• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

M5OD install

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I just got the M5OD trans installed and mounted up the D20 transfer case. I used the BC crossmember and now the front output yoke is lower than the crossmember. Before I build a new crossmember I was wondering if the T-case can be clocked up a bit. I was told that this swap kit would work on both the ZF and the M5OD. Thanks. Ken

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I had to clock my d20 up one hole when I did my zf5 install and I'm sure I used all the same parts, if the tcase shifter becomes an issue, I recommend JBFabs twin stick kit, solved all my issues, good luck!

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I had to clock my d20 up one hole when I did my zf5 install and I'm sure I used all the same parts, if the tcase shifter becomes an issue, I recommend JBFabs twin stick kit, solved all my issues, good luck!

Thanks, I do have the JB twin stick so I hope it goes well. Ken

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Side note I’m curious what you think of the M5OD. My dad had one in an 89FSB and we swapped it for a ZF. He regretted it. Missed the buttery shifting of the M5OD.

Brett

OP
OP
bronkenn

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Went out to the shop and reclocked the transfer case. That Advance Adapters mating ring had three different locations predrilled and I moved it up one hole and now everything is lined up nice. Mocked up front drive shaft, tested full range of travel and fits good. Thanks everyone for the help. Brett, I won't have it ready for the road for a while. I'll be painting it this spring and try to finish it up this summer. Ken

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I love the 1st and 5th with the zf5 so much it was worth the slow shifting, when I'm on the trails! When I commute in the bronco I so opine for the buttey smooth shits of the Japanese feeling M5od, but the deep first and over drive make it worth it to me, up to what is important, I wouldn't switch! In an f150 commuter it would be a different story!