• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 adapter housing Questions

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why do the C4 Adapter sold from Bronco graveyard require that The spud shaft bearing from your manual intermediate housing be used? In the original housing there is nothing. It just goes over the tail shaft and you bolt it to the transmission then you bolt your Dana 20 to it….

“The adapters we manufacture will normally require the installation of new output shaft.”

So is the output shaft that they offer the same as a stock output shaft or is the length different?

TRANSMISSION INFO: This 3 speed transmission was used in Ford trucks during the years of 1964 to 1981. We recommend obtaining a 1970 & newer transmission for conversions. The transmission case length is 11.180" and with the bell housing measures 17.00". This transmission was used on small block Ford engines. The adapters we manufacture will normally require the installation of new output shaft. The 1st gear ratio is 2.46:1; 2nd 1.46:1; and a 1.1 3rd gear ratio.

KIT INFO: This kit includes transmission main shaft, intermediate housing and bearing retainer. This will adapt any ford C-4 automatic transmission. The spud shaft bearing from your manual intermediate housing must be used.
We recommend using the largest external cooler available for maximum transmission life. The new Adapter will bolt directly to the stock cross member. This kit does not require changing the front or rear drive shafts.
California sales tax added to California orders

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
(1) Why do the C4 Adapter sold from Bronco graveyard require that The spud shaft bearing from your manual intermediate housing be used? (2) In the original housing there is nothing. It just goes over the tail shaft and you bolt it to the transmission then you bolt your Dana 20 to it….

“The adapters we manufacture will normally require the installation of new output shaft.”

(3) So is the output shaft that they offer the same as a stock output shaft or is the length different?

TRANSMISSION INFO: This 3 speed transmission was used in Ford trucks during the years of 1964 to 1981. We recommend obtaining a 1970 & newer transmission for conversions. The transmission case length is 11.180" and with the bell housing measures 17.00". This transmission was used on small block Ford engines. The adapters we manufacture will normally require the installation of new output shaft. The 1st gear ratio is 2.46:1; 2nd 1.46:1; and a 1.1 3rd gear ratio.

KIT INFO: This kit includes transmission main shaft, intermediate housing and bearing retainer. This will adapt any ford C-4 automatic transmission. The spud shaft bearing from your manual intermediate housing must be used.
We recommend using the largest external cooler available for maximum transmission life. The new Adapter will bolt directly to the stock cross member. This kit does not require changing the front or rear drive shafts.
California sales tax added to California orders

(1) You have to have a bearing for the "spud" shaft. The same bearing is used for the A/T or M/T.

(2) That is not exactly accurate. All original early Bronco housings (adapters) have this bearing. With a manual 3 speed adapter the bearing retainer is built into the housing. With the C4 adapters the bearing retainer is a separate piece.

(3) The "output shaft" is included with the adapter. If you already have a BRONCO C4 there will be no need to change it. If you have a C4 from a 2WD vehicle you will use the one in the kit. On another note the "spud/intermediate" shaft needs to be correct for the A/T. It is shorter than the M/T version.

Good luck with the conversion.

Jim

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
(1) You have to have a bearing for the "spud" shaft. The same bearing is used for the A/T or M/T.

(2) That is not exactly accurate. All original early Bronco housings (adapters) have this bearing. With a manual 3 speed adapter the bearing retainer is built into the housing. With the C4 adapters the bearing retainer is a separate piece.

(3) The "output shaft" is included with the adapter. If you already have a BRONCO C4 there will be no need to change it. If you have a C4 from a 2WD vehicle you will use the one in the kit. On another note the "spud/intermediate" shaft needs to be correct for the A/T. It is shorter than the M/T version.

Jim

Thank you Jim for the information. I have one more question though. Is the output shaft the same for the adapter kit and an original adapter housing?

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Jim

Thank you Jim for the information. I have one more question though. Is the output shaft the same for the adapter kit and an original adapter housing?

I have An original adapter I am trying to sell. I don't want to sell it to someone if they can't get a main shaft that will work with it

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA

I have An original adapter I am trying to sell. I don't want to sell it to someone if they can't get a main shaft that will work with it

Yep, as long as by output shaft we are talking about the shaft coming out the back of the transmission (like the pic below) and not the "spud" shaft. Sometimes people will refer to the spud as the output shaft.

If you have a C4 adapter that looks like this then you have the basic parts someone would need to hook up a 2WD C4 to the Bronco Dana 20.

Jim

Attachments

• 1474_864_popup.jpg
    1474_864_popup.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 21

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
in addition to the picture you see to install those parts you need an o-ring for the aluminium tubular bearing adapter, a front and rear gasket for the adapter its self.

You cant replace the main shaft without disassembling the transmission which means you need a good rebuild kit to go through the tranny. if your Bronco stays on the street a flat stock tranny pan will do but if you go offroad then your looking to replace the tranny pan to the Bronco specific tranny pan, pick up tube and filter. If you go this route you will need a 1970 and later c4 tranny case as the earlier valve body has a different bolt pattern filter. Once you go Bronco specific tranny pan your now also dealing with a Bronco tranny pan fill dipstick tube and dipstick.

OP
OP
Stutsmo

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, as long as by output shaft we are talking about the shaft coming out the back of the transmission (like the pic below) and not the "spud" shaft. Sometimes people will refer to the spud as the output shaft.

If you have a C4 adapter that looks like this then you have the basic parts someone would need to hook up a 2WD C4 to the Bronco Dana 20.

Jim

Thanks for your help Jim. Because of it I just placed my first order from wh. I'm thankfull that you guys step in and help out when people need it. Jeff