• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Little help wiring new turn signal switch...

DJPoop

Hey all, amateur wrench turner here. I know there are about 1,000 threads on turn turn signal switches and I've read through them all, so apologies for posting another.

I have a '67 that I bought in pretty good shape. PO put in an American Autowire harness and did a floor shift conversion (manual obviously). I've been having problems with the gauges since I bought it (won't go there in this thread), but all the signal lights, dash lights, brake lights, etc. have worked fine. Only problem was the turn signals didn't cancel and the horn has never worked. It also has a Grant GT steering wheel as well (as far as the horn issue is concerned).

Since I hate driving down the street and realizing my turn signal has been on for god knows how long, I decided to replace the signal switch. I bought this one because it was cheap and had good reviews: https://www.cjponyparts.com/turn-signal-wiring-reproduction-bronco-1966-1970/p/BRTSW2/

The only problem was it didn't come with a diagram as far as wire colors go. Plus, I have no idea if the switch I'm replacing is original or from a later model or even a mustang or something, who the hell knows.

So I pulled the wheel, removed the old signal switch (which looked about 50 years old - pretty much falling apart and the cam arms were both broken off). I installed the new switch and ran the wires through the column. But now I have no idea what wires go where.

Here's the diagram from the AAW instruction manual:

And here're a few pics I took of the old signal switch wires connected to the AAW wires before I cut them and pulled them out:

Can someone just let me know which wires from the new switch connect to the AAW wires?

Also, a lesser issue, but with the Grant GT steering wheel, should I run the yellow wire from the switch to one of the contact plates that go in front of the adapter? I would assume so... I'm planning on putting in a new one wire horn/compressor/relay.

Thanks all!
Thanks.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It looks like at least some of the wires from the new switch match the factory colors. If that's correct, doesn't the AAW instruction diagram kind of spell it out?
I can't copy and paste the specifics, or I'd just go down the list and match them up. Assuming they match that is.

Sorry if that's not helping. But can't you just go down the list and match them up while they're right in front of you? Or am I missing something?

I do see the two horn wire colors match factory (Yellow and Blue w/yellow) coming from the two brass contacts.
Just hook each one to one of the Black wires for the horn. I don't think it matters, as the AAW harness is designed with a relay already installed, unlike the factory setup for your year. So it likely does not matter which one goes to which black. Or hopefully they would have used different colors!

Follow their diagram/list to the closest matchup with your new switch wires and see what you get. At the worst you'll blow a fuse, but I don't think there are many ways to hook it up backwards that would hurt anything. If wrong they just won't work. But not hurt anything.
If not sure, you can hook each one up temporarily before crimping. Just tape the cut end of the AAW wire to the suspected correct contact point on the new switch wire.

Good luck.
Sorry I wasn't more help.

Paul