• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any helpful comments on towing my Bronco?

kaw700zn

Loc.
Chandler
I'll be towing my Bronco in couple weeks from Phoenix to Flagstaff. For those who don't know, it is a 2 hours ride on the highway. The grade is pretty steep but nothing dangerous.

The Bronco will be towed on U-Haul trailer with all 4 tires on the trailer. My 2016 Toyota Land Cruiser will be towing it (rated at 8000 pounds). I have 33's on the Bronco, with 2.5 lift. Otherwise regular setup.

Any helpful hints on strapping, towing hints etc? I will be towing it for the first time. I have same experience with towing jet skies but nothing of Bronco size.

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
I've used a uhaul auto transport several times. I have 35's on my rig, so the straps they have on the trailer that are supposed to go around the front times do not work. I doubt they will on 33's either. What I do is just use axle straps I bought from Summit Racing and four heavy duty 3 inch ratchet straps, one on each corner around the axle. Also, in order to get proper angles for the straps, I kept the rig about a foot back from the front of the trailer. This also helped to rebalance the weight on the trailer and reduce the tongue weight. I don't have a pic showing the straps, but here's a pic of it sitting on the trailer. You can see the front tires a about a foot behind the front stops.

Attachments

• IMG_5668.jpg
    IMG_5668.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 65

Ches7911

Loc.
OKlahoma
I hauled my '75 with 33" & 2.5" lift using a u-haul auto transport last weekend (about 3 hour journey). Everything went smooth. I used straps similar to redwards69, but I also took an extra set of 3" straps, and hooked on side of the hook in the tire straps, then ran the loose end into the u-haul factor mounted ratchet side.

I did learn a few lessons a couple of years back (left the hood unlatched once, caught wind and folded it back...second time I had the windshield unbolted, the rope I had tying it came loose and it fell over at a stop sign). Also, I tried hauling with a strapped down cover over my bronco - tore it to shreds. If your's is solid and not a "work in progress" like mine was, you probably won't have to deal with these lessons. Best of luck.

**oh and bring some electrical tape with you - the rubber hook stops on the u-haul chains are usually over stretched, or brittle to the point of breaking any moment. The tape around the hooks will help you keep the chains secure**

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
I leave the t case and trans in N it is easier in the u joints and gears from the rocking back and forth even just a small amount

Nothing Special

I like tying to the axles. That seems more secure than to the tires, and it lets the vehicle bounce on it's own suspension without loosening and then slamming into the tie downs.

Make sure you have enough tongue weight, about 10% of the total trailer weight. If you don't have enough tongue weight you can get into a situation where the trailer sways, and you don't want that! If 10% tongue weight is too much for your tow rig then you need to get a weight distributing hitch (which can be problematic with a rental trailer). Or just make sure the back of the truck is empty so it can handle the tongue weight.

The U-Haul trailer will have surge brakes. I'm not a big fan of them because they usually seem to push the truck a lot harder than electric brakes. But they do work. Just keep speeds a little lower, following distance a little higher, and drive very defensively, especially going down steep hills.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I like tying to the axles as well. Bought axle straps from local farm supply place. works pretty good so far. Might be a good idea to check straps for tightness after a half hour or so down the road. maybe check axle hubs on trailer for excessive temps too? (I just bought an infrared thermometer and looking for uses...) :)

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Make sure you have enough tongue weight, about 10% of the total trailer weight. If you don't have enough tongue weight you can get into a situation where the trailer sways, and you don't want that! If 10% tongue weight is too much for your tow rig then you need to get a weight distributing hitch (which can be problematic with a rental trailer). Or just make sure the back of the truck is empty so it can handle the tongue weight.

I was concerned with this when I left the rig further back on the trailer. I was towing with a Tahoe, and for me, this made the tongue weight and trailer balance perfect. It pulled great.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I like tying to the axles as well. Bought axle straps from local farm supply place. works pretty good so far.

Same, axle straps on all 4 corners.

I run front criss/cross, back straps, straight out. Tighten her down good

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Same, axle straps on all 4 corners.

I run front criss/cross, back straps, straight out. Tighten her down good

Educate me, what is the reason for crossing straps? I've seen them both ways and always wondered what the better practice was?

Thanks, Don.

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've hauled mine different ways and have come to the conclusion the the best way for me to strap down is to the axles or tires. I used to go from the axle to the trailer with about 2' between the tires and trailer tie-down point. This is probably best for a u-haul trailer with the wheel wells but the trailer has to be long enough.

I purchased a set (4) of 2" Double Ratchet Adjustable Tire Bonnet - Diamond Weave from Autohauler Supply and couldn't be happier. It is really fast to strap down. Link. I had them add 12" to each end for my tire size. I also got 4 protective sleeves (48" long each--I run 35" tires) for tire contact to protect the strap that goes around the tire. I couldn't be happier with these straps but the trailer wheel wells get in the way on our EB's. A deck-over trailer without wheel wells works better.

Nothing Special

Educate me, what is the reason for crossing straps? I've seen them both ways and always wondered what the better practice was?

Thanks, Don.

You want the straps to keep the vehicle from moving anywhere and all any one strap does is keep the vehicle from moving straight away from that strap. So two straps running straight forward both only keep the vehicle from moving backward.

With crossed straps in the front, one keeps it from moving back and to the left, the other keeps it from moving back and to the right.

The same thing is a good idea in the rear as well, except that people are more worried about the vehicle coming forward in an accident, so they like doubling up on straps preventing that.

And running the straps straight forward and back isn't as bad as I just made it seem. The straps also pull down, so the tires are loaded against the trailer deck, making it hard for them to slide sideways. So even strapped straight it really can't move sideways very easily.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My local u-haul wouldn't rent me the trailer when I told them the tire size on the Bronco. Had to go to a different rental. Now I keep my mouth shut and just say stock tires. The U-haul over tire straps wont work you will have to use alternative methods so be prepared. After a couple of rental issues with renting from U-Haul I now own and use use a tow dolly with electric brakes. Much easier than dealing with those clowns.

valveamp

I've had similar experience with rental companies. They don't like anything modified. Similar thing with AAA tow trucks. Several months ago, my rear driveshaft broke near my house. At the same time, I had a problem with one of the front hubs locking, so I couldn't use front wheel drive either. I had to call AAA and have it towed. When the driver got there, he said they weren't supposed to tow modified vehicles, but he really didn't care, so he towed it home for me. I have 33" tires and about a 3" lift. A different driver may have refused to tow it.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I've had similar experience with rental companies. They don't like anything modified. Similar thing with AAA tow trucks. Several months ago, my rear driveshaft broke near my house. At the same time, I had a problem with one of the front hubs locking, so I couldn't use front wheel drive either. I had to call AAA and have it towed. When the driver got there, he said they weren't supposed to tow modified vehicles, but he really didn't care, so he towed it home for me. I have 33" tires and about a 3" lift. A different driver may have refused to tow it.

Just tell them you are a good tipper and your Bronco will practically jump on to the back of the tow truck given how quickly they will hook it up. %)

crankman

I've used a uhaul auto transport several times. I have 35's on my rig, so the straps they have on the trailer that are supposed to go around the front times do not work. I doubt they will on 33's either. What I do is just use axle straps I bought from Summit Racing and four heavy duty 3 inch ratchet straps, one on each corner around the axle. Also, in order to get proper angles for the straps, I kept the rig about a foot back from the front of the trailer. This also helped to rebalance the weight on the trailer and reduce the tongue weight. I don't have a pic showing the straps, but here's a pic of it sitting on the trailer. You can see the front tires a about a foot behind the front stops.
Nice setup there we used to pull ours around with Tahoe did great to.