• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Missing Part Name on Dana 20 Question

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So i have my 4R70 back, but i dont have the gear cluster that slides in the dana 20, assuming that is a dana 20 part. if so, what is it called. parts diagram calls it rear output sliding gear and main gear. i need to know what to ask for in the wanted classifieds. thanks for the help.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is it the gear that goes on the spud shaft, where the adapter attaches to the d20? I'd call that the input or main drive gear.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yes i think that is what it is, is that a dana part. out of the two dana's i have i dont have that part. it meshes up with the idler shaft gear

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Those are easily lost because they attach to the spud shaft which is in the old adapter.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thanks Phil, so one should pop up pretty easy in the parts wanted section?

Hickboy727

While you are talking Dana 20s. I just completed a full master rebuild on my 68. The only issue i have is that the idler gear seamed way too tight of a fit going in with the bronze thrust washers. Will this loosen up with the break in? I dont see any tolerances listed anywhere. I can barely turn the assembly in 4 wheel low by hand.

Anyone seen this?

Z

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
While you are talking Dana 20s. I just completed a full master rebuild on my 68. The only issue i have is that the idler gear seamed way too tight of a fit going in with the bronze thrust washers. Will this loosen up with the break in? I dont see any tolerances listed anywhere. I can barely turn the assembly in 4 wheel low by hand.

Anyone seen this?

Z

It should slide in under it's own weight....
If it is tight, you might not have the tabs on the the thrust bushings in their indexing slots. the idler gear should turn freely.

FYI don't use regular gearlube in a D20, the pressure additives (sulfur mostly) it will attack the yellow metal of the thrust bushing. This is what I use. 50wt synth

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/luc-10146-1/overview/

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Are the rebuild kids still using yellow metal or is that just the old stock stuff?