• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1974 Sport Survivor...Next steps and recommendations needed.

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

Think I would like to go route of fixing through holes and using Ospho on rust (being careful not to get any on paint). Then try to match paint at local auto paint supplier, since won't be visible with mat over top I think this would work well.

Researched several non-welding options for holes including 3m Panel Adhesive and a few of Eastwood No Weld Hole Repair Kits. Have any of you used these products and recommend one over other?

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I have used 3m panel adhesive multiple times on floors and like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

I have used 3m panel adhesive multiple times on floors and like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat boy - have you used it to repair holes similar to passenger side size or did you use to adhere patched metal?

Thanks.

darcytribe

Wonderful find. I love everything about that wagon! Love the route you are choosing too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

The Marti report on my ‘74 states 427 Broncos in Samoa Lime Wonder how many are still around, and belong to members here?

LUBr LuvR - great info, was planning on getting a Marti report to match up with Build Sheet. I guess with you, me and TheLimeRanger we have 3 of us that we know of. Would be cool to know how many others are out there.

Would love to see pics!

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
The Marti report on my ‘74 states 427 Broncos in Samoa Lime Wonder how many are still around, and belong to members here?

I had a 74' Sport that color for a couple of years (06'-07'), sold it to a guy to restore, he dropped the project, another guy got it and jacked it up, cut it and painted it red!!!%):eek:%)

Attachments

• FSCN0863.JPG
    FSCN0863.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 39

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a 74' Sport that color for a couple of years (06'-07'), sold it to a guy to restore, he dropped the project, another guy got it and jacked it up, cut it and painted it red!!!%):eek:%)

Oh no! Not that there’s anything wrong with red at all, Broncos look great in most every color - but that is a sweet looking Bronco just like it was. I sure would have kept it just like you had it. Too bad the timing back then the survivors didn’t have the value they do now.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LUBr LuvR - great info, was planning on getting a Marti report to match up with Build Sheet. I guess with you, me and TheLimeRanger we have 3 of us that we know of. Would be cool to know how many others are out there.

Would love to see pics!

Mtymse63,

Here’s a few pics. One repaint but otherwise mostly original except for the obvious variation on the original Ranger stripes! Lived in El Paso all its life until breaking the cardinal rule of buying sight unseen off Craigslist. Was lucky it turned out OK. Lots of pics from the PO, and the fact that he turned down more more cash in hand waved under his nose after we agreed on a price told me he was a pretty standup guy. We’re still friends and keep in touch.

Attachments

• C234CE23-0B35-4DAB-9D68-E0EC092FB26B.jpg
    C234CE23-0B35-4DAB-9D68-E0EC092FB26B.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 52
  • A3E8709E-24AA-4A8F-90A2-C1BE4C4B3043.jpg
    A3E8709E-24AA-4A8F-90A2-C1BE4C4B3043.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 44458002-C013-46F9-97C1-B6D143979549.jpg
    44458002-C013-46F9-97C1-B6D143979549.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

LUBr LuR - SWEEET RIDE! Thanks for sharing, keeps me inspired to do all the work to retain this baby as a Survivor. Your pic also help me confirm that my steel wheels should be silver/gray. I've researched and the consensus is Ford went to silver/gray in 1974.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks. It is a neat color, with a definite 70s vibe. There’s several threads on here about the wheel colors. I can take a closeup of the spare if you’d like a better picture.

The following is a quote from the thread: “The wheel color from '74 to '76 was a 'dove' grey. The '77s had the argent wheels, and before that they were white.
The powder color that very closely matches the correct grey is called 'window grey'.”

This one is a 7/03/74 build date, and it shows “133 with these paint/trim codes” which I take to mean Rangers. Wonder how many will be Sport models on your Marti report? Be sure to order the deluxe report ($46.00) or you won’t see the production numbers.

There is a product called Rust Freeze by Machinist Mate that will convert rust and not turn metal black. It IS pricey though, but is used very sparingly and you really have to brush it out. I keep it off the paint as much as possible, but have not had discoloration and they claim you can use it over painted areas.

https://machinistmate.com/pages/rust-freeze

Looking forward to seeing your progress and congrats!

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

As you know and hear, if i had a nickel for every time I hear someone say, "wish I hadn't sold".... I'm trying to be careful and not be that guy...:eek:

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

LUBr LuvR - thanks for the info, I just may look into the Rust Freeze. I've got several gallons of Ospho from other projects and have use it so far with what appears to be good success. I do like the fact that they say it can be put on paint, even thought I would take precautions to keep as much off as possibe.

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

LUBr LuvR - Yes, would love to have any information you have about wheel colors and close up pic of your wheel. Will order Marti Report soon to see more specifics. Thanks for the great information.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
http://http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278222&highlight=Argent+wheels

Mtymse63,

This is one of the links that has some good information, and a couple closer pics of the spare. One word of caution when using the Rust Freeze, it will be tacky for a long time (about two weeks) if you don’t heat cure it. So it’s not something you want to do before heading out on a drive....but it’s great for creeping into seams and areas you can’t reach that you want treated.

Ospho and Evapo rust are great products too. Depending on what I’m doing with the part and where it is, determines which one gets used.

Attachments

• B98BE7C1-0528-4C9E-AE93-F48E886DCA15.jpg
    B98BE7C1-0528-4C9E-AE93-F48E886DCA15.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 24
  • BCB196AD-690A-4949-9C7E-B5F0E1EC0301.jpg
    BCB196AD-690A-4949-9C7E-B5F0E1EC0301.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 26

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
As you know and hear, if i had a nickel for every time I hear someone say, "wish I hadn't sold".... I'm trying to be careful and not be that guy...:eek:

Definitely don't be that dude.. lol

NC_Pinz

Subscribing to this thread.

I've also got a survivor and have been wrestling with what to do. Your exterior paint is better than mine, but my floor is solid with no holes and very little surface rust. For the moment, I'm waxing the exterior to protect what is there. I need to do something with the surface rust that is underneath.

OP
OP
Mtymse63

Mtymse63

Hello NC_Pinz Welcome!

Always seems to be a give and take with things in these EBs. I've learned a ton from the great peeps on this forum. Don't forget to post pics.