250# springs . Also I am running without a top .

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Just use the Duff 3.5" rear coils.
Then when you weld the coil buckets on the frame, mount them one inch higher. It will net you your 2.5" height and increase stability.

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
So, here's mine, 250 I6, zf5, cage, rear bumper no tire carrier, 3800ish with the top on, dang near 50/50 with a full tank of gas I'm right at 1760 on the back axle. Hopefully that will help some.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Then when you weld the coil buckets on the frame, mount them one inch higher. It will net you your 2.5" height and increase stability.

I was thinking the Duff kit uses front springs.

I went through this same dilemma when I was installing my rear coil buckets. My body was off and I had no idea where to mount the buckets. Then I remembered that I purchased a set of adjustable coil buckets so I installed them after modifying them with some parts I cut off the Duff buckets (be careful as the Duff buckets are galvanized and that is bad to breathe when cutting or welding). Really glad I did because when I put the body on the frame the rear was 1" low so I just dropped the top of the coil bucket down one hole. Lots of details are in my build thread. Here's a couple pics of mine from my build thread:

rvpV1Bs3Xwcwl7914qXEv0vkplH7woLZ0tllTUoaYNoYBAmckCbn9JI_fMZyrjhoqZZ_zqC93CX24fRhF_J4hxjOpxT8P3cK-xYgi3ErmFf924D0Ko6vIp9k8IJT2ex8JmXZXa7ma1LnsVx1RIOn7Po6tdiUcBpSK1_isP23tvXl-dz3N3hXpxvfqlX1eXTxyYMVTvzwevIsCEl-JE0s0m0c9TlnHpoz0fiRbn23lL4QxwOD_Wlht1nQmskToxvlTH1oTwO_2r35-rKs98eT5qTM4xKZJ7qZ_ZYUVbM3clNxeUNRFeOsMhcPbQkjIpYjuvLwmrf0hUmYdZxM0s_KzxSUcf0ab1KIupPlkLt7uxlEepKswGrT6ZwLbRwP30D-FOS0wE5FffYT7yNOKixq3_jIaqrIY-z-ZSrmrkI36oAf9pEIydoBgz1Xo1yROOHyPdme_Fa5-WS2-JhW11BE6f_Hdi-Yt_id3DiirtBS6-aODYuHSlXDvLqS7RndiImNU5pxUquUrbiV0dQlPhckNd0B8lzpEBJry7m9Fjuu-rHuJjWq45IVxyZd4BOFbgkG51h2jaZEbejZtYXvDlQUIs61pBG9b25nDw-we3GhLL9qScG2bE-QLQ=w556-h985-no

_rcgM7eC6nkKDKWl1-XegpL5xhp8LEgbOvHT_-YwnE5ygg31gD2S6bmgxvDpruDEMO4WiKpOwY0-oBwomO_nlk90cLbafkIN1uNWTKmA_I9AuQnL1DJ1boSELZoBcqnpM1NVJKsPPV9BU5Is585B_PNTfGh4npw4zmUDuc_sG95zzKlXko5AONTHYsjMs0BHp6qC4wxzXRJh9CxWqlJ7oqKu0jVYyYskxz1ZrsLQnsZU3oiJdgauv1lypOlC11xeaQyxUsK8bseB3PySCP_8WzXTgc9WlV6iz-PoUJZtgDnewhFgkJFmNcpEjlUGSQxrDjUwotWrQgFPnbm6i5OHTIIlTHEgM3DebW65dGTjTB2xVnxgYdaTTLXAbYCtCdlRrig3-4MEVZXxSgkTv47730SKelbCwblz2JLAFkZ7J8IkCGYqaEmoJ2q5XEenzocISRDGcusjcLTusipataUCZCGJaVB1sRUtnGoyIMPJRgBUQWOiEOMcW1oBwWr0eM0xZ64f0oEVs8LjKRL3Xft4WVEm3Ug6q9Z1ySPyiPtjyJ8_M8lsXoMK34ySpKc3UqXRjoidW4zSS7ztWfPMSOooqQ227Ns8CUBYGuPdV2ouLMwo5qDwsGhs3w=w1753-h985-no

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Here's what my beast weighs...

Full cage
Winch
skid plates
doubler
HD bumpers
40" tires
bead locks
full spare
1/2 cab
200+lbs spare parts axles, drivelines, etc-too much stuff
dual lockable 14 ga steel tool boxes (100lbs-empty)

-I'm sitting in it, my dog, 20 gal of fuel...

Dang phone pics!!! ;( 2900 lbs if you can't flip your monitor...

How can the weight of just the REAR of mine weigh within 200#'s of total GVW when stock... lol

...and all this is before the extra 160#'s of D60 weight, the extra 80#'s of a "914" in the rear - 9" RuffStuff housing with 14 bolt spindles and hubs

Attachments

• IMG_5888.jpg
    IMG_5888.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Just curious where the weights came from Steve. I thought we'd found somewhere in print that the weight was 3600-3750 or so originally? My own was 4250 with all the usual junk. Basic tube bar, full top and me, gas and the tools in the back.
I can see where I added 300-350 lbs or so, but over 1000 lbs? Seems unlikely even with the big tank full of gas.
So curious if that was Ford data, or from what you've garnered from different sources over the years. If it's original Ford info, I need to revise my info to match yours.
I'm not complaining mind you. I think your chart is great. Just want to make sure you've got the best info you can get for your pages.

;( 2900 lbs How can the weight of just the REAR of mine weigh within 200#'s of total GVW when stock... lol

Full cage Winch 351 skid plates doubler HD bumpers 40" tires bead locks full spare 200+lbs spare parts axles, drivelines, etc-too much stuff dual lockable 14 ga steel tool boxes (100lbs-empty) -I'm sitting in it, my dog, 20 gal of fuel...

Heavy on the LOL there nvrstuk!
I think with all your add-ons, you can forget curb weight. Your rig likely comes close to the total GVWR on just one corner!;)

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Like a great meal dining out...it all adds up so fast!! lol

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Just curious where the weights came from Steve.
That's just a cleaned-up version of something I found here years ago. I didn't change any of the numbers I found on it - I just made them more legible. If they're wrong, I'll delete that image until the correct numbers are confirmed.

But note that those are CURB weights in the first table - GVWRs are in the 2nd.

I have a few other images showing weights (not uploaded); one of them is page #55 of specifications & capacities, and I have it labelled as 1973.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone know any of the hot-rodders or speed shops that have accurate individual wheel scales they can use?
Be nice to get something like that rather than the probably inconsistent truck scales we tend to use. Unless someone things those are pretty accurate at these lighter weights?
If so, then that's good.

If I find my old sheet I'll give the info as well. While the rear would likely be heavier than a basic Bronco, the front wight should have been within a few pounds of factory. Maybe a heavier battery and some tools and that's it.

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
The local scale our Hot Rod Club uses (my scaled weight) is very accurate as it's used for exporting hay and it's checked quite regularly for accuracy... even at lower weights.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Buddy weighed his absolutely stock rig... certified scale:

This is his '77
"Weighed my stock 77 today at the WSP truck scales. With an estimated 80 pounds of dog and cargo 3920. Front-2160, rear-1760, pass side-1940. "

There ya go...how in the heck does mine weigh so much?? ;D

I'll weigh it again after I pull all the tools/spare parts, seat, tool boxes, etc out and see what the D60, RuffStuff housing, 14 bolt hubs/rotors, 4 link, DOM for strg and link bars, etc ...bet I weigh even more! :eek:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The local scale our Hot Rod Club uses (my scaled weight) is very accurate as it's used for exporting hay and it's checked quite regularly for accuracy... even at lower weights.

Excellent. Now go weigh a stock U13, U14 and U15 and report back.;);D

Buddy weighed his absolutely stock rig... certified scale:
This is his '77
"Weighed my stock 77 today at the WSP truck scales. With an estimated 80 pounds of dog and cargo 3920. Front-2160, rear-1760, pass side-1940. "
There ya go...

Excellent also! Was that with him in it?
Maybe this is stuff that Steve can integrate into his data after double-checking.
Seems consistent with the stock weights someone quoted here not long ago, and close to the 350 I mentioned with mine, coming in at 4250lbs with two tanks of gas, tools and rescue gear in the back and me in the seat. Maybe my junk-in-the-trunk was a little heavier than I thought. I probably had a 23 gallon tank at that point too, which would account for a notable difference.
Perhaps the OE specs Steve has are "dry" as well? Depending on the sources, they could have quoted dry or wet (full of fuel and fluids) if they preferred. Don't know if there were any regulations about that back then.

Paul

Digger556

Here's mine at its pre-build weigh-in
CG1969Bronco10-24-13_zps03931552.jpg

Nowadays with full cage, tire carrier 23 gal tank, zf5, Atlas, etc, it is very close to 50/50 weight distribution. Sprung weight per corner is ~950lb when loaded. Loaded total weight ~4650 lbs

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Then let's dissect that chart to see if it makes sense... I can't answer these questions because I've only messed with 1 complete eB, so these are for EVERYONE else to answer:

1) It starts with the Roadster BASE curb weight, which is just a 170ci engine, some small 3sp. stickshift, 2 front seats, and a windshield frame; right? Were both fuel tanks standard, or was one of them optional? (Think about ALL years because that chart doesn't specify one.) Did the roadster come with doors? Or inserts? Think about the BASE version only.

2) The SU is 205 lbs heavier - does that mean the half-cab weighs exactly 205 lbs? Or is there something else included? The doors or just their window frames? What else?

3) The Wagon is 275 lbs heavier than the Roadster - does that sound reasonable for the doors and full top with glass & liftgate? Was anything else added to the BASE wagon? Rear seat?

4) Do all those numbers EXclude: V8 & larger radiator with more coolant (or was the radiator the same?), auto trans, A/C, P/S, carpet, headliners, bedwall panels, spare tire & carrier (inside & out), passenger door mirror, inside spare & hardware, swingaway spare & quarter-panel latch, & brake booster? What other weighty options were there - tires, hub caps, chrome trim, seat belts? What standard features' weights changed throughout the production run - engines, axles, t-case?

5) Does the vacuum wiper system weigh essentially the same as electric, or is one of them noticeably heavier? Which? By how much? Can we assume that chart refers to vacuum?

I assume those numbers include all fluids topped-up for driving, EXCEPT the gas tanks would probably only contain maybe 3-5 gal each.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru

X2. Tried and Proven kit. You have to weld the upper coil mount in so it could be raised. Or.... Just replace your front springs and make them 3-1/2 also.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1) It starts with the Roadster BASE curb weight, which is just a 170ci engine, some small 3sp. stickshift, 2 front seats, and a windshield frame; right? Were both fuel tanks standard, or was one of them optional? (Think about ALL years because that chart doesn't specify one.) Did the roadster come with doors? Or inserts? Think about the BASE version only.

A. Not even both front seats were standard. Passenger side was an option.
B. Single tank standard, second aux tank optional all years. Capacity varied by year and source of information from 10-13 gallons before '77. My '71 held 11.
C. Fiberglass door inserts only. No doors. Possible sheet metal inside panels, but not sure.

2) The SU is 205 lbs heavier - does that mean the half-cab weighs exactly 205 lbs? Or is there something else included? The doors or just their window frames? What else?

A. Doors. The top is minimal weight of perhaps 100lbs max? Not sure. Weight sounds fishy though. I'd bet each door weighs close to 100 lbs easy.
B. Bulkhead below the top.

3) The Wagon is 275 lbs heavier than the Roadster - does that sound reasonable for the doors and full top with glass & liftgate? Was anything else added to the BASE wagon? Rear seat?

A. Full hard top weighs in at about 125-150 max I think. Been discussed, but can't remember the details.
B. Rear seat was always optional as far as I know. Just like radio and passenger seat.
C. Bulkheads were available on wagons too, but not standard as far as I know.
D. Even free-running/lockout hubs were optional through the years.

4) Do all those numbers EXclude: V8 & larger radiator with more coolant (or was the radiator the same?), auto trans, A/C, P/S, carpet, headliners, bedwall panels, spare tire & carrier (inside & out), passenger door mirror, inside spare & hardware, swingaway spare & quarter-panel latch, & brake booster? What other weighty options were there - tires, hub caps, chrome trim, seat belts? What standard features' weights changed throughout the production run - engines, axles, t-case?

A. Radiators were different, but the 6-cyl was dropped altogether eventually.
B. Coolant "surge tank" for first three years would have added a few pounds to the V8's at least.
C. Auto trans and power steering 73 and later only.
D. Interior trim scaled up in '73 as well, but roof liner (5lbs of cardboard), full rubber mats (probably another 15 lbs over stock half mat) were available pretty early.
E. Tire size might have been very similar, but the outside carrier option would have added weight. But was still an option, so probably not counted in the base weight.
F. 16" steel wheels vs 15's as an option. Hub caps may have been optional.
G. Chrome "Sport" trim was available fairly early on, but likely weighs less than 10lbs total. But we could easily use the shipping weight for one of the new kits to narrow that down.

5) Does the vacuum wiper system weigh essentially the same as electric, or is one of them noticeably heavier? Which? By how much? Can we assume that chart refers to vacuum?

A. Probably very close to the same, but with a slight gain with electric I would think. Larger plastic washer tank, metal linkage, heavy motor, all taking the place of the larger fuel pump, rubber hoses and minimalistic wiper gear boxes. They probably weigh more than we think perhaps, but I still think the electric is a tiny bit more.
B. If the chart was from '66 through '68 it would have been with the older stuff with the 170 base engine and no trim options I would think. If the numbers come from '69 or later, it's still going to be without luxury options, and might even be for the six-cylinder still.

I assume those numbers include all fluids topped-up for driving, EXCEPT the gas tanks would probably only contain maybe 3-5 gal each.

Agree. No humans, just the jack and handle and spare tire, which they likely all had. No rear seat, no aux tank, maybe even no gas in the main (since they were all trying to be lighter than they were and use the absolute minimum numbers they could get away with). But I believe by then the oil and critical fluids were considered part of the weight. Not much before that though, most were "dry" weights I bet.