• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pebbles: 1 Family Mostly Stock 68 Build

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
great posting and the pix are also great like the mini bike I see a blast cabinet in the back ground looks like it was fabbed from a oil drum ,is it a kit or diy ,ive been looking for one and that looks as easy as can be ,keep moving forward

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Engine removal day. I had help from both my Dad and my son while the ladies fixed us lunch. What a great feeling to work on it with them!! I am a lucky guy and will always remember the day. I did want to remove the exhaust manifolds first, but determined I needed a little more elbow room due to the stuck bolts. The 289 is now on Grandpa's engine stand. I think he was proud on this day too. I threw in one of his vacation pictures which some may have seem before in the vintage pics thread. If interested you can check my gallery for more vacation photos with the Bronco.

So neat to see the photos of the Bronco with your grandfather, and the current 3 generation restoration team. These are days y'all will treasure over the years. Thanks for taking us along on your build, and keep the pics, story and progress coming!

OP
OP
chuckyb

chuckyb

Contributor
http://www.barrelblaster.comThanks for the encouragement!! I picked up the blast cabinet at Carlisle many years back, it works great and I would highly recommend. Here is the vendor that I bought it from.

OP
OP
chuckyb

chuckyb

Contributor
It has been a bit more slow going as of late than I would like but I do have the front clip braced. Seeing pictures of the hack job I did on this, Nick recommended that I at least brace it up for transportation. I will also take some pictures of the rear bed area where i am bracing across the rear bed from wheel well to wheel well. I have obviously gotten to the point where I need to put away the sawzall and cutting wheel before I inflict more damage.

Attachments

• IMG_9556.jpg
    IMG_9556.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9557.jpg
    IMG_9557.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_9558.jpg
    IMG_9558.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_9560.jpg
    IMG_9560.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_9561.jpg
    IMG_9561.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_9563.jpg
    IMG_9563.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 97
OP
OP
chuckyb

chuckyb

Contributor
I've got the back part of the tub braced for travel and removal from the frame. I am hoping that the roof, quarters and tail light panels are salvageable. All other replacement panels have now been purchased utilizing a variety of our excellent suppliers. I have purchased an AMK fastener kit which seems really nice and have new brackets for the fenders, quarters etc. For most of the obscure hardware that does not come with the kit, I am blasting the original hardware so that it can be zinc plated. I am going to check out a local fastener place for replacement hardware for some exterior stuff such as spare tire carrier and ranch hand bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_9858.jpg
    IMG_9858.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9857.jpg
    IMG_9857.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_9856.jpg
    IMG_9856.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 110

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Great pics bud...

Engine removal day. I had help from both my Dad and my son while the ladies fixed us lunch. What a great feeling to work on it with them!! I am a lucky guy and will always remember the day. I did want to remove the exhaust manifolds first, but determined I needed a little more elbow room due to the stuck bolts. The 289 is now on Grandpa's engine stand. I think he was proud on this day too. I threw in one of his vacation pictures which some may have seem before in the vintage pics thread. If interested you can check my gallery for more vacation photos with the Bronco.

Lundski

It has been a bit more slow going as of late than I would like but I do have the front clip braced. Seeing pictures of the hack job I did on this, Nick recommended that I at least brace it up for transportation. I will also take some pictures of the rear bed area where i am bracing across the rear bed from wheel well to wheel well. I have obviously gotten to the point where I need to put away the sawzall and cutting wheel before I inflict more damage.

Looks like you did a good job bracing it up - seeing these braces gave me some good ideas

OP
OP
chuckyb

chuckyb

Contributor
I have been keeping myself busy with rehabbing some parts that will be utilized in the rebuild. Here I have attached some pictures of the door internals. Not very exciting pictures but all work that needs to be done, and work that can be done in 30-60 minute increments which is about all the garage time I can manage these days. The process has been either to clean by soaking with Purple Power for the greasy items, or media blasting for rusty items. Once prepped, paint with POR-15 or spray paint as needed. I have thought about investing in a little parts washer, but a metal bucket and Purple Power are getting me by for now.

Attachments

• IMG_9884.jpg
    IMG_9884.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_9890.jpg
    IMG_9890.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9894.jpg
    IMG_9894.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 116

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After seeing the pictures, i like the Pebble Beige even more.

Great work so far, keep it up.

Love the Big Dawg in the back too,

OP
OP
chuckyb

chuckyb

Contributor
Along with media blasting hardware, I have started to try to get the vent window and side window glass separated from the vent frames and channel supports. The vent frames I would like to salvage but the channel supports are being replaced. I checked out many threads here on these topics. I am soaking these in hot soapy water which I have replaced a couple days in a row. They all seem to be gradually getting looser. Special care being taken to keep the vintage decal out of the water as I want to keep it. Also posting a screenshot of a Pebble Beige Bronco that I found online somewhere. This is pretty much exactly my vision for my project except for a few items. I don't know who the owner is but would like to give credit. Also just pulled the trigger on a one piece Dynacorn floor assembly. Had been holding off but noticed prices going up.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpg
    IMG_0132.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 111

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
I have been keeping myself busy with rehabbing some parts that will be utilized in the rebuild. Here I have attached some pictures of the door internals. Not very exciting pictures but all work that needs to be done, and work that can be done in 30-60 minute increments which is about all the garage time I can manage these days. The process has been either to clean by soaking with Purple Power for the greasy items, or media blasting for rusty items. Once prepped, paint with POR-15 or spray paint as needed. I have thought about investing in a little parts washer, but a metal bucket and Purple Power are getting me by for now.

Nice job, those little parts add up if you have to buy them!

rydog1130

Bronco Guru
maybe u could seal that sticker off w/ tape and saran wrap to keep it from getting messed up? just a thought

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I'm curious if you were able to go back and search out the stamped VIN on the frame? I think it would be worth your while if you can find either the front or rear locations. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
chuckyb

chuckyb

Contributor
Thanks guys! I appreciate the encouragement, it is going way more slowly than I like but just taking it bit by bit. Ryan - good idea on the sticker, I will do that to protect it. Also, have been checking out your threads as I just picked up a OEM PS set up. Matt - I was able to find the front VIN. It is a match,and I am glad it is as DMV came out and looked for it prior to giving me the inoperable vehicle title. Looking forward to finding the back one and I remember your advise about protecting the VIN stamps while blasting and painting.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Matt - I was able to find the front VIN. It is a match,and I am glad it is as DMV came out and looked for it prior to giving me the inoperable vehicle title. Looking forward to finding the back one and I remember your advise about protecting the VIN stamps while blasting and painting.

So were you able to get ur DMV to re-evaluate your title since you found ur vin? I hope you get a legit and clean title instead of some salvage or other kind of title.