• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ZF 5 Identification

75Bronc

I found a 1988 F250 4x4 for $600. It was a 351 with a 5 speed manual. Truck had. I engine now. The guy wasn't much help on telling me if it had a granny gear or verifying it was the ZF. I am going to make the drive Saturday to pick up the truck. How can I verify it is the ZF and not the M5OD?

Thanks Guys!

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
There is a tech article on trans ID. The truck i bought was a 88f2504x4 as well..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

How do you like the trans? I will be pounding it off-road, what kind of driving do you do?

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
A ZF will have a XXX pattern on the case
. Mess. me your number if you want a text pic

OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

I know the zf 5s-47 has ribs, but does the 5s-42 have ribs as well? Thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
On the side of the ZF there will be a data plate. It will say ZF right on it. That being an early one should have the diagonal crosshatch ribs, the later ones got straighter ribs.

If you can't find the ZF data plate, don't expect it to be a ZF.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Did they put the M5OD in the 250's?

A few, light duty ones.

Here are a couple of pics that may help, ZF5 is the bigger one, M5OD is the smaller one:

Attachments

• wmdcp_3154.jpg
    wmdcp_3154.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 58
  • wmdcp_3157.jpg
    wmdcp_3157.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 54

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And make sure it is from a 351. The ones from other engines (460, diesel, modular motors) won't work.
Also be sure it has the proper tailhousing for a transfer case.

toddsrods

How do you like the trans? I will be pounding it off-road, what kind of driving do you do?

I have a ZF in mine. drive to work, to grandmas house, through the Rubicon, hunting, camping. . . .. I love it. Trying to get my oldman to swap one in too as the NP435 shifts like an old dump truck transmission.

OP
OP
75Bronc

75Bronc

Tod, what gears are you running? Do you like the ratio?

Also, is $600 a good price on a ZF?

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
600 isn't to bad for a ZF but you have a bonus getting the whole truck. You get the shifter, master cylinder and any other pieces that are usable. They are getting harder to find. You could part out the rest and still get a couple hundred when you scrap it. You might end up not having to much money in it when all said and done. Ken

Killer Frogs

Loc.
Amarillo, TX
I am putting a ZF5 in my son's 89 Bronco. We found his at a junk yard in Iowa. I found it on car-parts.com. We paid $525 including shipping. We are going to have to head to the local junk yard for pedals, cross member, master cylinder, etc. We looked at buying a whole truck and having the parts to pull from was a nice idea, but not having to mess with getting rid of a truck without a trans was nice too.

If you search on car-part.com double check. There were some that we were matched with that did not work. The junk yard sent me pix and the VIN before I made the purchase.

Good Luck!

kens bronco

Loc.
Virginia Beach Va.
The zf was in f250's with a 300 six or the 351. My zf is a 42 it doesn't have all the ribs on the bell housing. Here's a couple pics of mine and the label plate location. It's a great trans. It's the best of both worlds wheeling and cruising the highway.
Kenny
img_2274.jpg

zf5-finished.jpg