• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost Question

Laxdad32

Contributor
Loc.
Fort Morgan, CO
I have been trying to piece together a hydroboost setup, and have not been able to locate a HB unit in any of my local junkyards. I happened to come across a HB from a 2002 duramax diesel, that I can get for free, and was wondering if that unit can be made to work in the bronco? I searched through a bunch of threads, but didn't really see if that unit had been used by anybody, so just wondering if it might work.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
They all work the same way. Hydraulic in and out with a return. No difference in the workings or plumbing. Find/make all the correct parts to adapt the bolt pattern at the fire wall, the hoses, the push rod to the brake pedal, and the master cylinder and it will work the same as any other hydrobooster.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All of the modern Bosch hydroboost units function similarly, however the power-piston diameter does vary depending on the application from which is was sourced. That said, I only know that from talking with the guys at Hydratech about it one time...pretty sure he said there were about 3 common sizes found on most applications.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Also, remember that m/c have different length stroke needs also...check into that too.

Dang AstroVan hydro-boost and m/c work extremely well together... hard to go wrong with it...

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The main ones I would say to avoid are those with an internal reserve, they have less capacity so if your power steering pump isn't supplying pressure they will stop you fewer times.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would say avoid the ones from the 70s and 80's. Stuff from the 90's and newer is best.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The main ones I would say to avoid are those with an internal reserve, they have less capacity so if your power steering pump isn't supplying pressure they will stop you fewer times.

That's a good point and what I alluded to by saying "modern" Bosch design above...the internal accumulator units not only have less reserve capacity, but there were several other improvements made at the same time that make the newer units the easy choice.