• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulling left under hard braking - FIXED!

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Noticed after installing new (reman) calipers. Feels fine under normal braking, system is bled properly.
I'm thinking my RIGHT caliper is defective. Thoughts?
Scott

EDIT: Meant to also say I know its my front brakes as the steering wheel jerks left at the same time.

Last edited:

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You may have a bad flex line going to the right caliper. Under hard pressure it may be ballooning.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Collapsed brake line or other worn parts in suspension/steering. New soft brake lines? Then other component involving steering or suspension like drag link tie rod or bushings for radius arms. Heck, could even be rear spring bushings, I've had one go bad and it was "interesting" under hard braking.

OP
OP
gr8scott

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks slowleak, I recently installed WH stainless braided lines...

Attachments

• 20170613_115122.jpg
    20170613_115122.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 49

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Well, it's probably not the hoses. I know you bled them but you could have some air trapped in the right line or caliper. The right side is the furthest away from the MC and usually the side to have a problem with air.

I replaced my front hoses last year and must have run a quart thru the lines. I eventually stuck hoses on the bleeders and just let the fluid siphon into a jar.

OP
OP
gr8scott

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks everyone, I'll bleed it more and see how it does. I'll also check the knuckle clearance while I'm down there as suggested by Jim at WH.

tbratz

When I had the same issue it ended up being a defective caliper.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I remember 20+ years ago thinking I had ground the knuckles enough for caliper clearance.
There wasn't CB back then...hell I don't think Al had invented the internet yet, lol...
Any way...I replaced a lot of shit trying to figure this out. I still have the new but very dusty brake lines on the shelf, haha... But after having tried everything I ground the knuckles some more...I didn't know what else to do.
Well it worked. I guess I didn't realize how much the caliper moved and how much the back plate flexed. It is apparently a lot.....I remember worrying about how much I grinded the knuckles. But again, no CB back then. This prolly isn't your issue, your symptoms just took me down memory lane...

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Do you have the Chevy conversion? I had to grind for clearance like most guys have to for clearance. Then as my pads started to wear I had pulling to one side. As the pads thinned the body of the caliper was making contact with the axle causing one side to work differently. I ended up grinding it down and no problems. Cost $0! It may look like enough clearance static but have someone push the brakes really hard while you check for clearance.

Drove me nuts thinking it was lines, hoses, air, bad tires etc.

OP
OP
gr8scott

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yup, Chevy conversion. No problems 12+ years until new calipers went in. Also installed new brake pads.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
New calipers are new castings and may need more clearance or clearance in a different place. Chinese do not spend a lot of time making it physically exact if it bolts on.

Just a suggestion.

OP
OP
gr8scott

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
New calipers are new castings and may need more clearance or clearance in a different place. Chinese do not spend a lot of time making it physically exact if it bolts on.
Just a suggestion.

Hey pcf_mark, they're not new castings, they're re-manufactured 1975 Chevy K5 Blazer calipers. Anyways, here's a pic showing the clearance.

Probably could use more , but honestly I don't think its my problem. Keep in mind its got brand new brake pads,
so its moving very little, if any at all. Driver's side is the same. What do you think?

Attachments

• Caliper2.jpg
    Caliper2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 59

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I have a Dana 30 and had to almost wipe out the stop boss. Easy check is to pull the pads out re-install the calipers then slide the calipers back and forth on the pins. If they bind or get close to something grind it. When the tire grabs the road and the weight of the truck is trying to bend the caliper bracket is may get closer / contact.

May not be your issue but I have never seen a collapsed hose or clogged brake line. Bent or impact damaged steel line yes. Leaky hose yes.

OP
OP
gr8scott

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well shoot, I thought I had bled her properly. Just got through re-bleeding and now she screeches to a stop in a nice straight line!
Thanks everyone for your help.

p.s. Locking up mud tires on dry pavement makes quite the impressive sound!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...p.s. Locking up mud tires on dry pavement makes quite the impressive sound!

Yes it does!
Like smell, some memories are ingrained forever. I can still clearly see and hear the three '72 Broncos spinning off on three different tangents on White Rock Road outside of Sacramento. Careening around on their complaining mud tires being asked to brake and steer when the Broncos really didn't want to. All three with their Armstrong Trutracs smoking and squealing/woofing/howling as if their lives depended on it.
Brings a smile to my face every time I think of it.

It was a late Friday afternoon, beginning of 4th of July weekend, 1976. On our way to the Rubicon for the weekend, we were bypassing around Sacramento traffic on what were at that time back roads (Grant Line to White Rock to Folsom?) and missed our little exit going about 45 mph or so. Tail end Charley (my buddy Tim & me) shouted out on the CB that we'd just missed the turn!
Result? Three sideways EB's belting out that wild mud tire howl, followed by five guys laughing their asses off!

Good times (because nobody rolled or tested their recovery skills that night).
Where was GoPro when we needed them?;D

Paul