• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

97 f250 hd

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Do you know where I can source the Heavy Service air filter and box?
It has an aftermarket K&N filter and box, and it's a nasty mess.

Used to be able to buy direct from Ford. Uses a blue oval filter instead of the small flat paper rectangle. We had them on three 97' grass rigs at the fire dept. All three trucks are for sale and I'll stop and get a pic.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I got one in Nov looked for about 3 years for one.
Camper was a later purchase,just happened to find a match.

Attachments

• 20170709_160606.jpg
    20170709_160606.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 54

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
The seller provided the original tailgate, aftermarket tuner, & factory mirrors.
Still looking it over, so far so good. I found the original window sticker in the paperwork and learned it's a XLT. I found a receipt for the tires from Discount Tire. The tires were bought in 2011 at 131000 miles, it now has 134,000 miles, so 3,000 miles in the last 6 years. So I guess they are "new".
I doubt I'll ever wear it out

Keep finding the goodies.. :)

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I notice you have the K&N cold air on yours,as do I.
I did a lot of reading on 7.3's after I got mone and the concensus was due to the high volume of air the K&N didn't filter the best. I replaced my element with a Napa 6637,Google it.
I also put on a pre filter.
Also found some different mirror heads at the wrecking yard this weekend.

Attachments

• 20170720_185955.jpg
    20170720_185955.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20170720_192438.jpg
    20170720_192438.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the ideas for the filters. I don't like wet filters. I've been chasing an oil leak and found a oil barrel plug leaking in the head behind the alternator. Got it fixed last night and now cleaning up old wiring from the cab radio, Sirius radio, and trailer controller. Whoever installed it was sloppy

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Piece of 4" pipe and a hose clamp will attach that 6637 filter. Only problem with those is sucking hot air from under the hood. I've had no luck finding a Ford severe duty air box upgrade for your truck.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Piece of 4" pipe and a hose clamp will attach that 6637 filter. Only problem with those is sucking hot air from under the hood. I've had no luck finding a Ford severe duty air box upgrade for your truck.
The elusive severe duty box.
I think the K&N cold air he has is pretty good, easiest air path , if designed correct by Ford. The 6637 is a snug fit.
Motorcraft seems to be the oil filter of choice, clean fuel,full n fresh oil = happy 7.3.
I installed a Edge Insight monitor to watch vitals and a PHP Hydra chip..
The Edge Programmer is rumored as having bad effects on E40d's.
With PHP I picked 7 tunes ,25,45 and 60 HP towing tunes as well as stock,80 HP performance tune and a Hush tune that quiets it down so maybe the drive through attendant can hear you.
If you haven't figured it out yet, I Like this Truck.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Thanks for the ideas for the filters. I don't like wet filters. I've been chasing an oil leak and found a oil barrel plug leaking in the head behind the alternator. Got it fixed last night and now cleaning up old wiring from the cab radio, Sirius radio, and trailer controller. Whoever installed it was sloppy
I had a weeping fuel leak that puddled in the valley,the one you can't see with that factory cover. It was a filter pressure related sending unit that is a idiot light type deal,if you keep up on maintanace you don't need it. Mine got a brass plug.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Now the honeymoon is over.. This truck has some kind of archaic security system which requires a small key fob remote to allow it to start. It's at least 8 years old, the remote is an "Automate" fob.
So I decided I wanted to remove it, and cannot find the damned module. I've been all over it.
It's not fancy, no door unlocks or horns, it just won't start if the fob isn't pushed.
And of course they installed it 1000 miles from here, at a place she can't remember, and no manual or receipt to give a hint of what the device is...

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
The joys of PO's. I got every invoice for whatever he had done,most all by the same shop. He was 65 when he bought it and if not for Parkinson he'd probably still have it. 190 K on the clock,but the most maintained vehicle I've ever bought.
Electrical is not my game so I needed to wire the camper up so I took it to my friend and told him if he didn't do it for me I'd for sure do a crapp job.
Good luck with your search.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Now the honeymoon is over.. This truck has some kind of archaic security system which requires a small key fob remote to allow it to start. It's at least 8 years old, the remote is an "Automate" fob.
So I decided I wanted to remove it, and cannot find the damned module. I've been all over it.
It's not fancy, no door unlocks or horns, it just won't start if the fob isn't pushed.
And of course they installed it 1000 miles from here, at a place she can't remember, and no manual or receipt to give a hint of what the device is...

Doesn't mean that it's actually there, but this Q&A page on the Automate link says it's under the dash, hopefully. Possibly call their customer support.

http://support.directed.com/FAQ/Default.aspx

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Funny how it's always something right... lol

drock

Probably a little "black box" zipped tied up under dash near the steering column. Maybe the fix is as easy as just unplugging it...if it's not hard wired in.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I may have figured it out.. I did some reading, found that Automate built a simple starter interrupt system which used a relay to replace the Ford relay which turns on fuel.
I check the fuse/relay box and found an odd (non Ford) relay and replaced it with a spare that was in the spare slot, and it starts now without the key fob. And the "wait to start" light for the glow plugs seems to work right again.
I called Automate earlier today, and finally got through to a human with an accent. I told the guy I needed help figuring out what type security was on this vehicle. His canned response was to take it to a installer, "you'll disable the vehicle if you work on it yourself blah blah blah". No help from them, their customer support was worse than bad.. lol

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Might be a good one to use when leaving the truck unattended in the out back..

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I mounted the mirrors I got at the wrecking yard. The stock with the extensions didn't work very well with the camper. These came of a '90's ford van.

Attachments

• 20170724_161313.jpg
    20170724_161313.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170724_161237.jpg
    20170724_161237.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 28
  • 20170724_161325.jpg
    20170724_161325.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
I mounted the mirrors I got at the wrecking yard. The stock with the extensions didn't work very well with the camper. These came of a '90's ford van.

those look great on there. I'll have to watch for some if I make it to a wrecking yard.
I'm okay with the factory mirrors for now. I'm still working the bugs out of my truck.

OP
OP
Wyflyer

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Last weekend we drove this truck up to Cheyenne and back, about a 200 mile round trip. As it warmed up it started making odd road noises and rattles in the firewall, and a growling every time the truck made a right turn at a corner or highway curve. I decided it must have bad wheel bearings.
This week we took it in for emissions testing but it failed the 1st Colorado emissions test, primarily due to the truck having a 4" exhaust with catalytic converter removed. Also failed opacity at higher throttle settings. So I took it to a muffler shop and they found this mess on the turbo downpipe.
We replaced it with a new 3" downpipe and aftermarket catalytic converter, 3" all the way into the existing 4" muffler and tailpipe. The muffler guy said exhaust leaks will cause emissions fail.
This exhaust repair eliminated a bunch of excess floor heat, the floorboard rattles and right turn grinding noises. I reckon when the body leaned it was rubbing the firewall causing all the noises.
Now I know why they had laid heat blankets on top of the carpet on the center floorboard hump.
Dammit why can't they do things right?

Katy is taking it in today for the emissions retest. I told to see if they'd put a load on it while it's on the dyno

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 36

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Wow! Just think someone paid for that! I realize you had to pay it again but at least your not having to chase problems.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Always got to be something don't it sir.....

Last weekend we drove this truck up to Cheyenne and back, about a 200 mile round trip. As it warmed up it started making odd road noises and rattles in the firewall, and a growling every time the truck made a right turn at a corner or highway curve. I decided it must have bad wheel bearings.
This week we took it in for emissions testing but it failed the 1st Colorado emissions test, primarily due to the truck having a 4" exhaust with catalytic converter removed. Also failed opacity at higher throttle settings. So I took it to a muffler shop and they found this mess on the turbo downpipe.
We replaced it with a new 3" downpipe and aftermarket catalytic converter, 3" all the way into the existing 4" muffler and tailpipe. The muffler guy said exhaust leaks will cause emissions fail.
This exhaust repair eliminated a bunch of excess floor heat, the floorboard rattles and right turn grinding noises. I reckon when the body leaned it was rubbing the firewall causing all the noises.
Now I know why they had laid heat blankets on top of the carpet on the center floorboard hump.
Dammit why can't they do things right?

Katy is taking it in today for the emissions retest. I told to see if they'd put a load on it while it's on the dyno