• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

5.0 Roller Towing/RV Camshafts

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I've been doing a little shopping for a good low end torque cam for a roller 5.0, and I'm not having much luck. I'm looking for an RV/Towing style cam. Was wondering what you folks have came up with.

Last edited:

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
A true towing cam is going to emphasize low RPM torque & HP. Lope is contrary to that. All of the common aftermarket roller cams are designed to increase HP at higher RPM's, so they're not going to be what you're wanting to do.

So either gear it down to put the engine at higher revs and run one of those cams that will have some sort of lope or other, or leave the gearing alone & try the stock cam. It may just do what you need and save some $$ in the process.

If the stock cam isn't enough I'd call several of the cam mfg's and get their service tech's recommendation(s). Chances are the numbers for the recommended cams are going to be smaller than you think. That is how it should be. Not following the cam mfg's or engine builder's advice is the easiest way to end up with an engine that behaves badly and doesn't do what you want it to do.

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I have installed this cam in two 5.0 Broncos

Owners were happy with selection, relatively stock EFI motors, dual exhaust...

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1048&sb=2

Is there a noticeable gain in torque at low RPMs?

The engine in question will have GT40 heads, Edelbrock Intake and 600 carb, long tubes, dual exhaust. The Bronco has a C4 with 4.11 gears and will likely be running 33-35" tires. Will see some mild/moderate off road use. A cam swap isn't necessary but while it's already out and pulled apart, I figured why not give it a little more low RPM power.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
According to the many users of that cam around here, it'll pull the stump right out of the tractor!
There are a couple of threads over on norcalbroncos.com with lots of feedback on that exact cam in different Broncos.

Hmm, when you gonna put one of those in mine Doug?;);D%)
Think Garry has a tune for it?

Paul

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
JGbronc - I have had great success with the Comp Cams XE258HR-12. 208, 216 duration at .050 and .533, .544 lift.

Great throttle response just off idle and pulls hard with great torque to 5000. This Cam would be a very nice fit for your Mild 5.0L build and give you the Low End Torque you are looking for.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would probably chank the timing gears and run your cam 4 degrees advanced befor changing out the cam assembly.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Hey jimmy. The stock 5.8 fi truck cam from about 95 works really well in 5.8 and 5.0. Loads of low end torque. Also if tou want to cheaply get more torque then pick an intake with longer runners. Those ford truck fuely intakes werent that large dor looks. The longer the runner the more torque you will supposedly have. I understand tounare carburated but you can get a carb intake with longer runners

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Hey Doug, what rockers did you use, did you have to change springs as recommended, and did stock push rods work?

Used the spring kit that that comes with the Cam, when you buy that package... Stayed with the rockers from the E7 Ford cast iron heads.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
It's tough to beat the stock grind of the Explorer cam.

latest

The stock Explorer cam is great for low-end torque and idles well.

The Comp 35-308-8 is a great cam as well. It has a little more lift than GT40 heads can take advantage of, but it's still great for the low-end.

The Comp 35-349-8 is another good choice. It's a perfect match for GT40 heads and gains just a smidge more on the top end, I usually recommend it for the 351 guys.

But, either of those cams are going to require a spring upgrade for sure which adds to cost. When it comes to dollars per Ft LBS. on the lowend, I'm not sure either is worth the extra cost over the stock Explorer cam.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I called the tech line at Comp and gave them all pertinent info and they came up with a cam for my particular use. I have done this before and worked out well. Ken

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
When you call the cam experts always ask for their name so when you call back the next day you can ask the exact same questions to a different "expert" and then compare the different cams that they have recommended...

I got three different recommendations...

Joe473

latest

The stock Explorer cam is great for low-end torque and idles well.

The Comp 35-308-8 is a great cam as well. It has a little more lift than GT40 heads can take advantage of, but it's still great for the low-end.

The Comp 35-349-8 is another good choice. It's a perfect match for GT40 heads and gains just a smidge more on the top end, I usually recommend it for the 351 guys.

But, either of those cams are going to require a spring upgrade for sure which adds to cost. When it comes to dollars per Ft LBS. on the lowend, I'm not sure either is worth the extra cost over the stock Explorer cam.
These two cams efi guy mentions are about as big as I would go in a bronco running a 347 or 351. On a 302 build I would consider smaller. Call comp and edelbrock and see what they say but keep the specs on these two in mind. Also pay attention to LSA if planning to run EFI.

I'm running the 35-349 in a 347 with gt40 heads, bc headers, 2-1/4 2 into 1 exhaust and weiand stealth autolite 4100. Some say I'm giving up horsepower with that combo. I may be but properly tuned the smaller heads carb and exhaust keep lots of low end torque and part throttle response you would only expect from efi. It also still revs so fast I set a rev limiter to 6200 rpm.
Keep your intended use, gearing, and overall combo in mind.

If you want cheap I have a 100k mile explorer cam that looks good. It's yours for the cost of shipping if you want it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk