• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hellwig or W.H. wrap trap on my bronco’s 9''

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
Just need some input on which will be more beneficial on my bronco’s rear end, the W.H. wrap trap or the Hellwig rear anti-sway bar. I do have the front Hellwig installed on the front end.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 207-7869.jpg
    207-7869.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 61

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on what you're trying to do, since they both serve completely different functions.
If deciding because only one will work (from an interference standpoint) and you need some anti-wrap properties added to your rig, then because you've already got the front anti-sway bar installed, and it does a little more work than the rear, then you can choose the Wrap Trap with a clear conscience.
Mostly...;D

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So what characteristic is going to be the most important to your driving happiness?

Paul

OP
OP
bronco loco

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I did not think about interference. I happen to have both, the rear Hellwig and the W.H. Wrap trap. My bronco is a street vehicle and I need to be as stable as possible. Since the front Hellwig was installed, the front is much more stable.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They can both still be helpful.
The second anti-sway bar can fine-tune your over-steer/under-steer characteristics, and axle/spring wrap reduction is still a good thing.

All Broncos have axle-wrap to a point, and it's even more with most of the modern springs. But it's rarely such an issue that you have a problem with it. Yes, it'll make the rear more stable and linear, especially under acceleration and braking transitions.
So yeah, it's "a thing" but it's not the be-all and end-all of things.

If they both fit with each other (and I think a couple of members here have done both) then I would do both.
If I had to choose, it might come down to your engine power, transmission type, differential gear ratio, tire diameter, and the weight of your right foot.

So, what's your combo? Sounds like a 4R70 trans? Full EFI as well? Maybe 33" or smaller tires? What gear ratios?
And how do you like to drive?

Paul

OP
OP
bronco loco

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I have the 98 Explorer carburated engine with a 570 street avenger, 4r70w, 4:10 front and rear with 30-inch tires. Will go to 31 because of the 1 inch WH body lift.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is this the lifted uncut '72 in your sig? Or have you lowered it back down?
Just wondering because with that much lift even a narrow 33 would be a good tire size. Would look good, but likely create more axle-wrap.

With the 4.11's and 31's, even with the newer style springs axle wrap is not going to be a big problem. It's still there, and you an still benefit from the Wrap Trap, but not as much as some. Unless you like racing from stoplight to stoplight, or just have fun with putting your foot into it now and then.

Paul

OP
OP
bronco loco

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
Yes is the lifted uncut in my signature, just a 1 inch body lift was added. 2.5 WH coils in the front with 3.5 11 pack leaves on the rear with the lowest leave removed, 6 degree shim. thanks for all your help.

Mike Bernard

I have both the Hellwig and the WH wrap trap on mine and there is no interference issues at least on mine. Mine has 1 inch body lift, WH 2.5 suspension, 4.11 and 32 inch tires. It drive nice with both on it. It still has some axle wrap when i get on it hard, but has a built 351w with lots of torque.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
My bronco is a street vehicle and I need to be as stable as possible.[/QUOTE]

You could always go back to some old rancho springs and some 5000 shocks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well that would do it!%)
But might leave the whole family wanting a new crew-cab!;)

Paul