• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF + 205 question

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I posed this question on my build thread in the chat forum yesterday but got no response so I figured I'd ask here instead. Also I don't know if I'm using the thread search properly because everytime I try it always returns with nothing found. :cry:

Duder mentioned that mating a ZF and NP205 was a pretty easy process and only required a simple modification. I haven't seen a post from him in a while so I'm hoping someone else can come to the rescue here. What mod needs to be made? And where can I get the parts?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
No parts needed. it's a bolt up. You will need to notch the extension housing to allow room for the 205 shift rods. That is all. You done yet?

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I just did this, bolted a 205 to a zf. It is the second time I have done this and like mentioned it the 205 bolts right up. You will clearly see where you need to make the clearence need for the 205 to mount completely to the back of the zf.

I already have the set uo sitting in th EB but i can try to get a close up pic if you need one.

Attachments

• motor and transmission and tcase bronco june 27 2010.jpg
    motor and transmission and tcase bronco june 27 2010.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 304

stokers

Loc.
Lexington, KY
I am also doing this install and have just received the tranny cross mber from JBG. What modifications were necessary for the front amd rear driveshafts and do the driveshaft yokes need to be changed?

Thanks

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I'm far from drive shafts and I don't have any drive shafts to even try. I bought my EB with no drive train. I will be making my own cross member as well.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
No parts needed. it's a bolt up. You will need to notch the extension housing to allow room for the 205 shift rods. That is all. You done yet?

Lol, no I'm getting the tranny tomorrow and I still gotta find a worthy 205.

Thanks for the info guys, seems like an easy mod.

Action

NorCal

A guy on NorCal is going through that now and has some pretty good pics.
Jack

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
The 205 has to be a married TC correct? Does it matter if it's off an auto tranny?

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Here's what the ZF flange looks like before the cut:

scan0031.jpg

Here's the flange afterward:

scan0033.jpg

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Does anyone make a twin stick for the 205 or am I gonna have to make my own. More importantly can a 205 be twin sticked?

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
JB fab makes a good one

Found it thanks...

Ya know what drives me crazy, seems like everyone only makes chrome or stainless parts!!! Guess I'll be rattle canning the twin sticks too!

CHROME SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Does anyone make a twin stick for the 205 or am I gonna have to make my own. More importantly can a 205 be twin sticked?

Yes they can be twin sticked, but the shift rails need to be modified if you want true independent actuation ie: Front only engagement for front digs.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Email us, we will be happy to send you the information on how to mod. the shift-rail.

Here is a picture that someone sent us of the ZF-5 / NP-205 combo with our sticks......

Attachments

• P1040003.jpg
    P1040003.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 177
  • P1040004.jpg
    P1040004.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 164

bax

Contributor
Old Member
what truck, SUV came with a 205?
I have a 91 AOD, will is bolt up?
what length will the rear shaft be?

Late 70's trucks. yes the AOD will bolt to the 205. rear shaft, no clue. it will be shorter than stock but lift and other things come into the picture figuring this out.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
Cool, thanks, do you think I need the AOD from a 4x4 or at least the output shaft??

As for rear driveshaft length, I have a 3" lift, I think the AOD extra length will not kill my swap.