• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Build Direction Questions

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Looks like we're dealing with 3 or 4 prior paint jobs haha. Originally green

xyj374qpxmpo67x6g.jpg

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
We haven't found any rust under the body paint. A tiny bit in the engine bay by the passenger air vent but that's getting cut out and replaced this week. This Bronco has been in Arizona for the past 25+ years so that helped

Made some more progress

07461qley11rp5u6g.jpg

KeithKinPhx

Looking good. Any rust in the rockers or windshield cowl?

I had light surface rust throughout both areas. Ended up brushing with tubular wire brushes, spraying with Ospho and then sealing with Eastwood frame sealer. Should be good for another 50.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
In regards to your grill trim I powder coated my head light rings black, and the inner chrome retainer ring. My grill is a dark bronze. Id recommend going black and leaving for ford grill letters the same as the body paint color

IMG_0757.jpg IMG_0758.jpg

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
That looks great! ^

Parts back from the blaster

gsz6vy8hz6jc9ci6g.jpg

Looking good. Any rust in the rockers or windshield cowl?

I had light surface rust throughout both areas. Ended up brushing with tubular wire brushes, spraying with Ospho and then sealing with Eastwood frame sealer. Should be good for another 50.
No rust in either of those spots. A tiny bit in the engine bay on the passenger side where the hood vent is. Cutting that out next week and replacing.

RODRIG3911

Loc.
Tucson
Those looks good Jeff!! where did you go and how much did they charge you to blast them? Did they use a special material to not warp the metal?.. I'm excited to see your Bronco when it's done bro ;D

Attac

Contributor
I like your choice of color;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Those looks good Jeff!! where did you go and how much did they charge you to blast them? Did they use a special material to not warp the metal?.. I'm excited to see your Bronco when it's done bro ;D
I took them to Number 5 Specialty Coatings off Valencia and Park and I wouldn't recommend them. As you saw he sandblasted my VIN plate when we specifically talked about removing it. You can also see yellow in the license plate mount that he missed. He's still working on the roll cage. I should have stuck with my gut and used Perfection Industrial. He quoted me $2.50/minute and about 40 minutes on the cage. Number 5 has several hours in it haha. They will be powdercoating the bumpers and cage as soon as Number 5 is done welding things up
I like your choice of color;)
That really helps me figure out my paint scheme! Thanks

Attac

Contributor
Here is another This was before I got mu Duffy bumpers on it.
Can't wait to see yours done.
Look at englewood cowboy thread also for more pics of his green build.
Chuck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Front bumper is done. After getting a $1,000 quote for powdercoating, I decided to go with a black raptor lining on the bumpers and roll cage.

Attachments

• 20180305_204401.jpg
    20180305_204401.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 40

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Front bumper is done. After getting a $1,000 quote for powdercoating, I decided to go with a black raptor lining on the bumpers and roll cage.

a thousand dollars??? Whoah ....when I had mine done I paid $500 for all my bumpers, dash, door panels and 5 stock rims! that's crazy

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Ya apparently the "black texture" powder he got me hooked on was 3-4 times the cost of generic powders. I think he was trying to make up for the extra hours he spent sandblasting and modifying the cage.

The raptor lining is $375 for the cage and bumpers with a lifetime warranty

Hopefully only 2 more weekends of sanding and its off to paint

Attachments

• 20180308_112009.jpg
    20180308_112009.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 32

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Go to prismatic powders and you can look up the price on most powders. They’re typically $10-20/pound so I think he was def trying to squeeze some cash out if you. I wish I had a big enough furnace to do large parts, maybe in the future! Let me know if your still planning on getting your tailgate handle and emblems done!

OP
OP
JefeAZ

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I am, trying to find my tail lights rings in the mess of loose parts. Not sure Ill put them on but Id like them to match everything else thats satin. I have both sets of headlight rings, the tailgate handle and the good script emblem boxed.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I am, trying to find my tail lights rings in the mess of loose parts. Not sure Ill put them on but Id like them to match everything else thats satin. I have both sets of headlight rings, the tailgate handle and the good script emblem boxed.

sounds good!