• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OEM Wheel Color

SLAYER

Loc.
Steamboast Springs
Our 74 bronco came with a spare wheel that is white, incorrectly painted wheels ( on the truck ) and an extra set of OEM wheels which are gray...

I searched and found various references to the factory colors, and read about a wheel color switch mid 74 to silver.

I would like to paint the wheels we have either the correct white, or the correct gray ( not the silver ) Does anyone know of a decent / close match in spray paint / enamel or otherwise that would work for the white or the gray?

Our truck is a driver and not a show rig, so I want the correct look but not too concerned with exact PPG paint codes to match etc and would like to blast and paint or powder coat this summer.

Thanks in advance for the help

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I thought my wheels on my 66 where Wimbledon white and that's what I went with. I think the other color is Argent, also called Silver Metallic. If your grill center is different than the body color I would think about that color. Good luck

OP
OP
SLAYER

SLAYER

Loc.
Steamboast Springs
Thanks -- does the wimbledon white sell in aerosol form somewhere or did you just match it from an off the shelf paint? thanks!

I'm not trying for a show-stopper here, just something that "looks" the part.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My 1974 Ford Bronco Explorer had all 5 wheels grey. Bronco was produced June 1974. truck came will the Standard Bronco Hubcaps with red centers. The spare tire carrier was mounted inside the bed on the tailgate if that would have made a difference on what the rim color was used..

Broncitis

MEB Founder
You can get Wimbledon White in spray cans at AutoZone

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The grey is most likely Argent. Funny, thats pretty much what all the fancy new cars since around the late 90s have called silver.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The grey is most likely Argent. Funny, thats pretty much what all the fancy new cars since around the late 90s have called silver.

No my wheels were not argent they were grey plain old light navy grey. I bought my Bronco with only 10,000 miles on it Christmas eve 1977 I still have them just no longer on my truck. I know the difference between argent and grey.

suckerpunched

mine is a 75 built in late 74. had an argent grill and grey wheels. It is all original paint. the wheels are a very light non metallic grey. I rubbed the oxidation off and snapped a pic for you.

Attachments

• 20170324_123232.jpg
    20170324_123232.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 101

suckerpunched

No I would have to look around, but I think the picture represents the color pretty well. it is really light grey.

suckerpunched

I knew a guy that had an old ford that was Ford Dove Grey. I have seen at least two different colors of what was claimed to be Dove grey, one was a lot darker. The car in the picture is what I have in mind. It is very similar to (maybe the same) as early ford tractor color. the newer New Holland grey is darker. You might be able to still get it at the Ford New Holland tractor dealer or maybe tractor supply.

Attachments

• Photo Shoot #1.jpg
    Photo Shoot #1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 31

suckerpunched

I think it will get you pretty darn close

Attachments

• ca00d4aee3f8a1bde10180b80cb49afc.jpg
    ca00d4aee3f8a1bde10180b80cb49afc.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 20170324_123232.jpg
    20170324_123232.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 31

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The wheel color from '74 to '76 was a 'dove' grey. The '77s had the argent wheels, and before that they were white.

The powder color that very closely matches the correct grey is called 'window grey'.