• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is there a consensus on best carburetor?

dblupcobb

Loc.
Pensacola
I have changed my last accelerator pump on my piece o sh@$ Holley 625 cfm four barrel carb. I have heard in past from lots of people to switch to an Edelbrock and be done w/ it.

Is there a consensus out there on what the best carburetor combination to run on 302 EB is?

I have a 77 w/ 302 that i installed myself about 15 years ago. Motor has run well until last 5 years or so. I have chased all sorts of issues, but ultimately, the vehicle seems to bog a bit or load up when idling in gear. Dies intermittently when at traffic lights and has gone through multiple rebuild kits to keep the thing running like it should for short intervals. I know much of this can be attributed to ethanol, but there has to be some better solutions out there. I would love to go the EFI route, just don't have the dough or time for that big of a project right now.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Ford Autolite 4100

My second choice would be a Quadrajet (could be first choice if off-road is planned).

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Motorcraft 2100/2150 for 2bbl

X2 on Autolite 4100 for 4bbl

And X2 on Quadrajet if not going Motorcraft/Autolite.

I had an Edelbrock and while it did run decent it got terrible fuel economy and was always running rich. Had a lot of problems with heat soaking as well. Haven't played with a lot of Holleys, I have heard the 450-470 cfm carbs are pretty good.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I agree the Ford carbs are very good, but they haven't been made in over 40 years. Although not off-roading, on my 66 Mustang 289, I ditched a troublesome Holley because it decided to flood every couple of months. I got an Edelbrock 1403 and it is starting and running great. I do think the MPG can be improved, and on the Edelbrock website is a chart showing their recommendation to richen or lean out the carb. I just ordered a pair of metering rods to go 1 step leaner. Cost $12.99.
Good luck

Vincen

I too have an Edelbrock 1403 that was purchased to replace a 570 Holley Street Avenger. I could never get the SA tuned well and then both fuel bowls started leaking. The 1403 just seems to be much better suited for a very stock 1970 302.

tbratz

I have always run Holleys and have never had any issues. I have been running my 4-barrel on my Bronco since early 80's and have never had an issue. Used to run trails like at Moab and all I ever did was lower the floats. They work fine for me.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
An Edelbrock is by far the easiest to calibrate.
But that's the problem isn't it? Most want an out-of-the-box carb.
And that's just not possible.
You might as well get your head around it.
You won't be able to buy an aftermarket carb that's already set up for your engine.
The Edelbrock likes lower fuel pressure than the others. That's because it has shorter floats, and so, less pressure on the needle valve. You might need a fuel pressure regulator.
The Edelbrock carb is also more affected by heat soak. That's because of its centralized fuel bowls. So, you'll need a heat spacer too.
But even with all that, it's the easiest to tune.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Holley is the best carb made.

They make junk and they make the best. They provide to every economic market. If you want a cheap 4160 they got you covered but that's no fun....if you want a full blown super expensive billet aluminum metering body carb they got you covered.

I once heard Professor Warren Johnson say,

You know what makes the Holley carb the best in the world?
It has a thousand little adjustments you can make.
You know what makes the Holley carb the biggest piece of shit on my work bench?
It has a thousand little adjustments you can make.

Lol

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The edelbrock runs good if you stay on flat ground. Carter makes the same carb without the carb(smog) sticker for less $$. Same maker just rebadged. If your not stuck on a 4-barrel the autolights work good..
I run the q-jet on both broncos. Great on and off road. I know some guys love em but I've never had any luck with the holley stuff.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
While I love a good debate I'll stay on the sidelines and ask if you could describe in more detail. From your description it sounds like it could be timing or even possibly your torque converter is bad.

+1 for Holley - I can make it get great gas mileage or turn 9 second quarters. Not usually both however!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
As others pointed out there is no consensus on the best carb. Sooner o later they all have there issues. but can usually be fixed.

I prefer holleys I've yet to have a accelerator pump diaphragm go out on one unless it was totally dried out from sitting on the shelf for years.
Might help to know what model and part number of holley you have. Some of us may be able to give you some pointers. I would also suggest making sure you use good named brand rebuild kits not the more generic kit you get at a parts store.

edelbocks are fine for the street but take some work and tweaking to make them run offroad even then they may leave you wondering if and when its gonna flood out on you.
Really depending on what holley you have it may not be well suited for your engine and may need some more tuning to get it to work good. As was said timing and other factors also become part of the equasion. Its possible the engine is wearing out again and that can make it run different. But for the most part if it has run well in the past with that carb in its current tune then it should run well now aside from a bad accelerator pump diaphragm.
But a few things come to mind as my 71 with a stock 2v motorcraft carb eats pump diaphragms but it tends to sit long periods of time and its more due to the accelerator pump passages gumming up. So sitting doesn't help in my case and most likely my gas tank has a lot of varnish ect and each time I put in new fuel it loosens some of it up and prolongs the issue. So I really should clean out my tanks.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Autolite/Motorcraft 2100/2150. Period.

Attachments

• 0719AB4B-CDBB-4115-97D3-7A97DA9DEAE0.jpg
    0719AB4B-CDBB-4115-97D3-7A97DA9DEAE0.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 125

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Is there a consensus out there on what the best carburetor combination to run on 302 EB is?

I would love to go the EFI route, just don't have the dough or time for that big of a project right now.

Anyone have a good suggestion?

As you can see... No.;);D

Paul

And it won't be any better when you get around to asking about EFI systems either.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Autolite/Motorcraft 2100/2150. Period.

I love the 2100/2150 carb. But I had to replace mine when I went to 4.11s with my C4.
That carb works great until you stomp on it and try to pass on a two lane. When the C4 kicks down, that poor little carb just plain runs out of air.
Too bad, since it runs perfectly for most other cases.
The four barrel version would probably work great, but Ford didn't use many of those. The price is prohibitive for good used ones.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
dublupcobb - I don't think I will ever build another Bronco with a Carb on it. I even currently have a 4100 (1.12) 600cfm and a 4100 (1.08) 480cfm on the shelf in my shop. Both of these are fantastic carbs..... For a Carb.

I would wait a little longer and save up a few more funds and get either a FiTech or a Sniper EFI. Once you have the EFI with the fuel system and all related parts needed, it can easily be installed in a weekend.