• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

roll bar opinions

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
That cage is made at/by http://www.protofab4x4.com/. you can look them up, they offer several configurations. Jeff's does enough volumen that they get some "deals", so if you want "outiftted" with more stuff, check out their website, then call and talk to JBG...although you could order directly from Protofab... most of us do (I did on my bumpers).

As well, Mike at ExtremeCustomeFabrication http://extremecustomparts.com/c-69051-roll-cages-roll-bars-add-on-kits.html makes a great cage. He is a vendor here...so you can check the vendor forum above, he often has "sales"...and can also ship fully welded.

Also, another awesome cage is the "Crab cage". There should be a thread in the vendor forum or you can do a search on here.

Lots of great choices. Sometimes, you can find a local fabricator that can do a great job for you...and make new friends. Good luck.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I buy Protofab stuff exclusively. Their quality and attention to detail are second to none. They are also 40 miles from my house... If I was going to buy a cage from them, I would deal directly with them personally. JBG drop ships them from AZ, so your paying freight AND a middle man.

A big factor in buying a cage is the freight. They are big, and aren't shipped UPS... When I lived in NM it was much cheaper to drive out here and pick up my cage, than it was to have it shipped!

Good luck.

70_Steve

Old Guy
That cage is made at/by http://www.protofab4x4.com/. you can look them up, they offer several configurations. Jeff's does enough volumen that they get some "deals", so if you want "outiftted" with more stuff, check out their website, then call and talk to JBG...although you could order directly from Protofab... most of us do (I did on my bumpers).
I run a Protofab cage as well. They're about 45 miles from my house!!

JBG and Protofab quote the same price for a basic family cage, but in JBGs picture I see a front Grab Bar that is optional on Protofabs site. If you order through JBG be real sure of exactly what you're getting. Another option is that if you order from Protofabs site, they will sell the cage as a Weld-It-Yourself Kit. It's a little cheaper that way, plus you save a ton on shipping. Might want to check around local to you to see what someone might charge for welding the cage together.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I got my cage custom built and installed for less than $1000. You might want to try a few off road or race shops around your area first. This way you can deal locally and get exactly what you want. BTW, 2" tube is pretty fat. Most use 1.75 now.

bwilson293

Loc.
Clarkston
I agree with looking at a racing shop or custom welder route. I recently bought the weld it yourself family cage from toms. unfortunatly i was out of town when it was welded together, it didnt come with footpads, which i knew we would have to fab along with the frame tie-ins. what i wasnt aware of is that being 6'4'' my head would be sticking out of the top. so after removing it and welding an additional 4'' on each drop, fabricating it myself would have been much more inexpensive. the end result was worth it.