• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bestop - just saying hi

GeoffatBestop

Greetings.

I work for Bestop, in the marketing department.
I just signed up as a Vendor here.

But we don't sell anything directly, I haven't got any specials for you, and I suspect you all know exactly what we offer for EFBs already.

So I'm going to be a cruddy vendor.

On the other hand:

-- $75 to support this fantastic forum is a no-brainer.
-- If you've got questions on our Tops, let me know.
-- I just bought a 1975! So I'll be here a bit, and I hope that Vendor tag by my name gets a bit of attention when I ask stupid newbie questions!

clarrance

Bronco Guru
When are you going to offer a top without a huge hump in the middle, a way to fold the top down easily, and without the split side windows? Other than that I love my Bestop. Welcome aboard. We need a EB owners support over at Bestop. Glad to have you here.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Would yaw consider custom color choices? I'd be willing to pay a little more if I had color options. I'd be happy to wait for a dark grey top! Thx and welcome to the addiction!

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Ha! Looks like we're looking for more than discounts! Come up with good answers to those questions and I'll be you'd be considered a pretty good vendor.

Welcome to the board, there's not too much you could need to find out that's not here somewhere.

markyyg

Contributor
BestTop Guy

Welcome to the Forum! Please post pics of your 75' and bring on the Questions. Congradulations on your choise of 4x4's
Mark

OP
OP
G

GeoffatBestop

The general rule for inquiries into things like colors and custom manufacturing is to sort of smile, and say stuff like "take it into consideration."

Since I've only posted twice here, it would most likely be smartest for me to just sort of stick to that.

So here it is: "Bestop always appreciates input from customers, especially those of you who are true enthusiasts. Our Bronco product line is really a part of our ongoing efforts to help you keep fantastic vehicles on the road. We're a small enough company that I can easily get your feedback to the right places, and I will always do that. Keep those comments coming!

See? Vague promises, no real action. Compliment you on your vehicles, to try and turn the conversation back around.

But, you know, kinda crap.

If you want a tiny bit more insight, I can give it to you. This gives you the opportunity to beat up on me a bit. Pick apart my arguments and points. We can have fun!

OK then:

Keep in mind that our head sales guy would put a price tag on his mother's walker and sell that if he could make a profit. There's no strategy/brand loyalty/snobbery going on here. It's just profits.

We dropped a lot of the legacy colors simple due to demand. Or lack thereof.

YOU think it's a huge demand, because you know lots of people in the clubs and forums. But it's small. The entire Bronco market is small, and gets (sadly) smaller each year.

Black is one SKU, and it takes care of 80+ percent of the demand (a bit lower than that for old school stuff, probably, but higher for newer Wranglers - they really prefer black).

Why is it hard to create additional SKUs? Well, we don't sell direct. So we need to make a bunch of anything to "fill the pipeline" - stock the retailers, warehouses, etc.

And, we need to dedicate very precious manufacturing time and space.

It means we really need big, fast moving SKUs.

True, this means we're nowhere near as nimble as other vendors. That's a competitive disadvantage to any large company, not just ours. Colgate can't make premium soap and get it into every store nationwide very quickly or easily. So a local hippie can make it for the farmers market and maybe do well (in this analogy, our competition is the dirty hippie -- just a little joke!)

Custom manufacturing:

I personally would love this. I really push for this.

It would be AWESOME to be able to order a top in your color and fabric. Maybe get a custom embroidered tag.

But right now we're not keeping up with the demand for TJ and JK tops. We released a couple of new generation tops last year, and demand caught us flatfooted. It's one reason I'm hiding out here instead of spending time on WranglerForum.

Suggesting something like complicated custom work right now? Won't get listened to. We need to get a better handle on our core business, which is late model Wrangler tops.

Skin only: We're more open to that now than in the past. We sell the skins for other Jeep tops. I need to get a better answer for why we don't for Broncos.

Cheers!

PS:
Picked up my Bronco today. 1976. Fuel injected 5.0 from a truck. Really well built. 4 speed. No rust. Bad, but serviceable paint job.

Needs sliders and lockers, and I want to go from 33's to 35's.

Let's hope it passes emissions tomorrow (Boulder County, Colorado).

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good to have you aboard.. Welcome and Thank you!!!

Congrats on the new purchase!! Where's the Pics..? :)

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Would Besttop consider a 'single' run of white tops, with an extra skin? I'd be willing to bet you could almost 'pre sell' most if not all of them from either this forum or from the Bronco vendors.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
Welcome aboard, and thanks for the open and straight forward talk on the business plan.

I understand the pains and hope you have the thick skin to keep you around as an owner and a vendor. There's a great group of people on this site with a ton of information and knowledge. Good luck.

Dave

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I want a grey top and doors, No help anywhere except custom, but need the best top door FRAMES only, hate to pay for complete doors to just toss the skins aside.

ahansen_1985

Bronco Guru
Loc.
amity, oregon
One thing i wish you guys would make is a set of full soft doors! No inserts needed.... That and a soft top that needed no frame if using a 8point cage:)

1966,351w,m5od,205....3.5" lift, 2" body, 38.5's

OP
OP
G

GeoffatBestop

One thing i wish you guys would make is a set of full soft doors! No inserts needed.... That and a soft top that needed no frame if using a 8point cage:)

Our two piece doors only work with the sport door inserts? I honestly did not expect that. Feeling a bit useless and foolish. (Did I mention we're really Jeep-focused around here? I've owned 4 of them over the years!).

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Now that you have a Bronco there will be no more Jeeps. There just no going back.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
i need a supertop skin only... in white. have mine for 8 years now and the seams have aged, it went from white to dirty white, zipper stitching are gone to shreds.

Did I mention I want a re-skin only option for the Bronco Supertop, I'll take it in black if it is an only (color) option, But I'd be really happy if you got white.. :)