• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

factory FI vs aftermarket FI

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you buy an explorer for say $800 you get the engine, harness, intakes, ECM, front dress the whole shooting match. Just need a fuel system but that goes for the aftermarkets systems too.

Tim

Starting with a complete running Explorer you can take the fuel lines and modify them for the Bronco (the Explorer is longer), and the Explorer fuel pump can be mounted in the Bronco tank.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Aftermarket hands down. The factory stuff has no manufacturer support anymore so you are stuck with people with good intentions on the inter web for your support and very little of actual trained professionals. Ive heard the complaint of what about parts availability on the trail... well cupcakes, most of the 90 to 96 mustang stuff is usually a no longer stocked item along with the 96 to 2000 explorer setup. With units like my favorite, FiTech, I can get all of the sensors in town, coolant, O2, TPS etc as they are all common in production GM parts... as much as it pains me to mention GM here but in reality this is your best available option in that regard. The only thing they won't have available is the ECU which goes the same for even brand new cars off the lot, you're stuck ordering that and waiting a day or two however I have yet to see an ECU fail so while it is possible, it will be very rare.

Timmy390

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Aftermarket hands down. The factory stuff has no manufacturer support anymore so you are stuck with people with good intentions on the inter web for your support and very little of actual trained professionals. Ive heard the complaint of what about parts availability on the trail... well cupcakes, most of the 90 to 96 mustang stuff is usually a no longer stocked item along with the 96 to 2000 explorer setup. With units like my favorite, FiTech, I can get all of the sensors in town, coolant, O2, TPS etc as they are all common in production GM parts... as much as it pains me to mention GM here but in reality this is your best available option in that regard. The only thing they won't have available is the ECU which goes the same for even brand new cars off the lot, you're stuck ordering that and waiting a day or two however I have yet to see an ECU fail so while it is possible, it will be very rare.

I respectfully disagree with the assessment Ford Factory parts are no longer stocked.

I've had zero issues finding any sensor for my 95/96/97 cobbled system that I needed. The factory stuff has the same sensors temp, IAC, O2, TPS, TFI, distributor, etc. and they're all right down the road at any of my local parts stores. I know this because I just replaced most of my sensors throwing parts at an issue I couldn't figure out. Turned out to be the new cam wnated more air at idle then the IAC could give and nothing to do with the EFI was was running. Bought a factory Ford part and all is good. Ford used the same sensors across many platforms for many years. Literally millions of them still on the roads.

The T-body injection is nice and I'm not going to knock it BUT it's older GM tech that's not being used anymore. Sure being marketed as the next best thing but it's older than any Ford system out there. If Ford parts are hard to fine, then the even older GM stuff should be like hens teeth.

I think systems like FiTech have there place. In fact I'm considering it on my 390FE Space is limited under the Mach 1 hood and FiTech should fit with no issues.

Tim

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.

My point about being in prepared if you're planning a remote trail somewhere, is to have redundant systems in case there's an issue. I carry a spare ECU for my Explorer based EFI, along with several other things and so do many other guys that run the Mustang stuff. Most failures that I see occurring with the Mustang EFI are ECU's (mostly from age) or distributor issues. These things are easy to fix when you have the parts with you. The only way to carry a spare Fitech ECU would be to buy another Fitech system. If you're gonna be the only one out there running an aftermarket system, you better be self sufficient and bring everything that you need. The flip side to carrying spares is, you don't want a 8,000lb. Bronco.%) It's nice to have buddies that are set up similar to you.

Mark

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As time goes, aftermarket is beginning to rule.

I would not say this ten years ago, but now, The mustang and Explorer systems are going to become rarer to procure and the basic costs of those systems will be close to an aftermarket one.

I just returned a new in the box Holley Terminator system cause I did not have what is now considered the right intake, I'll swap later. Somewhat my bad but more so on the manufacture not "telling all".

But that doesn't change the fact these aftermarket systems are being supported with line item parts easily sourced anywhere. Yeah, blow a fitech or holley ECU your dead, but same if you don't have the spare ford ecu tuned to your build with you, at about the same cost of carrying a spare fitech unit.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I respectfully disagree with the assessment Ford Factory parts are no longer stocked.

I've had zero issues finding any sensor for my 95/96/97 cobbled system that I needed. The factory stuff has the same sensors temp, IAC, O2, TPS, TFI, distributor, etc. and they're all right down the road at any of my local parts stores. I know this because I just replaced most of my sensors throwing parts at an issue I couldn't figure out. Turned out to be the new cam wnated more air at idle then the IAC could give and nothing to do with the EFI was was running. Bought a factory Ford part and all is good. Ford used the same sensors across many platforms for many years. Literally millions of them still on the roads.

The T-body injection is nice and I'm not going to knock it BUT it's older GM tech that's not being used anymore. Sure being marketed as the next best thing but it's older than any Ford system out there. If Ford parts are hard to fine, then the even older GM stuff should be like hens teeth.

I think systems like FiTech have there place. In fact I'm considering it on my 390FE Space is limited under the Mach 1 hood and FiTech should fit with no issues.

Tim

Some items are stocked and I guess it has to do with the area etc. you are in. In my area, I think I was the only one requesting parts availability for items like the IAC etc. and that none of the stores had them however most could have them in the afternoon or next morning which is acceptable but not when you are out in the middle of no where etc. Your judgement on the TBI parts being old school is only vaguely accurate. The fact is all forms of EFI being it TBI (Throttle Body Injection), MPI (Multi Port Injection) or SPI (Sequential Port Injection) are obsolete today with the introduction of HPDI (High Pressure Direct Injection). This is the reason they are now pushing these small displacement motors to amazing new numbers with tiny turbos and insane compression ratios because they are a true dry intake system only injecting fuel when it is absolutely necessary just like a diesel engine does. No more spark knock or detonation etc. with the new tech. so yes TBI is old but it is far from outdated. All of the 3 common systems are actually very close to basic function and components the only difference is where the injectors are placed for the TBI and MPI with the SPI having more sensors so only the injector at the appropriate cylinder fires when the vale is open. Sorry about the lesson but it is to make the point that the TBI system is no more archaic than the factory Explorer system, these are just plain mechanical facts. Now the components used in the FiTech are modern production components of modern GM engines whereas the ford components have been out of factory production since 2000 and is only supported by the aftermarket. Its not a bad or terrible system mind you so do not think I am bashing it in that regard, it is just ugly as hell under the hood of a classic when comparing an original carbureted rig next to a FiTech rig next to a Ford SPI rig. Two look the same or period correct whereas the other simply looks like it does not belong in my opinion. As for functioning etc. I would put any FiTech equipped 302 up against any factory ford 5.0 pushrod system and I seriously doubt there would be much of a difference if at all between the two in a real world comparison with the main difference being it's appearance. The other issue is the mustang systems everyone is after if they plan on pumping up the volume are getting harder and harder to find and of those units found, fewer are in operating condition as the circuit boards are starting to fail due to age. This is where the aftermarket will shine on past them. Its not saying that one day FiTech or MSD or one of the many other out there may decide to create a plug and play ECU system to retrofit the ford MPI system like they did for the LS series but I do not see that gaining any traction any time soon.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
My point about being in prepared if you're planning a remote trail somewhere, is to have redundant systems in case there's an issue. I carry a spare ECU for my Explorer based EFI, along with several other things and so do many other guys that run the Mustang stuff. Most failures that I see occurring with the Mustang EFI are ECU's (mostly from age) or distributor issues. These things are easy to fix when you have the parts with you. The only way to carry a spare Fitech ECU would be to buy another Fitech system. If you're gonna be the only one out there running an aftermarket system, you better be self sufficient and bring everything that you need. The flip side to carrying spares is, you don't want a 8,000lb. Bronco.%) It's nice to have buddies that are set up similar to you.

Mark

Your point is well taken and yes if I were going to go off the beaten path miles from nowhere I absolutely would have a goody bag full of items like a spare ECU, all of the sensors as well as a spare magnetic pick up. Those items added to the regular necessities (oil, belt, hose repair kit, spark plugs etc.) would have me well suited to completely rebuild the FiTech along with the distributor etc. and would not take up more room than a quart of oil at a 1/3rd of the weight of the same quart.... To me this would be essential to my off roading to ensure barring a total loss accident or mishap, I would be able to get my rig running and drive it out.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I do it, I'm going to opt for a multiport injection intake, and a throttle body control unit, however an off engine ECU, I just can't see those lasting in the heat. Trending to Edelbrocks Proflo3, close behind a FAST system.

Digger556

From a refinement standpoint, the OEM system is the way to go. There are days I wish I had gone that route, but truth be told, my engine is different than factory and would require a custom calibration anyway. So buying an off-the-shelf computer is a no-go and I would be stuck carrying a re-flashed spare anyway.

My setup is in the minority in that it's an aftermarket system, but I built it with an aftermarket throttle body and chose a Microsquirt computer that you map/program yourself. The sensors and injectors are more modern than the Ford EFI stuff. The computer is inexpensive and small. I carry spares for any parts that cannot be obtained at the parts store, which is the bigger injectors and the computer.

I like it's flexibility. I could fuel it with E85 or add turbos or nitrous, but it also requires more upfront work. The end result is clean and at a glance looks like a standard carb'd engine. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy playing with it.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Mine is a cobbled together Mustang multi-port. Parts came from 2 or 3 different Mustangs but once it was running right it has worked great for 9+ yrs. Should you go this route get all the parts from one vehicle only that was running when junked or sold.

We also have guys in our LEBC club who have aftermarket kits and swear by them once they get tuned right. So to me it's whatever suits your fancy.