• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco in Norway

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
New day in the garage, continued on the painless wiring harness and ran the relevant parts through the firewall. I have the 3 port body with passenger, engine and driver side but choose to run also run the passenger side through the driver hole and then let it run along the firewall in the engine department (wrapped in some serious protection) to get as much cables as I could out from the cramped space behind the dash...

That leaves as you can see half the amount of cables behind the dash:

4dccc30e21ccc8f8fa3309acc8df4457.jpg

Versus how it would have looked otherwise:

4ce90fcb71d802fbe512331124babce8.jpg

I also discovered that my seat frame is poorly welded and the bracket modified somehow. I’ll have to order some new seats, I would have loved the originals but I want some sort of headrest for safety.. any good tips of a basic model? Check out how my seats looked:

83eda1aa7da2b0c9c3ff145315b3862e.jpg

The dash also seemed to be a pre 72 model as it has the placement of the wash/wiper knob on the lower vs higher row... so as many of you has suggested it appears the frame and interior has been replaced.

f3f289d089c5eff4c139829cd35ccb6a.jpg

It might also explain why my park break bracket doesn’t fit, or is it the bracket that is wrong? See the couple of inch space up to the dash. Thinking of just fabricating a longer bracket so that I can connect it to the dash. Thoughts?

3a1aa9f3c1d1159b52821ef6cb337eda.jpg

Next on the list I had struggled to loose the alternator(?) cable, painless has a replacement but I’m not sure if I can get the old one offf without ruining the gauge. Any tips? Alternatively I can just link in parts of the old cable with the new harness?

3d33436876c89daa0d0429cc38b58c4d.jpg

49967fe8151b99468ef38c67a7056d6b.jpg

Plus a photo of the engine bay:

1e5d04026e450d1ed9ef1105dfd85201.jpg

My alternator is of the old type which needs a separate box to regulate it. I’m thinking of replacing with a newer version that has that regulator integrated. Less cables and hassle.. any reason not too?

That’s it for tonight.. current state of the dash area:

e4754b83db74e9672ae8d6560028c39b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
Randomly I found the 77 “fuel doors” in the same color as the body.. so I don’t know if my body was repaired with pre 77 parts or what happened... a bit of a case of a bastard bronco :)

Otherwise making slow and steady progress painless has been installed ex engine bay where I’m waiting for a few new parts.

Can anyone help identify my rear end housing? Is this the 9” the 77 is supposed to have?

0fbdf71a9efbd1d649442d37673eeaba.jpg

d430a80624b586a605e67562ae95c421.jpg

In progress of installing a speedometer cable I also discovered that I lack the “gear and bracket” at the transfer case... it was replaced by a nice wood plug:

b2eefad5cf8834d40babc7998608eba6.jpg

I also tried to repair my door hinges with a kit. It was a nightmare to get the old pins out but I got there eventually and drilled out a larger whole for the new parts.. though I struggled to get the new pin in all the way.. it was sticking up a quarter of a inch or so... so that doesn’t fly.. splashed out 200 bucks for a new set of removables from TBP...

D.R.Y.

Loc.
The Netherlands
Great progress , it sometimes amazing what you find the previous owner dreamed up and did. I like your do it once and do it right thinking . You won' regret it in the end.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also discovered that my seat frame is poorly welded and the bracket modified somehow. I’ll have to order some new seats, I would have loved the originals but I want some sort of headrest for safety.
83eda1aa7da2b0c9c3ff145315b3862e.jpg

Non-original seats. From underneath at least, I've never seen a Bronco seat with that plastic crush zone in it. Could have been swapped in as a safety requirement in your country, or the old seats were just worn out. Very common.
Or someone just didn't like the original seats. Also very common.

The dash also seemed to be a pre 72 model as it has the placement of the wash/wiper knob on the lower vs higher row.
f3f289d089c5eff4c139829cd35ccb6a.jpg

Interesting. Does look to be the '74-'77 because it has the correct "light bars" (indicator lights) for the later orientation. Someone may just have moved the switches around.
Or they carefully cut the light bar holes in an earlier dash to get part of the look back.

It might also explain why my park break bracket doesn’t fit, or is it the bracket that is wrong? See the couple of inch space up to the dash. Thinking of just fabricating a longer bracket so that I can connect it to the dash. Thoughts?
3a1aa9f3c1d1159b52821ef6cb337eda.jpg

Strange one there. Looks like a correct assembly, but may have something missing. Not sure.
The '76 and '77 units were different from the earlier models, but yours looks like the correct later one to me at just a glance.
You could create the longer bracket, but I would try to shim the lower stud to see if that will angle the assembly up enough to at least close the gap somewhat. At least that way you'd only need a shorter bracket.
I'll see if I can find those pics of the new and old pedal assemblies side by side to see if we can tell what yours is. The more I look at it though, the more it looks like it's from a different vehicle.

Next on the list I had struggled to loose the alternator(?) cable, painless has a replacement but I’m not sure if I can get the old one off without ruining the gauge. Any tips? Alternatively I can just link in parts of the old cable with the new harness?

You could use part of the old one, but I would try to get it off more before you do. Better to not have any new splices that could cause trouble down the road. How hard have you tried pushing it through? Is the rubber just too hard to compress?
Alternately (no pun intended!) you could replace that instrument/gauge with a volt-meter instead. I still prefer the ammeter, but if you do decide to replace your old alternator with a newer, higher output version you will no longer be using that larger Black w/yellow wire anyway.

My alternator is of the old type which needs a separate box to regulate it. I’m thinking of replacing with a newer version that has that regulator integrated. Less cables and hassle.. any reason not too?

Not really. It's usually considered a good upgrade. Usually what's called the 3G version, with from 95 to 130 amp output and internally regulated.
For either you will no longer use the existing 10-gauge Black w/yellow wire and instead run a larger gauge wire (6ga battery cable is the most common) directly to the battery, or starter relay on the battery side.

Alternator photo:
c5657a97ebe5919781c261d0a570702b.jpg

7c99b08c9156e70e4a8e1d2f473c7ce1.jpg

Is that a "D7" I see there in the stamped numbers? If so, you may actually have the original alternator. It's not that there are not replacements available with the same numbers, but the numbers are all over the place when you purchase from the aftermarket, and the "D7" means '77 in Ford-speak.

Just a little extra cool-factor only though. The newer 3g style is still the better choice for most. But also, if this one works well still, nothing wrong with deciding to keep it.

Can anyone help identify my rear end housing? Is this the 9” the 77 is supposed to have?
0fbdf71a9efbd1d649442d37673eeaba.jpg

d430a80624b586a605e67562ae95c421.jpg

Yes, that is the '77-only Ford 9" housing. Can't tell if the center section and it's gears are original without looking at them of course, but the housing is of the correct, reinforced heavy-duty type.

The leaf springs look to have either sagged out enough for the main pack to have settled down on to the top of the "overload" spring, OR, there is an add-a-leaf on the bottom.

Very clever use of wood in the speedometer cable hole! I wonder what happened that cause them to use that? Maybe the old cable end just rusted completely off.

Having fun yet?;D

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Loads of fun I'm sure.. LOL

Just hit one thing at a time

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
Thanks for the intel Paul! Moving ahead and replaced my water pump yesterday, new parts arrived today so replacing radiator hoses and the alternator as well! Plus the new parts for the heater oh and the new door hinges!

Both boxes are from toms, wonder what’s in the second one!

5e732e64f8682e47a63c74c0ca5ee631.jpg

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
3g alternator upgrade... any wise words on the best way to mount it? It’s a bit deeper so the + wire connection on the back touches my engine block slightly.. the adjuster arm is then almost fully extended... too little margin left for me to sleep comfortably...

I don’t want to start grinding the block - so maybe just extend the adjustment bracket? Can’t seem to find them longer on the shelf in any of the stores? Weird I can’t seem to find many others with this problem...

Might just weld it to make it a tad longer?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
See if clocking the housing on the alternator helps your cause.
do an online search for the procedure.

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
Update! So i decided not to clock the housing on the alternator as that got a bit too technical for me.... So i extended my bracket extension arm and got a bit longer alternator belt on the way.. so that should work!

I´ve also manged to complete the dash wiring and installed my new ididit (just realsed that writes as I DID IT?) column (with a wheel!) as well as the new speedmeter cable.. And replaced the water pump.. so making progress here... will put in some photos via my mobile:

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
Next up i got completely carried away on stuff from TBP today.. I have been digging working on the car in the garage and keep finding new stuff i want to fix... one issue on the todo list is that my carb is leaking , but we had spare one from my brothers jeep i planned on putting on.. But my installing my wire harness i got real up close with my fuel tank and hoses etc and it all looks pretty rotten... I eventually wanted to go down the EFI route so i figured why not just jump into it.... so i ordered a whole bunch of stuff including relative to my EFI:

FiTech Go EFI 4, 600
23 gal fuel tank w hyperfuel pump
Fuel line and adapter kit for the fuel tank..
Fuel Pump Blockoff Plate (almost forgot that one)

That should have all the parts i need.. in addition to that i..Then realized i need a new intake manifold (only have 2 port) so i called summit and asked for the one that had the lowest profile.. (as TBP mentioned i might have issues with my hood clerance).. So i have a Edelbrock 21213 (aka Perfomer 289) on the way, which should fit...

I've never done this before so learning by doing.. (and asking you guys! /google) but i am uncertain if i also need to do something with my HEI setup... As you can see below that is what i have, and i know for instance it has vacum.. So my question is if i need to replace it or not.. from what i can see its a speedway, but i couldnt find a part number on it.. it does say LATCH on the lid if that helps...

An other question.. which air filter are people using without a bodylift and fitech? I´ve been told it will be tight... maybe ill have to do a small body lift :)

Oh and for those that notice the random set of bolts used all over the place the car is a mess of bolts.. so i have a fresh full bolt set coming in to get things in order...

38cade255faf7e957de6d4d322762eef.jpg

a5a777755981794a546c30ae79fdf16d.jpg

Maybe i can go down this route that JAFO did. Looks pretty sweet, but i was hoping to have some spare space for some tools where that filter sits.

I like mine, but it wasn't cheap. Bought from Summitracing. I like it because I have easy access to everything even with the breather installed. Edelbrock intake, Holley carb. Figure with a washable filter you break even after a while of not buying paper filters.
SPE-9729 4" PIPE $23.97
SPE-9736 AIR FILTER $30.97
SPE-9771 TUBE COUPLER 4" $14.97
SPE-98499 AIR HAT $99.99

Supports7_zps1lbrtep7.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
Update! While I wait for more parts.. I ripped out the old fuel tank, still need to take out the aux one and all the old piping...

8a60012ba6b52ffcca4e3eff24dd8c9c.jpg

Then onto more exciting things, following Nashville early bronco’s videos for a lot of help. That guy is a lifesaver!

b3b3ca2bf81b1494ff0be50978e345a9.jpg

54b8608c92ed257f8d3605955232ed05.jpg

4f25c2bec0be100b061f538d0fcd8994.jpg

77a859b00b3bbd010ea5d043f5245531.jpg

Cleaning it up!

OP
OP
krdale

krdale

Loc.
Norway
While I wait for the rest of the parts...

Cut the heads of the old bolts and used them to guide the new intake on..

bcb5e88eed2b6e8a8debc8a70827b7c8.jpg

It surely isn’t a engine room of matching colors and harmony... but as long as it runs :)

cdd19e6686be822853463dfd905fdfc8.jpg