• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lee's Special 76 Decor Build Thread

fosgate150

Well it has begun… The Bronco has been parked and I am taking it apart. Not planning a frame-off but will be taking my time on it. I am finding many hidden “surprises” from the PO, bondo does not fix rust!!! I have torn the front down and have started on the floor pans, gonna take those out and clean up everything I can get to underneath. The spot welds on the cross-member were a PAIN.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 599
  • No_fenders.jpg
    No_fenders.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 569
  • drivers_pan.jpg
    drivers_pan.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 612
  • drivers_no_floor.jpg
    drivers_no_floor.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 561

old 71

Looks like your off to a good start, I know what you mean about surprises my PO took a large block of bondo and carved a bronco out of it !
Good luck on your build .

Dale

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Sweet' another Cyan Red Special Decor.:cool: I'm looking forward to following your build. Good luck.

Bferrari

I know what you mean regarding the spot welds! Thankfully I just got past the point of drilling them out on mine. Keep it going and look forward to seeing your progress.

OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

I got the passenger side floor out today. The front cross-member closest to the firewall had only a handful of spot welds but the other one had more than enough. That one must have had a spot weld every inch on both sides.

Gonna start cleaning things up before I put them back in. The frame is in good shape with just some surface rust.

Attachments

• pass_no floor.JPG
    pass_no floor.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 337
OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

No new pictures but still working hard. Got the exhaust out and have started cleaning the frame (wire brush on a drill). I hope to have the motor out next and continue the cleaning.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like you are off to a good start.

Was this 76 Bronco originally a Special Decor Group Bronco or are you making it into one?

OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

Keep up the good work. Whose floor pans are you using?

I am using Bronco Graveyard pans, the test fit was pretty darn close. I may need to adjust on the bent side flanges a little bit.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Was this 76 Bronco originally a Special Decor Group Bronco or are you making it into one?

Yes, mine was 1 of 162 with these options. I am going to put her back stock besides the wheels and rear cut fenders.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 76 Special Decor in the works as well. I look forward to following along with your build.

I have always liked the looks of the Special Decor Broncos. Although I do not know total production in the 2 years offered, they do seem to be pretty rare.

OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

I have a 76 Special Decor in the works as well. I look forward to following along with your build.

I have always liked the looks of the Special Decor Broncos. Although I do not know total production in the 2 years offered, they do seem to be pretty rare.

I learned several interesting details with the Marti report. My Bronco had the Sport Option, 2 horns, and the top body color match option deleted.

Not sure about the total décor models but in 1976 only 2,408 Sport models were produced.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The original look of Orange with White Top and White Stripe will look great again.

Gonna go with original Black Grill insert and background as well? (Black on Front of Core Support)

OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

The original look of Orange with White Top and White Stripe will look great again.

Gonna go with original Black Grill insert and background as well? (Black on Front of Core Support)

Per the marti, mine had a black stripe originaly (I have already purchased this from Broncitis). Yes on the black grill insert and core support. Awesome comment, most people don't notice the core support being black and think it is the same as the body color.

Crazy the options the decor groups had. The stripe color could have been yellow, black, or white.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine has the White top option as well.

I have the "76 Ford Light Trucks Facts" Book and there is a lot of info on the options offered. Have not seen one yet with the Yellow stripe.

OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

Well I got the motor removed and then the transmission and transfer case... Let's just say that was fun... hahaha.

So much more cleaning to do...

Attachments

• trans_transfer.jpg
    trans_transfer.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 298
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 302
  • no_motor.jpg
    no_motor.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 321

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Gonna rebuild motor and trans or just a good clean-up needed?

Looking good. Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

Gonna rebuild motor and trans or just a good clean-up needed?

Looking good. Keep up the good work.

Doing a "good" clean-up and freshening up of everything. Will paint and shine up before they go back in.

OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

Found the transmission and the transfer case under all the dirt and grease... haha. Going to check everything and put new seals and gaskets in them.

Attachments

• trans_before.jpg
    trans_before.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 210
  • trans_after.jpg
    trans_after.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 223
OP
OP
fosgate150

fosgate150

more progress

Well with Summer vacations, the insane heat, and work I haven't been able to get much done. Today, I did get the trans filter changed, trans cleaned, and trans painted today. The JBG trans pan stiffener looks awesome and made a huge difference with tightening the pan back up. I painted it black just to standout against the silver.

I also cleaned and painted the transfer case cross-member and frame mounts but didn't get a pic of those.

The transfer case is next. I am leaning toward painting it blue.

Attachments

• trans_filter.JPG
    trans_filter.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 225
  • trans_pan.JPG
    trans_pan.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 240
  • trans_side.JPG
    trans_side.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 245
  • trans_top.JPG
    trans_top.JPG