• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Overheating problems - your suggestions?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You know, having the condenser sandwiched between the radiator and the core support could really throw things off. That moves the radiator and shroud further back so the fan is too far inside the shroud. My condenser sits on the front side of the core support.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
You know, having the condenser sandwiched between the radiator and the core support could really throw things off. That moves the radiator and shroud further back so the fan is too far inside the shroud. My condenser sits on the front side of the core support.

Good eye

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Here are photos of the fan inside the shroud. Do I need to get a photo of the spacer? Or just measure it?

Attachments

• fan1.jpg
    fan1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 115
  • fan2.jpg
    fan2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 115
  • fan3.jpg
    fan3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 112

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Is there a spacer? Doesn't look like there's enough space for a spacer. If there is a spacer it needs to come out because the fan is too far forward.

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru

From the pictures, does it look like I can move the condenser in front of the core support without moving that other cooling unit?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
From the pictures, does it look like I can move the condenser in front of the core support without moving that other cooling unit?

I would not do try to move the condenser unless you run into some clearance problems with the new fan. It would be a lot of effort and I'm not sure that size condenser would fit in front.

I think you are on the right track with replacing the thermostat and fan. I would still check the timing to make sure it is advanced properly at idle. That can make a big difference.

Regarding moving the transmission cooler that is in front of the condenser. It may not have to be moved to solve your cooling issue but, anything you can do to increase airflow will keep you, and your bronco cooler. Your A/C and radiator will perform better if not blocked by the transmission cooler.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
You might think about trying things one step at a time and try it out between steps.

1) make sure the timing is right.
2) replace the thermostat with a 195 one
3) try a new fan
4) move the tranny cooler

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Its right. They always look weird to me because the tips curve. Here is mine.
c9ae709f9b4842bd672679793bc1deba.jpg

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Ok this might be a dumb question but do I have to check the timing as much if I have the EFI set up and not the old carburetor?

OP
OP
Ksm

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Here are two photos of how the fan is attached. Is the spacer still an issue? I can take the spacer off and that should pull the fan back some???

Attachments

• spacer1.jpg
    spacer1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 75
  • spacer2.jpg
    spacer2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 76

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Looks like at least two pieces in there. I expect you could pull something out and move the fan back a bit as long as it does not hit the compressor. Do you still have the old fan?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Black item appears to be a 1"-1.5" spacer. Consider pulling it and attaching the fan directly to the pulley but before you do that remove the belt and spin the fan slowly to watch clearances to determine if you remove the spacer is the fan going to hit anything especially the compressor. Looks like someone might have added the spacer to keep the fan from hitting something. If you can pull it successfully without the fan hitting something then do so and that might cure your cooling issue without any other changes. One thing at a time.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
As others have said check base timing and a 7 blade fan, your definitely not getting enough air flow at idle. Wish I was closer.......

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Do I have this right?

Transmission cooler (a heat source and air flow obstruction)
AC condenser (a heat source and air flow obstruction)

Those are in front of the engine radiator?

The fan and shroud are not helping air flow or cooling, but neither is trying to cool with slow hot air.