• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco Trim Packages - Sport, Ranger, Explorer

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Sport Package - First offered in 1967, the Sport was mostly a chrome (called "bright" by Ford) package.
Interior
1. Door Panels - Vinyl door trim panels with bright molding
2. Headliner - Hardboard with bright retainers (wagon models only)
3. Floor Mats – Parchment vinyl front mat with bright metal retainers (matching rear mat with optional rear seat)
4. Cigar lighter
5. Horn Ring
6. Steering wheel with woodtone horn pad

Exterior (note: Bright = chrome)
7. Bright metal windshield and window frame
8. Bright metal drip rail moldings
9. Bright grille frame molding and tailgate release handle
10. Bright headlight, tail light, side marker lights and rear reflector bezels
11. Fender emblems, Sport Bronco
12. Argent (gray) painted grille with bright FORD letters
13. Bright bumpers, front and rear
14. Bright front bumper guards
15. Bright metal wheel covers
Source & further reading: "Ford Bronco 1966-1977" by R.M. Clarke & Factory Ford brochures

Ranger Package - First offered in 1972, the Ranger package was an upgrade from the Sport.
Includes all items from the Sport package plus (or in lieu of):
- Color keyed full carpeting (including tailgate and wheel housings)
- Color keyed vinyl door trim panels with burl woodtone accent
- Color keyed vinyl trim (with insulation) on rear quarter panels
- Cloth and vinyl seat trim in 3 colors; Ginger, Blue or Avocado Green (called Tan, Blue or Jade in 1977 brochures)
- Houndstooth check fabric seat inserts with matching door trim panels
- Color keyed instrument panel paint
- Hood and lower bodyside tape stripes (white stripe with orange accent)
- Swing-away spare tire carrier
- Spare tire cover (white vinyl with orange accent and Bronco insignia)
- Coat hook​
Source & further reading: "Ford Bronco 1966-1977" by R.M. Clarke & Factory Ford brochures

Explorer Package - Beginning in 1972, this trim package was available in only 2 colors; Blue Metallic or Copper Metallic
- Available with only 2 paint colors; Blue Metallic or Copper Metallic
- Metallic Blue painted Explorers came with blue interior and white exterior striping
- Metallic Copper painted Explorers came with tan interior and choice of tan or white exterior striping
- Bright wheel covers
- Ranger door trim panels
- Color-keyed front and rear seats with striped pattern cloth inserts
- Color-keyed front and rear floor mats
- "Explorer" badge on glove box
- Swing-away spare tire carrier
- Vinyl tire cover in white or tan with the word "Explorer"
Source & further reading: "Ford 4x4s 1935-1990 Photo History" by Paul McLaughlin & Factory Ford brochures

Special Decor Group - This exterior appearance package could be ordered by itself or in addition to other packages such as the Sport.
- Black painted grille
- Solid exterior colors (ie. top was painted to match body color, although a white roof was still available as an option)
- Color-keyed tape stripe across hood and down bodysides
- Bright wheel covers (already included if also a Sport)
- Bright windshield and window frames (already included if also a Sport)​
Source & further reading: Factory Ford brochures

Last edited:

clarrance

Bronco Guru
I just thought I might add to some of the trim packages that were not mentioned.
1967 Sport also had chrome trim on the top & bottom of the dash this is the only year for this trim. also the door panels and the seats had the pleats running opposite direction from the later years of the Sport package.

1972 Explorer Sport had a durango tan color package that was close to the explorer package, the interior door panels and seats were brown instead of parchment white.

1973 - 1974 Explorers colors were red and orange with matching red and orange interior.
I have also seen color matching rubber floormats in both explorer and ranger packages. The most common one in both packages that I have seen has been blue.

Some Ranger packages in late 1972 early 1973 did not come with the Ranger emblem on the glove box door. all later Rangers have the emblem on the glove box door. 1977 Ranger has different font plastic Ranger emblem on the glove box door. Spare tire cover reads Bronco Ranger.

Special Decor was only offered in 1976-1977

Last edited:

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
my build sheet from ford missed the special decor stripe on mine
and on my 77 sport there is no horn ring it is a push type

BroncoRanger

Loc.
Anahola, HI
Anyone pm me if you know where to find the ranger spare tire cover because my ranger just has a black ford bronco cover.

thanks

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
great post, I have always wondered about my EB because I have an Explorer model from 72. great info..

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>> thought I'd add some more old ads showing the explorer options...... first is from 1972 & the 4th blurry pic is from a later mid 70's brochure showing the similar stripes/tape on the later explorer trucks,rancheros & broncos......the early ads show the early explorer bronco were available in other "unique" colors besides the later copper & blue metallic explorer broncos.....ford called the explorer option a appearance package with "unique color & trim combinations".... the later brochure in the 4th pic conflicts with the info above by saying the later explorer broncos came with blue metallic or copper....it shows copper metallic as one of the standard color choices...... it shows later 70's pickup explorer available with jade metallic,blue metallic or copper then the ranchero explorer was available with silver blue metallic, med. ivy bronze metallic or tan metallic.....

Attachments

• 72explorer-brochure05.jpg
    72explorer-brochure05.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 1,011
  • B31184.jpg
    B31184.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 678
  • B31317.jpg
    B31317.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 588
  • 100_0523.JPG
    100_0523.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 580
  • 39ac_1.jpg
    39ac_1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 434
  • 5952_1.jpg
    5952_1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
My 77 has been repainted but matches the description of the Special Decor Package.

Is the stripe on the orange Special Decor Bronco shown above correct ?

Mine goes further rearward clear to the back instead of stopping at the seam.

I am going to repaint it this summer and would like to do it correctly.

Brunko

1972 Ford Bronco Ranger stripe kit

Hey everyone. I just purchased a 1972 bronco and I wanted to put some ranger package stripes on it. Does anyone know where I can get this done?

PLease let me know if you have any helpful resources. I am located in California

Thanks

nickm

Loc.
South Houston
Does anyone have pictures of this option?

1967 Sport also had chrome trim on the top & bottom of the dash this is the only year for this trim. also door panels had the pleats running opposite direction from the later years of the Sport package.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
Does anyone have pictures of this option?

here's a shot of the lower trim, the owner said he has the upper, it just wasn't on at this time. the ones i've seen are just like the bottom, but installed just below the dash pad.

Attachments

• DSC01266.jpg
    DSC01266.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,073
OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Here's another from a Bronco at Fab Fords 2006. It has both upper and lower. Wonder if it's the same truck?

Attachments

• 2006 Fab Fords Broncos188.jpg
    2006 Fab Fords Broncos188.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 930

ajportmann

Ranger stripes

Hey everyone. I just purchased a 1972 bronco and I wanted to put some ranger package stripes on it. Does anyone know where I can get this done?

PLease let me know if you have any helpful resources. I am located in California

Thanks

have you found stripes yet? if not i think i know where you can get a set. -aj

wareaglebronc

Loc.
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Hey i have an original 76 with the Explorer package and it has a dash mounted compass just to the right of the speedo. I have heard a rumor once or twice that this was an option with the package. It looks like its been there a while and has the same wood pattern found on the door panels around the bottom of it. Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor? I am restoring it to its original condition and I am trying to find the missing pieces that I have. Anyone know of any floor mats out there?

nickm

Loc.
South Houston
Hey i have an original 76 with the Explorer package and it has a dash mounted compass just to the right of the speedo. I have heard a rumor once or twice that this was an option with the package. It looks like its been there a while and has the same wood pattern found on the door panels around the bottom of it. Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor? I am restoring it to its original condition and I am trying to find the missing pieces that I have. Anyone know of any floor mats out there?

Can you post a pics? sound kinda neat :cool:

darrelclymer

Where on my Bronco do i tell whether or not the Bronco was indeed a sport? I was told it was, but it no longer has the tell-tale front grill...?

64jmb

1977 Bronco Orage Special Decor

Who owns the 1977 Bronco in Orange special Decor with the optional black and argent mag hubcaps? is that truck for sale?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Who owns the 1977 Bronco in Orange special Decor with the optional black and argent mag hubcaps? is that truck for sale?

Sadly, that truck no longer exists. It was stolen from the owner in LA and driven to the Mojave Desert where it was torched and burnt to a crisp. I had a long history with the truck as it resided in the small town of Prescott, AZ, when I was a kid in the late '70s-90s. It was owned by an elderly gentleman who had bought it as a used vehicle within the first year of its life. In the late 90s, he sold it to a friend of mine who owned it for a year or two before selling it to the CA owner.

Todd Z.