• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Soft top

Mcl

In that it says:

In common usage, as per Merriam-Webster, "first world" now typically refers to "the highly developed industrialized nations often considered the westernized countries of the world".

Lots of phrases get defined through "common usage." That means that they're only valid phrases because they've been used a lot, not because they were "correct."

I agree many words change meaning as common usage changes. I usually don't explain my posts to any great degree online as I usually like to stay out of back and forth discussions that go nowhere. The point I was trying to make is the original usage of the term first world didn't mean Europe.

Spartan76

That makes the BC top a non-starter for me. If I didn't want a convertible I wouldn't have removed my hard top. Might be great for some people, but not for me.

I know you didn't coin that phrase, but it has always struck me as wrong. We live in the New World (the Old World being Europe). The 3rd World is what has started to develop after the first 2. So we should be dismissing our problems as New World, or possibly 2nd world problems. Europe (the 1st world) has different ones.

The original poster asked about soft tops. Not convertible tops.

I guess if you are referring to the development of the world chronologically, I would agree.

It is hard to get a feel for tone in a post, particularly with someone I don’t know. So I’m going to assume it wasn’t your intent, but your entire reply struck me a little sideways and entirely useless to the topic of the thread.

Nothing Special

The original poster asked about soft tops. Not convertible tops.

I guess if you are referring to the development of the world chronologically, I would agree.

It is hard to get a feel for tone in a post, particularly with someone I don’t know. So I’m going to assume it wasn’t your intent, but your entire reply struck me a little sideways and entirely useless to the topic of the thread.

Sorry, no ill intent on my part. In the first part of my post I was only pointing out that if someone wanted a convertible top (which is almost, but not quite synonymous with "soft top" in most of my experience), then a soft top that people like because they can mount a roof rack on it might not be the hot ticket. Just as if you want a soft top that can take a roof rack, or that seals up really well, that a convertible top might not be for you.

On the "1st world" thing, I know that was off topic. Sorry, I just thought it was an amusing observation. But I'm an engineer, so my idea of what is funny doesn't always match that of real people.

matts460

I want chime in and ask... can you use the factory wiper motor cover with the Bestop? I have a 77.

Nothing Special

I want chime in and ask... can you use the factory wiper motor cover with the Bestop? I have a 77.

That's what I'm running on my '71. I did smooth out the edges of the cover a little because it seemed like it would cut the fabric. But no issues fitting.

Spartan76

Sorry, no ill intent on my part. In the first part of my post I was only pointing out that if someone wanted a convertible top (which is almost, but not quite synonymous with "soft top" in most of my experience), then a soft top that people like because they can mount a roof rack on it might not be the hot ticket. Just as if you want a soft top that can take a roof rack, or that seals up really well, that a convertible top might not be for you.

On the "1st world" thing, I know that was off topic. Sorry, I just thought it was an amusing observation. But I'm an engineer, so my idea of what is funny doesn't always match that of real people.

No ill will here. I must’ve been in a rotten mood when I read it. I saw you’re an engineer and it all made sense.😂 thanks for the reply.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
If Soft Top and not convertible top is the ticket, then I agree with Spartan76 100%. Buddy of mine has it on his truck. Outstanding soft top. Contemplating one for my truck.

Jc.av8r

Anyone try Tbp softies?

I assume TBP you mean Tom's. Their soft top is the Bestop soft top. It's good. I would decide between that and Rampage depending on reviews.

I will go with Rampage because I don't like how the Bestop is taller in the center.

Bronco4x4

If I'm not mistaken, my friend told me that the Bestop he had was a pain to attach at the windshield each time. I have a Kayline and it uses a metal edge that fits into a track making it quick and easy. I believe the Kayline is the same way. Also, if you were not aware, it appears the Rampage and Bestop can only be ordered with tinted windows.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I assume TBP you mean Tom's. Their soft top is the Bestop soft top. It's good. I would decide between that and Rampage depending on reviews.

I will go with Rampage because I don't like how the Bestop is taller in the center.

agree Rampage or Bestop....

have to drop the bestop hoops in smaller garage to fit in or I did anyway

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Well I have to throw in my .02 on this one! For me it is the Rampage because it looks the best on the Bronco I think. However, having said that I think that it could be improved ALOT but it is still the top choice for me! ;D

Jc.av8r

Well I have to throw in my .02 on this one! For me it is the Rampage because it looks the best on the Bronco I think. However, having said that I think that it could be improved ALOT but it is still the top choice for me! ;D

Yeah, I am torn.

Bestop looks much easier to install, but Rampage looks better and seems to be a slightly better quality in the end.

CA Monkey

Loc.
Tracy
I think the new rampage looks better. It doesn't have the bows showing through as bad as the older tops. My buddies didn't even realize it was a soft top at first... Sold my older soft top to my buddy.

bronco-in-the-snow.jpg

20180311_141328.jpg

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
I bought and installed a Rampage,it's nice, but it was difficult to install,and the section around the doors could've been better. I still have to disconnect the main hoop and two side bows to fit it in my garage. Overall I would buy it again,it's decent for the price. Jim ;)

Last edited:

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Park it outside every time it's raining or drop the top in the rain?

Or buy a different top?