• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

'67 Radiator Overflow Bottle location

MLGross

Contributor
I was wondering if anyone could send me photo's showing where to mount, in the stock position on the passenger inner wheel well, a radiator overflow bottle for a '67 bronco. Mark

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, since the '67 didn't have one, you can mostly put it where you want as far as "originality" is concerned.
But if you're mounting a '73 and later factory Bronco style, there were at least two positions that I know of.
The earlies were angled and a little bit farther back than half-way if I remember. The later ones were straight I guess for better clearance at the intake snorkel area? Not sure.
But either way there won't be factory holes, as you no doubt have already found out.

Sorry I don't have pictures and dimensions, but I'm sure someone will.

Paul

OP
OP
M

MLGross

Contributor
Thanks for the response. I did not know that it didn't have one. I have a 289 with a surge tank on the radiator and it has a nipple for a overflow bottle. Is this not correct?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Nope. Back then the lowly "utility vehicles" that these were did not get all the same stuff the cool kids had. Our radiators simply drained out on to the ground. Which meant that if you were driving it daily you had to top off the radiator at least once a month or so.
And it let all the junk just fall on to the street, which is what ultimately led to all vehicles having the full recovery system.

Even most cars didn't have them in the early sixties when these were designed. But they were starting to by that time.
Interesting question though. I can't remember ever following the drain line from a surge-tank equipped Bronco. I don't know where it would have gone.
But there are several here who have not only done restorations, but some who've owned their early earlies since new. They should know.

Hopefully they chime in with some good pics of where to route the tubing. In the meantime though, you can choose a clean route that doesn't spray all over the engine.
Or better yet do continue to put the recovery bottle in there so you're gettin' with the modern world like many of us are trying to do with our old rigs.

Paul

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
my 67 fill tank was rotted and a replacement is a lot of $$$ so I ended up using a moroso surge tank for a late model mustang fitted to the driver side inner fender and plumbed it by adding a 1/4 in nipple to the radiator tank and using he heater suction side for the return and a plus is it is always burping the cooling system of any air in it...;)

OP
OP
M

MLGross

Contributor
Thanks for the interesting solution to my problem. Mark.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I just solved this problem on my 68. I blew the cap fitting on my surge tank on its inaugural run. Instead of scraping the whole system I found two rubber drain plugs that expanded via washer and bolt system and plugged both ends. I then ran a piece of tubing down where the cap is so it reached the bottom of the tank and ran the over flow line on the main radiator cap to this. I bypassed the tank with a longer flexible radiator hose. I basically turned my old surge tank into an overflow tank. I wish I could get the longer radiator hose more tucked away but overall, it works and doesn't look terrible.

IMG_7729.jpg

KeithKinPhx

My 68 was an early Nov build and has the 67 surge tank. My overflow bottle is mounted on the front driver side of the radiator core support. It is just opposite the windshield washer reservoir on the front driver wheel well. Just assumed that was stock for everyone too.