• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horn button ground problem 74 bronco

snoddas

Hi,
Relay work, horn work but not with horn button only when use an extra ground cable to the horn relay and attach that cable to ground.

It even honk when I accidentally touch the passenger door vent window frame with that cable ;D

Took that cable at the surface the horn button should touch but it was no honk honk.

/Anders

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So it honks as soon as you ground the relay? Or do you ground it, then hit the horn button and it works?

If the former, then try grounding the steering column to the body. Maybe way it's bolted now just doesn't allow for a good ground.
Then again, perhaps it's just the old contact points in the turn signal switch.

You could that theory by taking the steering wheel off and grounding the little brass contact point. Maybe it's just some built up carbon on the top of it.

Paul

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

Thanks for the response Paul.

The horn button never work either way.

Used a long cabel from horn relay (horn switch contact) and try to make it honk. It honk everytime I hit a good ground but when I attach it to the points (which horn button make contact when push) nothing happens.

Shouldnt it work that way.

Horn relay gets power from lets say starter relay positive, the yellow-gren cable to horn.

The third contact from horn relay to horn button/switch Steering column (looks like blue-yellow trace).

Hotrodjohn

The horn button on 74 is a ground, problem is that the steering shaft is isolated from ground because its mounted in rubber.(even though the steering column itself is bolted to the tub). I had this problem on my 1975. You have to ground the steering shaft that steering wheel mounts to. The rag joint breaks the ground from the lower shaft unless you have the metal strip attached from lower shaft to steering wheel shaft. I just put a jumper wire from lower to upper steering shaft and it worked.

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

The horn button on 74 is a ground, problem is that the steering shaft is isolated from ground because its mounted in rubber.(even though the steering column itself is bolted to the tub). I had this problem on my 1975. You have to ground the steering shaft that steering wheel mounts to. The rag joint breaks the ground from the lower shaft unless you have the metal strip attached from lower shaft to steering wheel shaft. I just put a jumper wire from lower to upper steering shaft and it worked.

Okay, Thanks!
Its an under hood operation what I understand or? Over the steering coupler/rag joint.

Hotrodjohn

yes, I simply ran a short piece of wire from one side of the rag joint connecting bolt to the other. Ford originally had a strip of metal that attached from one side to the other.

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

yes, I simply ran a short piece of wire from one side of the rag joint connecting bolt to the other. Ford originally had a strip of metal that attached from one side to the other.

Awesome. Thanks for great answer.

Have a nice day,
Anders

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

Hi again,
Fix the ground as you mention got ground at the steering wheel but no honk when push the horn button (Ford half moln).

Took my long wire which I attach to the horn relay (horn switch terminal) and hit the steering wheel bolt and it honk. Also on every surface around but not on the two small brass points which are on small white plastic pieces.

Is the signal (blue and yellow tracer) wire broken, its rum between horn relay and horn switch (horn button)? Have that wire any terminal under the steering wheel?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You should only have one wire. Sounds like you have an early '74? Is there still a decal on the driver's door frame that says which month is was built in?
If not, we can tell by the VIN but it's more for curiosity at this point.

Does your steering column have the hazard lights/4-way flasher switch on the side of the steering column AND on the dashboard?

And most important, does the back of your steering wheel have two copper traces, or only a single one?
If it's a single, then you need either the later model turn signal switch, or an original early-'74 steering wheel. Unique to only the one year.

Paul

Hotrodjohn

If yours has the 3 prong horn relay by the starter solenoid all the horn button is doing is giving ground thereby triggering the 12v relay to power the horn. Is your horn button hooked up right? The horn button is simply making a ground between the wiring coming up to your steering wheel that goes to the little spring button that is pushing up against the back of the steering wheel to the center steering shaft. You may have continuity issue somewhere between relay up to your horn button.

BCH BRCO

Not to high jack this thread, but when I activate my turn signals either left or right my radio goes off momentarily then comes back on within a few seconds. Any ideas what causes this?

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

You should only have one wire. Sounds like you have an early '74? Is there still a decal on the driver's door frame that says which month is was built in?
If not, we can tell by the VIN but it's more for curiosity at this point.

Does your steering column have the hazard lights/4-way flasher switch on the side of the steering column AND on the dashboard?

And most important, does the back of your steering wheel have two copper traces, or only a single one?
If it's a single, then you need either the later model turn signal switch, or an original early-'74 steering wheel. Unique to only the one year.

Paul

I use an extra wire for testing only since the horn dont work. I attach it at same terminal at the starter relay as the blue/yellow wire (horn switch) is.

Yes it have the hazard on side of the steering column, not on the dash.

The horn plate have two copper traces.

If yours has the 3 prong horn relay by the starter solenoid all the horn button is doing is giving ground thereby triggering the 12v relay to power the horn. Is your horn button hooked up right? The horn button is simply making a ground between the wiring coming up to your steering wheel that goes to the little spring button that is pushing up against the back of the steering wheel to the center steering shaft. You may have continuity issue somewhere between relay up to your horn button.

Yes I have the 3 prong contact to relay.

Is that wire coming up under the steering wheel. Do anyone have a picture where the signal wire (looks like blue with yellow trace on my car) attach?

I suppose that I need to pull me steering wheel and take a look. Worst case route a new wire between where it attach to the starter relay.

Thanks guys!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not to high jack this thread, but when I activate my turn signals either left or right my radio goes off momentarily then comes back on within a few seconds. Any ideas what causes this?

Sorry BCH, not a clue. Yet...
Which Bronco is this? The '74 or the '66?
What type or radio? Factory, or add-on?

Normally not a problem to do a min-highjack, but in this case probably well worth starting your own thread on this one.

Paul

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

Removed the steering wheel.
Measure the little button/knob at the turn signal switch. No connection to the wiring to horn relay (blue with yellow tracer). Measure at the housing where the knob/button slides in and there I got connection with the wiring to horn relay. I assume something i broke in it.

Also try to connect the knob directly to ground but as I alteady understand no honk.

Will do some testing but think I need to buy the hole turning signal switch with wiring to get it work.

OP
OP
snoddas

snoddas

Finally got my horn working with the steering wheel horn button. Needed to massage the copper button/knob (at the turn signal switch) it Keep contact with the steering wheel. Its honk’in!
The half moon horn button is alittle bad aligned to the steering wheel but the horn work so... maybe I try to modify for better fit latter.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Congratulations! Been so long since I had to do that semi-regularly on my 2-post horn contacts, or heard anyone else mention it, that I totally forgot to mention it myself.
Good find.

If you didn't, and don't mind taking the wheel off one more time, I would apply some lubricant of some kind. Maybe some dry lube that's rated for electrical contacts, if there is such a thing?
I used to use electric grease, and even di-electric grease to help the contacts last longer. After a few sandings I was worried about them getting too thin and having to replace the switch altogether.

Since yours is a '74, post up a pic of your steering wheel sometime. Front and back.
You might have one of the 1-year only wheels that have the appearance of the old style, but the backside single horn trace of the relay type.

Thanks

Paul