• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

8 lug Ford 9 inch?

mountaincat68

Hey everyone,

I am currently in the planing stages of my 66 bronco build and I have a question. My buddy has a HP D44 out of a 79 F-250 that he is going to give me, so I plan on narrowing that and putting it under the bronco, I would like to keep the heavy duty disk brakes from the F-250 but I don't want to run two different sets of wheels. So my question is, is there any way to make my 9 in rear a 8 lug pattern? I am not afraid of some custom work to the axle I will already have to put the big bearing ends on.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Hey everyone,

I am currently in the planing stages of my 66 bronco build and I have a question. My buddy has a HP D44 out of a 79 F-250 that he is going to give me, so I plan on narrowing that and putting it under the bronco, I would like to keep the heavy duty disk brakes from the F-250 but I don't want to run two different sets of wheels. So my question is, is there any way to make my 9 in rear a 8 lug pattern? I am not afraid of some custom work to the axle I will already have to put the big bearing ends on.

I was not able to find a way when I did the 60 in mine. I talked with Currie and Dutchman and both said no.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't see why you couldn't do it like a 609 hybrid. Get some spindels and brakes from a full floater then get the custom axles to span the gap.

Semi floating 8 lug would be harder. I see no reason they could not do an 8 lug axle, but getting brakes could be chalanging. Probably the best bet if you could pull that off would be 8 lug rotors and then rig your own caliper bracket, and loose the park brake at the same time most likely.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
Ford made a an 8 lug 8.8 axle and it was not a FF axle! I have seen them with my own eyes. Came in the light duty F250 4x4 trucks and may have been in some 4x2 trucks. I've only seen them in the 4x4 trucks. Mid 80's or some where around there.

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
Ford made a an 8 lug 8.8 axle and it was not a FF axle! I have seen them with my own eyes. Came in the light duty F250 4x4 trucks and may have been in some 4x2 trucks. I've only seen them in the 4x4 trucks. Mid 80's or some where around there.

I've seen them too. Also seen SF D60's which are 8 lug.

The only problem I can see with a SF 9" with 8 lugs would be brakes. You would have to do some sort of disc conversion. Stock drums are not large enough to accept the large flange of the 8 lug axle.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
No one will make you a SF 9 lug 9 inch axle.

You could cut off the spindles from a dana 60. 70 or 14 bolt and weld them on the 9 inch.
But then, why not just swap the whole rear axle under...

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
i agree with that. but if your going biger axle in the back i would use a 14 bolt i heir there stronger then a 70 and the disc brake conversion is super super easy.

bludorbronc

Dare to be differant,cut the ends of the nine inch and weld on the 70 spindles,all ready 35 spline,buy the nodular center,daytona support, disc brake kit,shorten and respline the axles,don't forget to weld on the back brace for stength,when you cut housing,figure so both axles are same length. Now you have more ground clearance,lighter,and way expensive.And you can say I did it my way.

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
No one will make you a SF 9 lug 9 inch axle.

You could cut off the spindles from a dana 60. 70 or 14 bolt and weld them on the 9 inch.

I dont really have any thing to add to this other than I've never, NEVER seen a 9 lug axle. ;D

(I know it was a typo....just ribbin ya!!)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I dont really have any thing to add to this other than I've never, NEVER seen a 9 lug axle. ;D

(I know it was a typo....just ribbin ya!!)

But I have seen a Ford with a 7 lug wheels. Talk about a head scratching bastard. Light duty F250 in the late 90's. They continue the styling to this day with the 7 lug hubcaps (go look at the hubcaps on a new econoline!)

mr.n

I see no reason they could not do an 8 lug axle, but getting brakes could be chalanging.
The flange is the biggest issue.

A few years ago I called every axle manufacturer I could find. Never did find one that could make this axle if they wanted to. Mosser said they may have back in the day, but wouldn't today.

I've some ideas, but couldn't a bearing to fit.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV

Agreed. Save yourself the time and find a 14 Bolt, D70, or 10.25" Sterling...in that respective order.

OP
OP
M

mountaincat68

thanks alot guys, I guess I am stuck with either a new axle in the rear or convert my front to 5 lug.

How were the full floating d60s in the back of a 79 f250 I think my buddy has one of those too?

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) You can have the front redrilled to 5 and use your stock wheels. Find a good machine shop and go for it good luck.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
thanks alot guys, I guess I am stuck with either a new axle in the rear or convert my front to 5 lug.

How were the full floating d60s in the back of a 79 f250 I think my buddy has one of those too?
They are good axles, but are 30 spline axles, to fit a 35 spline you need to bore out the spindles.

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
My hydroboost and chebby disc conversion locks up 35's easy, I susepct 37's would also be clamped down nicely. Don't know about rotor and pad longevity but I don't think the F-250 dual pistons are necessary if you are going 37's or less...

So 5x5.5 1/2 ton outers should work ok and let you keep the 9". Not like the F250 D44 wheel bearings or axle shafts are bigger either.