• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a new 302

OP
OP
P

philliphyunphcs

This board is great! I've learned a lot already. I've been lurking for a few weeks. I live just outside of Portland OR. I wasnt planning on doing any off roading. Just a fun stunner around town and mountain roads in the area for hiking and camping.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

kmill23

I would also recommend going w/ a blueprint. They're fully warranted. I just put their 306 into my 71.

Oh, man, I've been eyeing their 306. What are your impressions so far? What did you have in before?

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
Welcome. You should be able with the help from people on here make the right choice. Good Luck!

OP
OP
P

philliphyunphcs

So this is what I'm going with.
912dd7d60d5f660af39646583770fc81.jpg

Ranchtruck

Ok, couple of things first. If your distributor gear stripped, you will have no oil pressure when cranking because the oil pump is driven by the distributor shaft. So by fixing the distributor gear, you will get oil pressure back. I wouldn't condemn a whole engine just off a distributor gear failure. The ignition timing would have gone way off as the gear stripped, so the engine would have stopped running before the oil pressure dropped so the bearings are likely OK. Worse case you're looking at replacing cam & lifters, distributor gear, and swabbing out the metal shavings from the oil pan and pickup.

What metal was the distributor gear made out of? Does the engine have a roller cam in it? What history of mods does the existing engine have?

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
That HP79 is a 50oz balanced engine. Your old balancer and flywheel/flexplate will not work.

Roller cam so you will need the correct distributor too

Tim

OP
OP
P

philliphyunphcs

Hey all, well the engine was replaced and while they were doing that I had the distributor, clutch kit and a bunch of hoses and belts replaced. Its running strong now and starts up like a champ. I'm really happy with it!! Next project is the steering. It has a lot of play.

AK-47

Loc.
Long Island
Oh, man, I've been eyeing their 306. What are your impressions so far? What did you have in before?

I had an a 302 in it before. Supposedly it was a "performance motor" that the crook that built my rig for me put in. Total garbage, total hack job by JFB Restorations in Joliet, IL. It blew out after 300 miles b/c the numbnuts didn't account for airflow after installing aftermarket A/C. Flat-tapped piece of garbage. Total scum bags. Avoid at all costs. First sign of trouble they disappeared.

I digress, so far I love the BP 306! it really wants to run all out. Right now I have 35's and 3.55 gearing which isn't right for this rig. I'm gonna lower my lift 4.5 ->3.5 and drop back to 33's. The thing runs like a top, super cool temps and I LOVE the fact that i have a number to call with any questions and a REAL warranty. Don't underestimate the value of a real warranty vs a mom and pop joint. Just my two cents.