• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

292 Y block

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good info....

The Y-block wasn't that great of an engine. Ford's first attemp at an overhead valve V8. Notourious for valvetrain issues if run hard. Mushroom tappet lifters, you have to put the lifters in before the cam. Even the timing chain is odd, you line up the timing marks to the two odd colored links that are 12 links apart. Stacked intake ports. Only the 312 got a crank damper.

I have one in a boat. 256" with the upgrade to make it 150HP. Only reason it is there is because of originality and it is already there and running.

I have also owned a 223 straight six. Which is pretty much a 6-cylinder version of a Y-block. Not that great of an engine. Both of mine had upgraded oiling done to them, and they still had wear issues. I have even seen a 223 swapped into a Bronco. Mated to the stock 3-speed. That was a bastard.

Cars got traditional engine mounting, 2 engine mounts and a transmission mount just in front of the driveshaft. Trucks got the two mounts on the bellhousing and a single under the crank pulley. So there would be fabbing a couple of crossmemers to install a different style drivetrain. At this point you could put just abou anything in. Watch oil pan clearance to the front axle.

TNcoupe

Oh yeah...the Y block in my T Bird had a motor mount under the balancer and two rods that went to the frame from exhaust manifolds. Best thing to do with a Y block is make a table out of em.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Hey y'all now that '64 F100 we had we I was a yun feller was tuff solid ole work horse. Had a positive traction rear. We worked the hayle out of it. That 292 sang all day;)

renrag

Loc.
Eastern Iowa
Oh yeah...the Y block in my T Bird had a motor mount under the balancer and two rods that went to the frame from exhaust manifolds. Best thing to do with a Y block is make a table out of em.

This lack of Y-block love is killing me. Been around them all my life. By today's standards, they are not great. However, the OP was gunning for period correct. Dad bought his '55 Bird in 1960, and my first 'car' was a 1953 F100(in the late 80's). Both are still here. Last winter, I pulled out the 351 that was in the truck since I bought it, and stabbed in an extra 292 we had around after Dad hopped up a 312 for his Bird. Long story shorter, when I open the hood now, I talk to a LOT more folks. If all we were after was fast and reliable, Mod motor, or LS everything. Meh, that is not for me.

Unfortunately for the original questioner, yeah, you will have to make motor mounts, and grab a trans to go with whatever engine you choose. I personally, hope you find a Y-block.

BTW, I made a table out of a 289....

Attachments

• 20170207_150744.jpg
    20170207_150744.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20160512_172219.jpg
    20160512_172219.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Everyone does tables, I made a floor lamp out of a V8. Nice motor. Deep skirt block, 4-bolt mains, crossbolted as well. Forged crank with induction hardened journals. 11:1 compression. Nice 400HP mill. Last vehicle it was fitted in was a Chris Craft boat.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Around here everyone who had the 53 to 56 ford f100's trucks wanted a 312 to put in them...In the day period..
... But of course later in life ..390 no 427 no 428 no 429s no 460's .
Seem um all. & Love them all.