• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Box Leak

GSP9

Loc.
State College
Thought I finally got all the leaks fixed in the Bronco but walked into the garage this morning and noticed fluid under the front axle (both axle seals (Dana 30)) and a spot up front which was dripping off the pitman arm. Traced the leak from the pitman arm up to the top of the power steering box. I had the Bronco out two days ago and maybe put 30 miles on it then parked it in the garage. No leaks yesterday but almost two full days later there's oil on the floor.

I'm not too concerned about the axle seals. It goes in for inspection in a few weeks and the guy I take it to can do those with his eyes closed so I'm just going to let him do it. I attached a picture of where the box is leaking and adjacent to it looks like an old leak. Is this a pretty easy fix in that it's just that seal between the body and the top plate of the box?

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 94

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
There is an o-ring seal in there. It is an easy fix, but you will have to pull the pitman arm as the whole sector shaft comes out with the top plate. Unless, you want to try to unscrew the adjusting screw from the top plate and hope you get the mesh set back correctly. I would just pull the pitman arm. May be a good tome to go ahead and replace the sector shaft seals as Murphy says that's what will leak next.

OP
OP
G

GSP9

Loc.
State College
I can pull the pitman arm no problem. I have a pitman arm puller.......somewhere in the garage.

Anyone else have that problem before where it takes a few days for a leak to surface? I would expect to see a leak shortly after driving it or maybe the following morning. But these leaks surfaced two whole days later.

KANE

Loc.
Pembroke, MA.
I can pull the pitman arm no problem. I have a pitman arm puller.......somewhere in the garage.

Anyone else have that problem before where it takes a few days for a leak to surface? I would expect to see a leak shortly after driving it or maybe the following morning. But these leaks surfaced two whole days later.

Mine leaks as well. I think I have the same issue as you.

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
I have a 74 and a 76 and have been through both of them from one end to the other and they are going to always leak from somewhere. I have come to the conclusion that if they are not leaking somewhere then that's when you have a problem