• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

77 1 ton TRE steering?

77bronocman

I'm getting ready to do the Chevy 1 ton TRE setup on my 77 and get rid of the inverted Y. I've ordered the reamer, DOM and going to NAPA to buy the joints tomorrow. Now I'm worried about the clearance issues associated with 77 steering knuckles. Anyone done this that can give me some advice? Do I need wheel spacers and if so how much? Should I go ahead and do the tie-rod over swap? Any help is appreciated. I've been looking at this tech article along with some other posts and bronco sites:

http://www.deepsoutheb.com/tech/CTRconv.html

Action

Lift

How much lift? I think you need at least 3 1/2"
Jack

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What size wheels, diameter x width & backspacing? Madgyver did it on his yellow '77, but he also ran higher backspacing 17" wheels and 1.5" wheel adapters IIRC.

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
I have the one ton tie-rod over conversion. I run 17X9 wheel with 5.71” backspacing. My axles are full widths from an F-150 not stock so there may be some difference between them and yours.