• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

front shock mount lenghth

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
looks like my front top shock mounts have been altered. was wondering if anyone knows how tall the stock top shock mounts are? going to order new shocks anyway, I can measure to try and get the right length's but curious on the mounts

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stock one is approx. 9.5" from top to bottom of the actual mount structure, but about 10.5" from the top of the mount to the lower edge of the frame rail.
This as measured on the rearward face.

Is yours still a stem type upper shock mount? Or is the end of the shock an eye mount?
Maybe they installed the truck mounts like this: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Long_travel_shock_towers/Bronco_Front_Shock_Mounts perhaps?
Or maybe one of the similar types that has a big stud at the top to slip into the eye of the shock?

Paul

OP
OP
Skiddy

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yeah it's still the stem type, Thanks for the measurement Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
What I do is measure the distance between the frame and the axle (ignore the bumpstop as if it didn't exist). That is worst case compression travel.

Subtract that number from the length between the shock mounts. That is compressed shock length. Shop by that number.

If you get a shock with a longer compressed length you risk bottoming the shock out. You can go slightly longer if you are sure you still have enough fudge factor with the total amount of squish possible on the bumpstop. Rubber has a lot of available squish, on a stock rubber it is possible to squish all the way to the cup. For segmented poly, where all poly goes solid under the segmentations leaves me with all the segments squishing flat.