• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to make an inline coolant filter for under $10 bucks!

1969 Bronco

Loc.
west TX

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> another way to go is the Australian made Tefba inline filter setup, though the price of admission is more than 10 bucks.... different sizes available up to 2".... unfortunately the price has more than doubled from the original $30 range.... though I did hear it now comes with a magnet along with a fine & coarse filter screen.... think mine is the coarse screen... it caught lots stuff in the beginning from a brand new block(not rebuilt) & new radiator(lots of aluminum shavings caught)..... the V shape filter is hard to clog & you don't lose any coolant while cleaning......

Attachments

• 100_0410.jpg
    100_0410.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 145
  • TEFBA-FILTER-PLANsm.jpg
    TEFBA-FILTER-PLANsm.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 000_0030.JPG
    000_0030.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 125

mattt

Bronco Guru
>>> another way to go is the Australian made Tefba inline filter setup, though the price of admission is more than 10 bucks.... different sizes available up to 2".... unfortunately the price has more than doubled from the original $30 range.... though I did hear it now comes with a magnet along with a fine & coarse filter screen.... think mine is the coarse screen... it caught lots stuff in the beginning from a brand new block(not rebuilt) & new radiator(lots of aluminum shavings caught)..... the V shape filter is hard to clog & you don't lose any coolant while cleaning......

The Tefba is a sweet filter. I'd like to have one, but at the current price last time I looked, around $85, it's not that sweet. I've searched for a used one or some other alternative, such as any factory application that I could find in a pick your part, but I've come up empty handed. Maybe some day I'll stumble onto one.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Bump bump bump to the top!

Last night I turned on the heater for the first time in about 2 years and it was luke-warm at best. I think it's about time for me to clean the filter.
:cool:

bradform

Great idea! I just placed the order on Amazon for about $15 total. While searching for the parts, I came across an inline pressure washer filter for about $20 the has an inspection window. Anyone used one of these and if not, what are your thoughts on it?

Inline Pressure Washer Filter

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Appears the Tefba filter is no longer available. At least I couldn't find it on line.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

Once again spring, then summer are almost here and the overheating season is almost here too.

I thought I'd bump this thread back to the top. I just cleaned out my inline coolant filter last weekend and it wasn't terrible but it was blocked up.

Anyway, I hope this idea gets some good use once again.

Happy Trails!

bamabaja

Contributor
Loc.
The Shoals
Thanks. Nice mod. That AU filter bracket looks a lot like older marine engine fuel filter brackets, many have ball valves to switch while running. Some local old boat parts places I might check out. But ur version seems best.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Here’s a mid-summer bump to the top for anyone who’s old car is over heating.
Enjoy!

Skinnyr1

A typical spin on filter and base would be more beneficial than this small mesh. I have a coolant filter head and a napa 4070 on another truck I own, and it pulls out all the crap. It is plumbed in line and can be bypassed, but the theory is that eventually, all coolant will run through it.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FYI, 50 years of wrenching, if you keep the fluid changed, you don't have a rust issue, I have never heard of a filter helping, just my opinion.