• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vapor Recovery / Charcoal canister line to air Cleaner

bsquared

Contributor
Hey guys,
Could use a little help figuring out what to ask for at O"Reilly's. Almost finished with installing a vapor canister.

What type of hose have most of y'all run from the canister to the air cleaner? Canister exit is 3/4" and I've got a 1" knockout in the air cleaner. Just need to connect the two. Looks like aluminum hose is this pic.
Also, what is the name of the mushroom vent in this pic I pulled from another post? (thanks Glass Pony) It did not come with my canister.

Any pics of hose to air cleaner adapter are appreciated!

Thanks, B2

Attachments

• IMG_5798.jpg
    IMG_5798.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5797.jpg
    IMG_5797.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 166

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That cap has been called a "mushroom" cap for so long, I'm not sure what it's official name is.
But it's simply an "open" cap to allow ambient air to enter, but keep debris and water splash out.

I think most people nowadays just use 3/8" rubber fuel line to the air cleaner. But originally it was that metal reinforced paper fiber type hose. For the longest time that hose was actually available out on the shelves at most major stores. Not sure if it would be there still, but worth a look.
Maybe "smog" hose would get you close with some counter people?

The knockout on your air cleaner housing would have had a plastic fitting to accept the original fiber hose over it. A 3/8" rubber hose fits inside it instead.
But it works.

Paul

Joe473

The metal hose has a gates part number and I had found it on rock auto.com of all places

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If your Q-jet has a bowl vent hose fitting, you can attach that to the second of the small fittings on the canister.

Your system will function properly without the mushroom cap by the way. It just won't be complete and could get some contamination.
The original setup for late in the '70 model year through some time in '72 would have used the reinforced tubing not only to connect to the air cleaner housing, but a second matching tube from the canister up into the engine compartment WITHOUT a mushroom cap. It simply had a plastic fitting that slipped inside and a lip remaining outside to simply reinforce that venting port. No cap to keep debris out, just the plastic to make sure the hose didn't get crushed.

Paul

tirewater

Contributor
Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
I imagine you can find something suitable (metal hose) at the hardware store. I want to replace mine. The plastic fitting that goes into the air filter housing is going to be a little harder to come by.

The mushroom cap could be found at the junk yard. A lot of ford vehicles used them. As DirtDonk said, it's just a plastic cap that allows air into the canister. There's no spring in it.

I think your asking about the 3/4" corrugated aluminum hose. West Coast Cougar has them and the nipple in the air cleaner here;https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d1uz-9d667-a.html

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Here you go...

The mushroom, or breather can be found at a wrecking yard from the same vintage Ford vehicle. Later ones/like Fox body Mustang, do not fit without some mods...

Attachments

• Emissions Hose.JPG
    Emissions Hose.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
Thanks a million, Bronco Peeps! All done. Since 3/8" fuel line will work and I had some leftover hose, I went that route. Just happened to have a 3/8" 18NPT tap and cut some threads in the canister to help an AN fitting get a grip. I might pin it in place, but happy with the results. Catch tank had both in and out in same direction. (not good) Luckily the welder was set up for AL, so plugged up the previous threads and reversed that.

Drilled and tapped one cross support to keep the line up w/ limited low spots. Strapping and SS Ty-Raps (not shown) were company sponsored. (free is good)

Thanks for the help getting started. I'm pretty happy with results. ;D;D

Cheers, B2

Attachments

• IMG_5804.JPG
    IMG_5804.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5806.JPG
    IMG_5806.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5802.JPG
    IMG_5802.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5799.JPG
    IMG_5799.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5795.jpg
    IMG_5795.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5794.jpg
    IMG_5794.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 98
OP
OP
bsquared

bsquared

Contributor
If your Q-jet has a bowl vent hose fitting, you can attach that to the second of the small fittings on the canister.

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the insight! Is the post I have circled on my Q-Jet the bowl vent you mentioned? What would be the advantage of running a separate hose from this vent to the small fitting on the canister? (ie - what does that do for the Q-Jet?)

Thanks for everyone's help! Cheers, B2

Attachments

• IMG_5801.JPG
    IMG_5801.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 60

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is the main bowl vent, but it's not the "bowl vent" I was thinking of. I should have stated an emissions vent, which would have been on the outside of the air cleaner horn ring, and usually at an angle other than vertical.
Since your vent is the standard feed vent inside the air cleaner, there's no need to try to plumb it into the evap canister.

The advantage to the later emissions type is that it does not allow gas vapors to escape as easily into the atmosphere through the air filter. Especially an open-element type.
So your garage, and the air in general, is a little less gassy.
But if the carb is not already equipped, there's really no reasonable way to install one. Not worth the hassle really.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The vapor recovery systems were required by EPA starting in the early '70s. It's the vintage of an OE carb not the make or model that determines the presence or absence of a vent nipple to the charcoal canister.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
An example of what Paul said... 77 Bronco Federal emissions 2V carb.

Rubber covered nipple above float bowl would have had a vacuum line running to 2nd small port on factory CC

Attachments

• Carb front.JPG
    Carb front.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 42