• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

power steering pump cooler for original 77 pump

chuck1022

Contributor
I was just going to mount this on the front of my radiator, your standard finned cooler. then I saw this other kind, cartridge looking, anybody have preferences? My gut tells me to go with the old school looking one, but who knows

Attachments

• pscooler2.jpg
    pscooler2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 21
  • pscooler.jpg
    pscooler.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 21

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've had little luck mounting any cooler in front of the radiator. On the other hand the OE '77 cooler bolted to the head, has worked well for 40 yrs.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I've had little luck mounting any cooler in front of the radiator. On the other hand the OE '77 cooler bolted to the head, has worked well for 40 yrs.

I've got a stock '77 but it doesn't have a cooler. Was that a factory option or dealer added?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I've got a stock '77 but it doesn't have a cooler. Was that a factory option or dealer added?

Factory. They aren't that hard to find. I have picked up a couple of used ones in good condition for about $20. I agree they work better than any of the aftermarket stuff will.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Factory. They aren't that hard to find. I have picked up a couple of used ones in good condition for about $20. I agree they work better than any of the aftermarket stuff will.

I may add one. I have seen them on other years but just never on a '77. Probably just not paying attention......

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting they if it turns out they were not on '77's. I thought my buddy's had one, but that's been so long and with so many mods now, that I've forgotten.
It is a nice little design though. I always wanted to mount one, but my first trek into power steering land ended up being an Explorer setup.
In fact, all the Explorer setups I've worked on for friends and with one more of my own coming, we've always ended up with the flat rectangular style in the first pic mounted between the grille and core support.

Not as retro-cool maybe, but they definitely seem to work. Too bad I have not had a chance to compare fluid temps back-to-back.
We should put that out there to the next one doing an uncooled-to-cooled setup to take before and after temps.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and nice result of your inquiry too Chuck! Pretty fast turnaround from question to a part on the way.

Paul

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Interesting they if it turns out they were not on '77's.

I'm curious. I have had 3 very original '77's with PS and none of them had a cooler. I have looked under the hood of many stock '77's and I have never seen one. I have just always thought that 77s did not have them.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Since you were actually focused on that fact, and with your three direct experiences, I'd say you're right with them not being on '77's.
I wonder if it was that year only. I'll see if I can find underhood pics of "Gramps" (the WH shop CA-spec'ed '76) to see if it had one.

Paul

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Since you were actually focused on that fact, and with your three direct experiences, I'd say you're right with them not being on '77's.
I wonder if it was that year only. I'll see if I can find underhood pics of "Gramps" (the WH shop CA-spec'ed '76) to see if it had one.

Paul

I had a 76 Ranger and don't remember it having one for sure, but my 74 did. I assumed it was a 73-75 thing and went away when the steering ratio changed.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was wondering about that changeover as well.
Having trouble locating pics of the '76 right now, but I'm pretty sure I'll have pics of that area. And it was pretty original when bought by WH, so if it's not there I'd say you're on to something consistent.

Paul

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
My 77 has it. I believe another 77 I had also had it. Seems like they would be a standard item with the power steering option.

Interesting. So obviously it was available in '77. Don't know if it was an option, part of a package, or they stopped at a certain production date. I found pictures on the internet of lots of 76's and earlier with it but still no stock '77's.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
One of my 77s had them (the one that was more stock (green))
the other did not (but that guy had changed some other parts out already)

71Broncitis

I've had multiple 76s and 77s, most with the cooler, some without.

Leads me to believe it could have been a factory option. A comparison of some Marti reports for anyone who has them on their 76-77s might shed some light.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk