• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New to me 1970

67RT

Bronco Guru
My next thing is going to be some electrical sorting. There are at least two different trailer light harnesses that need to be removed along with reconnecting the tag light, and figuring out some other little electrical issues. Anyone have a decent chrome bumper in Maryland or Delaware? I want to remove the chunky steel rear bumper with a stock one but I think a brand new chrome one will look funny, an older one with a little patina would look better.
I will keep my eye out for you..

BigB

I liked that other combo better, just my .02

that dang light is on again!! ;D

I also think the black wheels with trim rings looked better! Tied in well with the black hood,soft top and body color.

Sure is a nice looking Bronco. Good luck with her.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
So with the removal of the trailer harness I have opened a can of worms. Found that the passenger brake light didn't work, also found a lone wiring running from the front passenger turn signal to the rear passenger turn signal? It was zip tied to the frame. Some major hack job electrical work going on. Bunch of loose wires, got everything to work on the drivers side now I have to figure out why there is no signal for brake or turn signal for the passenger side taillights! I did get the tag light working and all the side marker lights. I hope to attack it this afternoon again.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
All the exterior lights now work. Removed all the extra trailer harness mess. Cleaned up the rear harness the best I could. It really should be replaced but since everything works I will leave it for now.

Think I will polish up some of the bright work and try to buff out a few stains in the paint. I got a giant hole in the quarter panel from a CB antenna that I have to figure our what to do with it. Some other cosmetic stuff. The weather around here sucks so I cant drive it anyway!

67RT

Bronco Guru
So with the removal of the trailer harness I have opened a can of worms. Found that the passenger brake light didn't work, also found a lone wiring running from the front passenger turn signal to the rear passenger turn signal? It was zip tied to the frame. Some major hack job electrical work going on. Bunch of loose wires, got everything to work on the drivers side now I have to figure out why there is no signal for brake or turn signal for the passenger side taillights! I did get the tag light working and all the side marker lights. I hope to attack it this afternoon again.

I blame this on the stoned Californians that owned it before me. It came with roach clips, a falcon or eagle feather, one of those weird cowboy leather and stone neck tie things, and a few other scary things in the glove box.

I probably stained the paint in a few places by putting ospho on the worn thru areas. Many areas are worn close to primer, so tread lightly.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Pete, I am sure it was old work. Hell some of the wires were so brittle they just snapped off.

The pic below is of the hole from the cb antenna and two bolt holes from what I assume was a ranch hand mount. Any ideas on what to do with these holes? The chances of finding a cb antenna the same as what ever was on here is slim. I considering just cutting a piece of plate and bolt it over the hole paint it black? I was just thinking of putting two bolts back in the other holes? Maybe something pan or button head?

I want to try and keep the inside of this truck dry.

Attachments

• DSC02207.jpg
    DSC02207.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 56

67RT

Bronco Guru
Pete, I am sure it was old work. Hell some of the wires were so brittle they just snapped off.

The pic below is of the hole from the cb antenna and two bolt holes from what I assume was a ranch hand mount. Any ideas on what to do with these holes? The chances of finding a cb antenna the same as what ever was on here is slim. I considering just cutting a piece of plate and bolt it over the hole paint it black? I was just thinking of putting two bolts back in the other holes? Maybe something pan or button head?

I want to try and keep the inside of this truck dry.

Do you like the rivets on the doors covering old truck mirror holes?? Who needs rust when humans can put holes in them.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You can't make that rig look bad....

Nice look

I swapped the wheels from my other bronco. I like them but not 100% sure. The wheels that were on it were 10" wide with only 31" tires, so they bulged out a lot. Plus they were the older BFG All terrains so they were pretty old had a lot of tread. It would look good with a 33 or 35, but I am not going that big. These rims are 8" wide and have 31x 10.50 tires that are brand new. Truck is stock no lift. Some day I would like a set of slots and go back uncut.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Update on the bronco. I have cleaned it a bunch but the 48 year old paint is what it is. Polished the chrome, got the wiring cleaned up, replaced the drives side air box ( it had a one piece storage box I removed I like the fresh air on my feet!). Put on new weather stripping on the doors, replaced the pads on the brake and clutch peddle, and a few other little things. Bolted a piece of plate over the old antenna hole and stuck a few SS bolts in the other holes. I have a basic roll bar on order. Took it for a 15 minute drive yesterday and it seems to run good, should have the roll bar next week and hopefully better weather. Time to cruise!!!

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Roll bar is in. I just did a basic San Felipe bar from Wild Horses. It gave me something to attach the 3 point belts to. Made some adjustments on the seat belts. So it is ready to cruise. I still have a few things to do:
Install a radio and speakers.
Continue to remove the old glue from the interior rear fenders that head on the old carpet. (not fun!)
Got to get the gauge lights to work.

Weather is getting better may take it for a little drive today. And plan on trying to take it home the end of this week. It is in my shop at work and taking up space I don't have. I am sure I will find little things I want to fix once I drive it a while.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Roll bar is in. I just did a basic San Felipe bar from Wild Horses. It gave me something to attach the 3 point belts to. Made some adjustments on the seat belts. So it is ready to cruise. I still have a few things to do:
Install a radio and speakers.
Continue to remove the old glue from the interior rear fenders that head on the old carpet. (not fun!)
Got to get the gauge lights to work.

Weather is getting better may take it for a little drive today. And plan on trying to take it home the end of this week. It is in my shop at work and taking up space I don't have. I am sure I will find little things I want to fix once I drive it a while.

Can you post some pics of the roll bar install when you have time? Would like to see how it looks since I never took the time to put the family cage in.

I thought you would sell those old style Metro Seals on this site for big $$!

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Yup I had a smile on my face driving it at lunch. But I forgot how not fun it is to drive a three speed around town with no power steering, and manual brakes LOL!

Pete, I used the good set of door seals that came with the truck. It needed them so why not. It is a solid truck it deserves good parts.
I will get a pic of the roll bar once I get it outside with the top down. I did not use the family cage that came with the truck, I didn't have anyone that could weld it up for me in the time frame I needed.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Yup I had a smile on my face driving it at lunch. But I forgot how not fun it is to drive a three speed around town with no power steering, and manual brakes LOL!

Pete, I used the good set of door seals that came with the truck. It needed them so why not. It is a solid truck it deserves good parts.
I will get a pic of the roll bar once I get it outside with the top down. I did not use the family cage that came with the truck, I didn't have anyone that could weld it up for me in the time frame I needed.

Cool. Good you got the belts hooked up properly. It is a solid truck and I look forward to seeing what you do with it..

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Well I took the bronco on its first major shake down tour yesterday. Drove it home from work about 30 min drive, then drove it out to diner and back so about 1:30 driving time. Didn't trust the fuel gauge so stopped got gas found it is close to correct, think I will do like my other broncos and just fill it at 1/4 tank. Truck runs really good, few little quirks, the blinkers stopped working at one point, but fixed that with a push of a connector under the dash. No gauge lights so it was fun guessing how fast I was driving on my way home in the dark. The 4.10 gears and 31" tires make the rpm a little high at highway speeds. Cruises really good at 50 mph, but around here you need to do at least 60, I pushed it to 60 but I wouldn't want to do that for long. One strange issue I found was I put the high beams on and after about 2 minutes the head lights went out completely! Pushed the high beam switch and a bout 2 seconds later the head lights cam back on? Didn't mess with it anymore since it is really dark out here and didn't want to find a ditch!

67RT

Bronco Guru
Well I took the bronco on its first major shake down tour yesterday. Drove it home from work about 30 min drive, then drove it out to diner and back so about 1:30 driving time. Didn't trust the fuel gauge so stopped got gas found it is close to correct, think I will do like my other broncos and just fill it at 1/4 tank. Truck runs really good, few little quirks, the blinkers stopped working at one point, but fixed that with a push of a connector under the dash. No gauge lights so it was fun guessing how fast I was driving on my way home in the dark. The 4.10 gears and 31" tires make the rpm a little high at highway speeds. Cruises really good at 50 mph, but around here you need to do at least 60, I pushed it to 60 but I wouldn't want to do that for long. One strange issue I found was I put the high beams on and after about 2 minutes the head lights went out completely! Pushed the high beam switch and a bout 2 seconds later the head lights cam back on? Didn't mess with it anymore since it is really dark out here and didn't want to find a ditch!

Funny, I never tried the high beams. I drove it about an hour on the highway twice when I first registered it to go to the Baltimore MVA. Held between 55-60 the entire time. Does rev a little. I just didn't want a taller tire to avoid rollover chances.
I ran out of gas twice at 1/4 tank, despite getting new CHinese sender unit and calibrating it a few years ago. It was dead on empty for a while, then boom. No start. Bowl empty at 1/4.
Remember, the Roadrunner horn is the washer button!

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Pete yeah it will do 55-60 but just seems to rev a little high. But on the back roads around my house it will be fine. I will pick away at the electrical gremlins as I go along. I am going to convert it to power steering for sure, at that point I will try to fix the horn and the blinker harness issue. I hope to get the parts to do that swap in the next few weeks and convert it over some time the end of May. At least it is at my house now and I can drive it more, and with the nice weather I bet I will drive it a bunch this weekend.

OP
OP
ep67bro

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
So the last month I have been driving the bronco when I can. It runs great and I even had a hard stop because of a deer!!! and It did good.
Went to Carisle and picked up parts for my power steering swap from delconick.
Got the last few parts for the swap along with a few other things in today from JBG and Amazon. Attached pic is from two weeks ago getting ready for an evening cruise with the top down. Think I will bring it to work this week and swap it in the shop with my 67 so I can work on the following list.

Install power steering
install wiper fluid bottle, pump, hoses and rewire.
install factory rear bumper
get gauge cluster lights to work
fixe electrical gremlin that makes the blinkers not work sometimes.

Attachments

• 20180502_181913.jpg
    20180502_181913.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20180502_181926.jpg
    20180502_181926.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 53

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Looking good brother man...

So the last month I have been driving the bronco when I can. It runs great and I even had a hard stop because of a deer!!! and It did good.
Went to Carisle and picked up parts for my power steering swap from delconick.
Got the last few parts for the swap along with a few other things in today from JBG and Amazon. Attached pic is from two weeks ago getting ready for an evening cruise with the top down. Think I will bring it to work this week and swap it in the shop with my 67 so I can work on the following list.

Install power steering
install wiper fluid bottle, pump, hoses and rewire.
install factory rear bumper
get gauge cluster lights to work
fixe electrical gremlin that makes the blinkers not work sometimes.