• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

72 bronco top has never been off should it stay like that?

Bronco 4 life

Loc.
Yakima
So I’m a long time lurker of the site and finally signed up a while ago and this is my first post.. some back ground I bought a 72 bronco (late 71 build date ) this spring I am the 3rd owner and the top has never been off and I am have some internal conflict about taking it off next spring..

it’s not completely stock but looks like a 70s time capsule rear fender are cut and it has a 351 Cleveland and has house carpet all throughout (I know not good for the floor boards ) other than that it’s stock has the original tire and wheel for the spare and did I mention I am the 3r person to own it lol ..

So what do you guys think??

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site!! There is a lot of info here as you know from lurking around. As for the top I say do as you wish , mine didn't come with a top when I bought it so I bought one for the cooler and rainy weather.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Driving around with the top off on a sunny day is one of life’s great pleasures! I wouldn’t have any qualms about taking it off. Get new seals before you take it off, though, as the old ones are probably shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Driving around with the top off on a sunny day is one of life’s great pleasures! I wouldn’t have any qualms about taking it off. Get new seals before you take it off, though, as the old ones are probably shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep,definitely buy new seals first. Then take that sucker off already, I'm sure the seals are shot anyways. Good luck. ;)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Thats the same as not taking it offroad and using 4wd to take you to explore wonderful places you can't see from the mall parking lot. Its a Bronco let the horses run free and breathe the fresh air. Your missing the best point of having a Bronco.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Take it off. And from the sound of it even though you are the third owner it does not sound over the top original. If it was all original with 20,000 miles kept in grandpas garage only used for driving to church still had the original tires on it then maybe I would think twice! Have fun with the top off!

OP
OP
Bronco 4 life

Bronco 4 life

Loc.
Yakima
Thanks guys that’s what I wanted to hear!! I know it’s not a complete barn find original but is in way better condition and more original than when I bought my 74 when I was 16 and I loved spring and summer with the top off just needed to hear from fellow bronco people!!!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If they wanted it to be left on there would be welds instead of bolts. Unless you're in the frosty cold time to start saving for a soft top. So much nicer without the top.

chuckyb

Contributor
Take off the hard top but don’t get rid of it. There are good options for garage hoists to keep it out of the way.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Amen.. Take the top off, drive that sucker and enjoy

I'd WAIT till spring though :)

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Take off the hard top but don’t get rid of it. There are good options for garage hoists to keep it out of the way.

Definitely keep.. Do a search in chat on top storage.. Lots of neat ideas

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Definitely take it off and get new seals. Make sure your windshield is locked down good and tight. Make sure you have a few friends or a hoist to put it on and off. It's heavier than you think! Have fun! - jim

chuck1022

Contributor
TAKE THE TOP OFF. I took mine off 2 years ago....never pit it back on.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check your top seals in the door opening, where the top and the windshield meet. if the corner of the seal is cut between the windshield frame and the top, the top has been off before.

OP
OP
Bronco 4 life

Bronco 4 life

Loc.
Yakima
Check your top seals in the door opening, where the top and the windshield meet. if the corner of the seal is cut between the windshield frame and the top, the top has been off before.

Yup it is solid never been cut and looks original when the PO told me he was the second owner and the top had never beeen off that’s the first place I looked lol

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I'm scared to take mine off, it may be all that's holding it together lol

JD

Last edited:

price209

Loc.
Folsom
They were built to be able to take it off, use it like it was intended, replace the seals like stated above, and enjoy your ride.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have a '68 and a '73 that I'd bet just about anything the tops have never been off of. I've owned the '68 since '06 and have never been able to bring myself to take the top off of it. The '73 I've owned since '09 and same thing. It's such an odd thing knowing the tops have never been off that it almost seems blasphemous to be the first one to take them off after all these decades.

I can see where the OP is coming from. However, I have other Broncos I've taken the tops off of, so I've got extras and can leave the two as time capsules. If I just had the two, I'd guess the top would be coming off of one of them at some point.