• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Looking for Help in Atlanta

gvsho

Hi. I'm looking to buy a '76 Bronco in Atlanta, GA, and am looking for a good referral for someone to do a thorough pre-purchase vehicle inspection this week. The dealership recommended someone but obviously I'd like to find someone independent.

I'm planning to fly down this weekend and look myself but I'm fairly new at this and would like a professional opinion.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Greg

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Greg,
I don’t know of any professionals but I would be happy to go look it over myself and send you pictures if that would help. Just let me know....
Mark

OP
OP
G

gvsho

I appreciate that, Mark. Here's a link to it at a classic car dealership...

https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/3892-atl/1976-ford-bronco

My impression is that it was a completed restoration and THEN a faux patina was added subsequently. From the pictures, I see a piece of chrome wraparound trim missing and a slight dent in the right middle of the tailgate but other than that it appears very solid and lines look straight.

For the price (and I negotiated a little better than what's listed) I think it COULD be worth it if the 'patina' that was added can be removed without having to re-paint. I'm hoping all of the rust that appears could also be removed easily.

I'm looking for something I don't have to put any work into to drive a few thousand miles a year and to go on some sporadic road trips. I plan to leave it in the 'patina' finish until I get a bunch of free time (probably when I retire) to do it some better justice with a full resto.

Please let me know your thoughts and I'd really appreciate the driveby. I'd like to compensate you for your time somehow so please let me know how I can do that. I think I'm still going to hire an outfit to exhaustively go through all the mechanicals but your opinion as a restorer and someone that knows how to approach it from THAT angle will be invaluable.

Look forward to hearding from you. If you send me a private message, I'll give you my personal email/phone.

Thanks again.
Greg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
My impression is that it was a completed restoration and THEN a faux patina was added subsequently.

do love that patina look.. Good luck! Glad you got someone to help check it out for ya

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Hate to say it but it seems kind of foolish to mess up a movie car to take away the patina and hopes that it might be worth saving underneath. You could buy a nice looking car with a nice paint job or original patina for less money. The underside certainly doesn't look like it's been fully restored and more along the line that is just something they found and weathered to make it look older. The dash looks like a quick respray, movie cars are notorious for bubble gum, dry wall patch, and coat hanger repairs.

OP
OP
G

gvsho

Thanks for the input. I guess that's what I'm trying to find out myself. If it works out I plan on keeping the patina (it kinda grows on you the more you look at it) but I really want to make sure it doesn't need any work given the cost. If everything's worn out and really needs to be replaced then I don't think it's worth the price.

I was thinking the same about taking the budget and getting something that's definitely been restored and doesn't involve all the guess work.

We'll see...

Thanks again.

EBGeek

Welcome to the group, Greg. Streetside Classics is only about 15 miles from me, so if you happen to still be interested in it, I'll be glad to go see it and take some pics of the problem areas (as I know they're accentuating the good in their pics). At first glance, I think they're asking for a premium price because (1) it was in a movie and (2) its in a consignment shop for sale. Different folks definitely have different budgets and I don't mean to dissuade you from pursuing it, but they should definitely work with you on price if you're serious about getting it.

EBGeek

Greg - I think them using the term 'full restoration' might be a little liberal. I see some newish parts underneath, but here are a few things I noticed:

- Rear suspension lift via lift block instead of new spring pack
- Oil and transmission leaks (maybe not bad, but they're both wet on underside)
- Floor mat could be covering a ton of floor rust
- Complete lack of weatherstripping, indicating a possible paint/bondo job for the movie

The weatherstripping missing is what would give me the most pause, unless they can provide pictures before it was restored. In agreement with Hyghlndr said, it appears the outside got attention to make it movie-ready, but the inside/internals likely didn't get a second look.

OP
OP
G

gvsho

Hi All! Man this is a great group of folks here. I'm a little sad to report that the Bronco in Atlanta was a NO GO. I was really looking forward to the road trip back but I got some GREAT advice from Mark who went and gave it a good look for me.

I think it would be a great project truck for someone but that being said it was overpriced quite a bit. I don't mind doing some odds and ends but that one seemed to need much more than that.

I now have my eye on one up in Grand Rapids, MI. For about the same $$ it seems so much nicer. Quick question...I'm in general looking for a '76 or '77 since they were standard with PS and PB and a few other more modern amenities that the earlier models don't have. This one is a '73 but it seems like it was REALLY restored and already has the factory air and heat.

Here's my question...what am I sacrificing with a '73 that I would get with a '76 or '77? Here's a link to it if anyone cares to take a look and give some opinions.

https://grautogallery.com/vehicles/5694/1973-ford-bronco

I'll start a new post for this one so that others can chime in if they wish.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

BTW - Mark also mentioned I should head to the Super Celebration this April which I think I'm gonna do - my daughter says she's on board with that surprisingly enough. If I can't find something before then, I guess I'll have to check there for something I like.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The only special tbing about 76 and 77 is disc brakes stock, but 72-75 have power steering and auto options factory as well and disc brake conversion kit is only $700 and takes 2 hours to install. Then you have everything the 76-77 has.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Steering ratio was faster on the 76-77. It changed from 5.3 turns to 3.8 but you don’t know if this one was retrofitted. 73 had a steel main tank. 77 is the only year for the plastic one. Rear drums are bigger on 76-77......