• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Gents, I spoke to the shop today at Ruffstuff. Apparently the cure is designed to fit their TRE which is supposed to be universal?

Bad luck on mine, as my TRE is not the same and has a larger body.

It would have been nice to see that this is not a universal fit product in the instructions. So, I have to decide on ordering one of their TRE's and another Cure delrin product. DAMMIT!

So beware before ordering if you already have an existing Chevy 1-ton TRE on your truck.

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
Installed mine yesterday. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet but it's got to be an improvement .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It is. I'm sure that like most parts, results may vary, but from a purely technical standpoint, and from feedback from a friend who just installed one a couple of weeks ago, there is definitely an improvement.

We did "the test" with each of us taking turns at the wheel while the other watched the tie rod. It did not completely eliminate roll (didn't actually expect it to get rid of 100% of it) but it reduced it noticeably.

The rolling motion has been a problem with the GM 1-ton style setup with the vertically oriented draglink mount. Ford oriented the original mount at an approx. 45° angle to reduce the rolling effect the draglink has on the tie-rod.
The Ruff-Stuff disc is definitely an improvement. At least in the case of my friend, and he did not have the RS steering linkage and had to sand just a bit, so was probably lucky in that regard.

Paul

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
It was definitely an improvement for me. As DirtDonk stated it doesn't eliminate 100% of the roll but its a inexpensive easy upgrade.

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
We will work on making the description a little more clear that they are designed for our ends, but often can be made to work with other brands, there are just too many out there to really have a 'universal' fit across all brands.

And as the other guys have all noticed, it cleans up MOST of the tie rod roll, but as the axle moves up and down through travel, it also moves forward and backward a small amount and needs a little bit of deflection to be happy.

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Let me add a bit more here, this was originally answered by one of our tech's, I am Dan and I designed it.

First off, when installing if you need it to be tighter sand the matching end, not the grease trap end.

Secondly, TRE fit-up. We get our TRE's from 1 manufacturer but it seems all manufacturers vary by ~1/8" so some need more sanding than others. It dosen't affect anything if yours need more than others at all.

Thirdly, They were never intended to eliminate 100% of the roll. It's kind of like taking the shocke and leaf springs from a vehicle, with 10% of the roll you get a little give so its not like steel on steel.

These have proved themselves as a reliable part, they are a wear part but ours on 3 rigs with about 40,000 miles total haven't yet needed replacing so I can only guess how long yours will last.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Great info. Thanks.

I installed one on my tie rod end where the drag link meets the tie rod. Would installing one on the tie rod end at the pitman arm be okay? There is a decent amount of rotation there too.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1436016489130.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1436016489130.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Sabas

I installed one of this, great improvement over what I had.
Thanks Dan for providing great products.

Sabas

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
These are only meant to be used on a Y Link or T Link type of steering, if used at the knuckles they would limit your Ackerman Angle ability and bend the tie rod every time you turned Left or Right...

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Does that mean clocking the tie rods in opposite positions is a bad idea too?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably not, I'm guessing, due to the different sized rod ends.
Although it probably could be made to fit, it's not needed in our application anyway. The design of the #2390 system, when properly adjusted, minimizes the roll more common to the "1-ton" setups. It more closely follows the original Ford factory geometry.

It's the vertical orientation of the draglink to tie-rod interface that lets The Cure do it's job, while the 45° angle of our system (you can just see it in the pic you linked to) does not require it.

Paul

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably not, I'm guessing, due to the different sized rod ends.
Although it probably could be made to fit, it's not needed in our application anyway. The design of the #2390 system, when properly adjusted, minimizes the roll more common to the "1-ton" setups. It more closely follows the original Ford factory geometry.

It's the vertical orientation of the draglink to tie-rod interface that lets The Cure do it's job, while the 45° angle of our system (you can just see it in the pic you linked to) does not require it.

Paul

Thanks Paul, been very happy with the WH system and was mostly curious. For $20 what the heck! Thought I'd try it.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Crazy Shipping Cost!

Just went to buy one of these - $8.45 shipping on a $19, 3 oz part...

There has got to be a better way!

OP
OP
Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sacramento
Give us a call, they screw our shipping platform but we can ship it in a padded envelope for ~$3...Normally we simply refund the shipping difference...

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
Give us a call, they screw our shipping platform but we can ship it in a padded envelope for ~$3...Normally we simply refund the shipping difference...

OK, cool. I actually placed the order already because it was something that I wanted to try out. You will see my order at 5:00pm PST on November 2nd.

Eric

lynn w gray

tie rod rock n roll

Is this most prevalent on the drag link? meaning I need to buy 2? Or do I need to buy 4 and one each for each TRE?
What do you recommend?
Thanks!

running a double tie rod end boot worked for me, total 8 bucks.