• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Behemoth Drivetrain - Strong Box Underdrive

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
He's taking a bit long on the delivery of mine. It was supposed to be a month out, we are at 1 1/2 months so far and still haven't received it. He said this week last week.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I received confirmation on a tracking number for mine today. I'll take pics when it arrives!

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I received my gearbox today! It was a month and 1/2 late, but he answered the phone almost any time I called him. Calling me back if he didn't answer. Jacob did say he's talking to a bigger machine shop to handle the volume of business he had received.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Here's some teaser pics.... I'll get more detailed upon assembly.

nesuzy3y.jpg

a8evu5ug.jpg

u9uba7am.jpg

9emedera.jpg

eju2aqe9.jpg

gy9yvyde.jpg

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Doubler is installed! I'll test drive it tomorrow. Shifts good, the clockablity is really cool. All the build pics are in my build thread.... Click on the link in my sig. line.

6a9uzese.jpg

jyvetata.jpg

egyhugas.jpg

a5uqa7u8.jpg

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Can I ask a dumb question?

What is the advantage to the Dana 20?
Why wouldn't a guy want to use something better? Or is the D20 just awesome?

The reason I ask is because I spoke to my local transmission guy and when I told him I wanted to put a ZF 5S47 in my bronco, he told me that the D20 wouldn't last.

I am new to transfer cases. Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Mine is built with a np205... The D20 has a weak output shaft, but stronger/upgraded ones are available.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Is there an adapter for a zf to an NP205? Would it be better to just use a behemoth box behind my zf to the D20?

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
The ZF doesn't need and adapter to mate to a np205. You will not have to do anything to mate up to a strong box. To mate a ZF to a np205, you'll have to notch a section for the rear shifter.

OP
OP
Behemoth DT

Behemoth DT

Loc.
Clarkson, KY
Is there an adapter for a zf to an NP205? Would it be better to just use a behemoth box behind my zf to the D20?

NP205 has a 1.96:1 low range. While many people use the Strong Box to adapt from one transfer case application to another, the fact that it will almost triple your torque and give you multiple gearing options at the same time makes it a no brainer if you are looking for a very versatile and capable drivetrain.

BW1356 Strong Box/NP205 gears:
1:1, 1.96:1, 2.7:1, & 5.3:1.

NP205 can be mated to ZF. As stated, you need to notch for the shift rail. Also, sometimes the 4 bolts holding the input bearing/seal retainter on 205 will need clearance work in the ZF tail housing.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
So I can go from the ZF to the Strong Box with no need for a spud shaft or coupler or anything?

And the NP205 will bolt right up to the strong box with no shaft or couplers?

And all I need to do is a little notching and clearancing?

Then why do people keep the D20? Am I missing something? Like you said, no brainer.

How does the Strong Box/NP205 length compare to an Atlas 4? The Atlas 4 is WAY out of my price range. But I am still curious as to the numbers.

Thanks for answering my previous questions.

OP
OP
Behemoth DT

Behemoth DT

Loc.
Clarkson, KY
We notch the Strong Box for the NP205 if you order it so. No couplers or adapters or spud shafts.

STRONG BOX/205 is about 20", Strong Box shorty / EBD20 is about 15".
Length is why people choose the D20.

OP
OP
Behemoth DT

Behemoth DT

Loc.
Clarkson, KY
Right now youd be at 30-45 days for Strong Box/205. We have 40 chevy/jeep 231/241 kits due in next week from a manufacturing facility (in the USA). That will free us up to get the Ford kits and prototyping some new stuff.

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
Yeah buddy!
I just put my order in.
My bronco is gonna be so sweeeet. Diet Dr. PEPPER for all the passengers.