• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock and 2.5 Lift pictures

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
I wanted to compare the uncut Bronco stock height vs 2.5 lift so I am posting this picture for anyone who wants to see the same. Thinking about doing 2.5 lift on mine.

Attachments

• bronco-suspension-2-5-stock.jpg
    bronco-suspension-2-5-stock.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 549

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The stock suspension Bronco has the typical nose down stance. A pair of leveling front coils would improve the look while saving money. Any change in the rear with the 2 1/5" lift is hard to see. The improvement in stance is largely in the front. One of the vendors offered leveling front coils. I can't find them with the vendors now. Moog makes a CC814 coil that lifts the front about 1 3/4", for less than 90 shipped. These are also variable rate.

jdbronco

Loc.
Panama City Beach
I am very happy with my 2.5". It looks taller but really doesn't look like you lifted it. It just looks like the way they should have been from the factory.
Also I was really surprised with how worn out all the bushings were and the fact that one center pin had disintegrated. My Bronco handles better lifted than it did with 50 year old springs.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Moog springs aren't listed as '69 parts, but work in any '66-'79. Just look on Ebey for Moog CC814s. They're not specifically made for '69s or '66-'77 Broncos, but the springs that are will give you the same nose down stance you already have. I'm curious, where you did look? I've installed '78 Bronco springs like the CC814s on my '77, and work great. Moog doesn't make lift kits. The people who do, don't give you the specs, Moog does. Sometimes you have to think out of the box.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Here's mine with a WH 2.5" SL and a one inch BL. Tires are 32x10x17". I might have some before too if you need them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 155

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Most rear springs after 40 years are flat and have no arch left in them. The ride with a new 2.5" suspension lift with 11 pack leaf springs and quality shocks has got to be far better than the sagging original springs. I plan to install all new 2.5" suspension parts on my frame off project.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I have 2 sets of rear springs that are close to 50 yrs. old neither has lost 1/4" in ride height. Here in Tucson where there's no rust, old pickups are everywhere. None of them have flattened rear springs. It sounds like there are more than a few lift kit salesmen. I'd love to see some of these mythical flattened leaf springs.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have 2 sets of rear springs that are close to 50 yrs. old neither has lost 1/4" in ride height. Here in Tucson where there's no rust, old pickups are everywhere. None of them have flattened rear springs. It sounds like there are more than a few lift kit salesmen. I'd love to see some of these mythical flattened leaf springs.

And yours is a '77, no? What is the GVW? 6 leaf springs?

Thanks,
Todd Z.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Here is my LUBR with a 2.5 inch lift and 30x9.50 tires.

Attachments

• Rainbow.jpg
    Rainbow.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Mt. Pacifico 5-24, 2008 006.jpg
    Mt. Pacifico 5-24, 2008 006.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 158
  • FFF 4-20-08 008.jpg
    FFF 4-20-08 008.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 181

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pile on the flat spring thing, my old ones were fine as well when removed for the lift. Just depends how they were beat when used.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My '77 came with and still has 6 leaf springs with one of them being an overload leaf. My point is that the often repeated nonsense that all the OE springs are worn out, just isn't true. The equally often repeated definition of what stock ride height means, says my stock springs are a 1" lift kit.
Worse, there are knuckle heads that tell anyone who doesn't know better that all EBs need a lift kit. The truth is that people who sell lift kits are the ones who benifit not the EB owners.

OP
OP
69broncofun

69broncofun

Bronco Guru
My '77 came with and still has 6 leaf springs with one of them being an overload leaf. My point is that the often repeated nonsense that all the OE springs are worn out, just isn't true. The equally often repeated definition of what stock ride height means, says my stock springs are a 1" lift kit.
Worse, there are knuckle heads that tell anyone who doesn't know better that all EBs need a lift kit. The truth is that people who sell lift kits are the ones who benifit not the EB owners.

IMHO I like the looks of stock height and uncut.

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru

I don't see how you can say it isn't true when many Bronco owners including myself have seen it with their own eyes. I've owned a dozen Broncos and multiple ones have had flat or negative springs in the rear.

A lot of the Broncos have trailer hitches on them which means they were loading the rear with some kind of weight, plus using their Broncos fully such as loading it down with gear, kids, boats or canoes on the roof, hauling wood in the back, etc. A lot of these Broncos were beat on for decades so I don't see how your one Bronco defines all the others when it comes to rear leaf springs.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
Modern twist on it, Royal Maroon is the original color. I spiced it up just a bit with a slight metal flake that is only seen well in bright sun.