• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rough rider?

Ict57

I brought home another reason for my wife to hate me. Found a '75 ranger that's cut and seems to have stock suspension with 32" tires.

Similarly, I have a '66 roadster with original 170 and 29" tires, stock suspension.

The new 75 rides like a full out tank, rough as heck over every little bump. Inversely the roadster rides fairly well. I'm semi-new to old trucks with big tires but this surprised me.

My question: I don't think it's hitting anything (i.e., tires to front fender, diff housing to frame) but can't figure why it rides so crazy rough. Any ideas why the difference is so pronounced?

Ps-- plan is to swap some new 2.5" TBP suspension into it with new shocks, but figured I'd see if I was missing anything first.

OP
OP
I

Ict57

00q0q_2IVpxE3leLT_1200x900.jpg

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Is it really a stock suspension or does it have add-a-leafs?
Those often deserve their reputation for a rough ride.

OP
OP
I

Ict57

Good point. They're 9-pack vs 5-pack in the 66. suspect that's most of the delta. Though it's probably better for carrying 12 people in the back. Which doesn't much matter.

The new set I have is 6-pack. Hope it'll ride like a truck vs tractor...

OP
OP
I

Ict57

Ps--bronco is brand new (to me). And yes I've now flipped the front bumper back to normal. Not sure exactly why that was done but guess we've all seen worse.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Ps--bronco is brand new (to me). And yes I've now flipped the front bumper back to normal. Not sure exactly why that was done but guess we've all seen worse.

I have long since given up asking why a Previous Owner did something to my Bronco.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A 9-pack would indicate a more modern spring, that is usually designed for a better ride than the stock old ones. But yours may indeed have been modified, or could just be old and sagged a bit to the point it's binding.
But there are other things that can come into play too.

1. Tire load rating.
2. Tire pressures (almost never use the full max-rated pressures)
3. Shock absorber type and condition. (hugely important!)
4. Spring condition. (also hugely important)
5. Spring design or modifications.
6. Something physically wrong with any of the above, or binding from improper installation or worn out parts.

Time to crawl around underneath if you fee like it. To see what's going on and maybe take some pics for us to check out as well.

Good luck. Don't want the wife to be a hater so soon!

Paul

OP
OP
I

Ict57

Thanks all.

Nothing else seems too far off, tires are 'c' and at 30 psi. Sure the shocks are shot but no binding.

Anyway I yanked the new springs off another junk truck I have laying around (PO spent $1200 on shocks springs etc then broke both studs off the rear shock mount....and sold the truck.

Anyway I'll swap out those this week and see how it improves. Then on to disks...

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...I'M Going to subscribe to this so I can follower it along some what .. & OF Course I've got to add my 2 BITS.
... My Running Buddys 66 Bronco has 33x1050s on it. Big Lugs. & It looks like it should ride like a tank. But it'll run 70 down the hwy. & IT
s rather comfortable to ride in town in..
....... But his new ButterFinger Bronco a 1972ish .. I think .. It's sweet & nice Smaller tires & The previous owner replaced the back spring on it ..TO MAKE IT RIDE BETTER ...
.......'' I GOT THE OLD SPRINGS '' That P.O. said rode too rough .. I got them to put into my Farm Diesel Bronco that always has a load in it.
... Brother AL Says the That his new BUTTER FINGER still rides harsher than his 66 ..
........... SO This Rear Spring deal is a Hard thing to control.
...... I'll say that since there ar NO STANDARDS .. each MFG. CAN name his spring anything he wants to call them.
....... I broke a rear spring last summer hauling hay. I replaced it with a used spring from an old frame I have setting in the pasture. . Both looked the same . MY BRONCO now leans to the side of the new spring from the Donner.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Good plan.. Make it happen

Thanks all.

Nothing else seems too far off, tires are 'c' and at 30 psi. Sure the shocks are shot but no binding.

Anyway I yanked the new springs off another junk truck I have laying around (PO spent $1200 on shocks springs etc then broke both studs off the rear shock mount....and sold the truck.

Anyway I'll swap out those this week and see how it improves. Then on to disks...

65 mustang

I recently went to deavers springs and bilstines.. soo happy over my stock setup with add a leaves. running 32 10.5x 15 swampers

OP
OP
I

Ict57

Interesting. I'm hoping this will make the difference and at the right cost.

I know it won't ride like my tundra but hoping for an improvement. Tires are next in line...

OP
OP
I

Ict57

Finally made it out last night and it took way too long. Had to cut out a few 'vintage' bolts off. That always sucks.

Comments:
1-holy hell it sits different. The 2.5" lift (back only right now so it raised up 3-4 inches and it sits like a 1972 charger in 1973. Helluva rake. I'll swap the front springs once I get the goodies on Friday from TBP. Assume springs will settle a bit and level out when front springs go on. Anyway the 32" tires now look like they belong on a Honda. No there's not a Body lift.

2-ride is better, but I'm pretty sure front suspension and tires are heavily to blame also. 1980's style 'big o' all terrains look pretty rough. Picking up some new wheels tomorrow and hope to have it on post 1987 tires next week. Found some 17" steel wheels working toward drivability

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
It can take awhile for leaf packs to settle unless you help them along. After you get the front on weight down the back for a few days.

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
Finally made it out last night and it took way too long. Had to cut out a few 'vintage' bolts off. That always sucks.

Comments:
1-holy hell it sits different. The 2.5" lift (back only right now so it raised up 3-4 inches and it sits like a 1972 charger in 1973. Helluva rake. I'll swap the front springs once I get the goodies on Friday from TBP. Assume springs will settle a bit and level out when front springs go on. Anyway the 32" tires now look like they belong on a Honda. No there's not a Body lift.

2-ride is better, but I'm pretty sure front suspension and tires are heavily to blame also. 1980's style 'big o' all terrains look pretty rough. Picking up some new wheels tomorrow and hope to have it on post 1987 tires next week. Found some 17" steel wheels working toward drivability

I was right there with you. Got a "stock" suspension from WH, and the rake was (and still is) surprising. I wound up adding 1" deaver coils to the front just to even it out some. Everyone told me to add some weight to the back, take it wheeling a bit, and it'll settle out. It's been 5 years. Glad I put the 1" coils in the front.

OP
OP
I

Ict57

Made my way and swapped front springs c- and radius arm bushings etc and it's a different ride. Now sits about 1.5" higher overall but looks proper and rides like a Lexus, relatively speaking (one with 92" WB on ancient 33" tires that rattles like crazy).

I was hoping this would fix the lean to passenger side on front (about 3/4" lower) but no luck. Not sure what that's about but one thing at a time.

Now I'm on to brake swaps while an old 23 gallon tank is being cleaned.