• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Share Your Marti Report Statistics With The Bronco Community

fosgate150

I have the same books(s). I have seen (but don't own) the first edition of the '76 Data Book and I don't remember the Special Decor in it. I was at the home of a Ford truck collector a few years back, was looking thru his materials and flipped to the Bronco section. It was date July '75 IIRC and it had neither the Explorer nor the Special Decor listed. The I don't trust my memory quite enough to call this a fact, but between it and a couple of references in books that talk about the Special Decor being a late addition to the lineup (and February '76 would be almost mid production/marketing year), it's a decently strong theory. Now to prove it....

I have not yet seen the Explorer listed in a Data or Facts book, at least the '72, '73 and '76 books I have, only in the special flyers.

BTW, if you hadn't guessed, I am embroiled in this because I am doing a story on Lee Gentry's '77 Special Decor.

And '77 was a little different because the solid color or white top option was added to the package.

It still seems so strange that Marti could turn up a number for '77 and not '76. Unless they are a combined number, of course... and considering the spectre of errors.

My 76 Special Décor was ordered on 4/26/1976, had the color match top deleted, and the Marti report has no total number for how many Special Décor models were produced that year.

Classic 4x4

My 76 Special Décor was ordered on 4/26/1976, had the color match top deleted, and the Marti report has no total number for how many Special Décor models were produced that year.

That's early! Probably overlaps with the Explorer. From what I have seen documented so far, the Special Decor appears in the February, 1976 publications. I don't have enough Explorer paper from that era to know when it debuted and when it ended.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
The paint and trim number should be the special decore number. Special decore is a trim option and your paint goes with that. Now the white top, who knows?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have the same books(s). I have seen (but don't own) the first edition of the '76 Data Book and I don't remember the Special Decor in it. I was at the home of a Ford truck collector a few years back, was looking thru his materials and flipped to the Bronco section. It was date July '75 IIRC and it had neither the Explorer nor the Special Decor listed.

I realized I had a copy of the first edition '76 Data Book tonight and it lists the '76 Special Decor as being available on 11-3-75 - about 2 months into the model year. I've never seen the Explorer package listed in any of the data books either - just separate brochures.

Todd Z.

Classic 4x4

I realized I had a copy of the first edition '76 Data Book tonight and it lists the '76 Special Decor as being available on 11-3-75 - about 2 months into the model year. I've never seen the Explorer package listed in any of the data books either - just separate brochures.

Todd Z.

Good info! What was the date of the first edition? If you also have the second edition, please compare the two and let us know if anything changed.

Classic 4x4

The paint and trim number should be the special decore number. Special decore is a trim option and your paint goes with that. Now the white top, who knows?

Not so sure. We'd need more samples to prove your theory but since the Special Decor was available on a Sport as well as the Base and with all but one color combo, that leaves a staggering array of combinations. Six base colors, three stripe colors, Base vs Sport Package. When I look at the numbers on the relatively small selection of Martis I can look at, I don't see a way to connect those dots. Plus, for '77 at least, the Marti number was called out.

Classic 4x4

Do we have a count of how many had yellow stripes? I have not seen any myself, besides mine.

We're having trouble getting the Special Decors counted, for Pete's sake! Yours is the only yellow stripe I've seen or heard of, though there are Brogurus (Bronco Gurus) here that might have seen more. If you read the last parts of the thread, we lament that Marti hasn't programmed to count the more obscure things like this. All us geeks just wanna know!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Do we have a count of how many had yellow stripes? I have not seen any myself, besides mine.

I've seen at least one other one - a 'barn find' in Ohio a year or two ago. I think it was copper colored with the yellow stripe - an unusual combination for sure.

Todd Z.

House

Minutia Militia
Do I count as a "Broguru" since I still have 20 pictures of it in my archives?
:cool:

Attachments

• 61037714-770-0@2X.jpg
    61037714-770-0@2X.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 52

House

Minutia Militia
Sorry Mr. Allen, I don't think I like "Broguru". Too much BRO and not enough NCO. LOL

BTW, here is "Half Cab"'s Yellow Stripe Marti...

Attachments

• C84980.jpg
    C84980.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 74

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Here's another yellow stripe SD

Attachments

• IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 54

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Good info! What was the date of the first edition? If you also have the second edition, please compare the two and let us know if anything changed.

No date on the first edition. First edition doesn't list the pass side seat and dash pad as options - 2nd edition does (I've always cataloged that as a '77 change). Second edition lists additional corrosion protection on inside of front fenders and some underside areas. A few clarifications/additions here and there, and a lot more info on Special Decor colors, etc. in the second edition. In the first edition, it appears that the Special Decors were only available in two colors - Cayan Red or Dark Jade Metallic. Changes in front spring ratings and ride heights. That's about it.

Todd Z.

67mustang390

The funny thing is, mine came with a white top. I always thought it must have been ordered that way, but this shows that's the way ford decided to make it. I wonder why it wasn't body color like the special decor package is supposed to be?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I noticed that...lets order a hamburger, hold the hamburger

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
The funny thing is, mine came with a white top. I always thought it must have been ordered that way, but this shows that's the way ford decided to make it. I wonder why it wasn't body color like the special decor package is supposed to be?

I noticed that...lets order a hamburger, hold the hamburger

Same color as body was standard, customer/dealer had the option to order a white top.