• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Using 100LL Aviation Fuel

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just rebuilt an Edelbrock (AFB) that involved a screwdriver digging out white crusties from the bowls. It almost works right now. At least both idle screws have some kind of response, better then it was.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Consider yourself lucky!
It seems to "attack" small engines worse than it does cars and trucks.
That being said, I have rebuilt 5 Autolite 2100's in the last 3 years due to ethanol related issues.
I run E0 in all my small engines, but know a lot of people who do not.
I have seen one weedeater, two chainsaws, and one riding mower die
from it this year alone...
Weedeater and one saw needed a carb kit. One saw needed a fuel pickup,
and the riding mower had to be replaced. Stupid design by Craftsman,
the crankcase vent hooks up to the diaphragm carb, so when the ethanol
eats away the diaphragm it fills the crankcase full of gasoline... Awesome.

House...long time no chat...

Find out what station or brand of fuel they are using. Back in my fleet service days, we found out that a certain "approved" station tested at unacceptable levels of moisture in the fuel.

The only fuel I run is Shell gasoline in all my stuff. My leaf blower...no problems. Weedeater that is 12 years old...no problems and no stabilizer. Motorcycle sits for a long time between use (old 1982 Suzi 1100) and no problems. My push lawnmower, no problems. There are days I open the garage door and EVERYTHING becomes wet with dew because of the 100 percent humidity and high dew point levels.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Come on, it's 2018, I'm no tree hugger but leaded fuel is just not a good thing in cars anymore.

69_Sport

+1 on never having any problems whatsoever with E10. And that's over the last 20 years in all my motorcycles, cars, trucks, lawnmowers, and collector cars.

Oh, and quit bashing the farm states for ethanol. If you will remember, it was introduced to us all as a result of Federal and California clean air standards. The refiners had been adding MTBE as an oxygenator, and then found out it causes cancer and was showing up in our drinking water. So they hurriedly chose to mix ethanol in place of the nasty MTBE.

If you want to place the blame, then you should thank Big Brother and the Republik of Kalifornia. Sticking it to the Arab oil states doesn't hurt, either.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
+1 on never having any problems whatsoever with E10. And that's over the last 20 years in all my motorcycles, cars, trucks, lawnmowers, and collector cars.

Oh, and quit bashing the farm states for ethanol. If you will remember, it was introduced to us all as a result of Federal and California clean air standards. The refiners had been adding MTBE as an oxygenator, and then found out it causes cancer and was showing up in our drinking water. So they hurriedly chose to mix ethanol in place of the nasty MTBE.

If you want to place the blame, then you should thank Big Brother and the Republik of Kalifornia. Sticking it to the Arab oil states doesn't hurt, either.

That may have been the start of it... but the farm lobby jumped on the bandwagon for ethanol as soon as they saw it coming.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Don't bite the hand that feeds you.........

The same amount of corn that feeds a family of four for a year fills an SUV fuel tank once.
If the farm lobby really cared about feeding people they would oppose ethanol in fuel.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Isn't 100ll about $5.00 a gallon or more?

It's generally a $1 a gallon more then regular. Way cheaper than race gas.

If you don't use much, it is way cheaper then repairing ethanol damage. If you are only buying a tank or two a year, good option. If you are filling up weekly, or even monthly, wrong choice.

Kbpony

The same amount of corn that feeds a family of four for a year fills an SUV fuel tank once.
If the farm lobby really cared about feeding people they would oppose ethanol in fuel.

Please check the facts. Ethanol doesn’t take much of anything from the food supply. The DDG’s (waste from ethanol production) is a high quality feed source. The part of the corn kernel used for ethanol is not very digestible and usually otherwise become waste. Using corn for ethanol is a much more efficient use of resources we already have and are producing in abundance. It actually burns cleaner as well, so there are multiple reasons to utilize it as a fuel source. Sorry for the thread hijack.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Please check the facts. Ethanol doesn’t take much of anything from the food supply. The DDG’s (waste from ethanol production) is a high quality feed source. The part of the corn kernel used for ethanol is not very digestible and usually otherwise become waste. Using corn for ethanol is a much more efficient use of resources we already have and are producing in abundance. It actually burns cleaner as well, so there are multiple reasons to utilize it as a fuel source. Sorry for the thread hijack.

How much water is used again to make one gallon of ethanol? Last I checked was 3.5, however, that doesn't factor in the water required to grow the corn.

http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V6_N5/feature4.pdf

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

Feed is for animals.
Cattle digest long chain carbohydrates, humans digest short chain and some medium chain carbohydrates.
The yeast that produces alcohol uses the carbohydrates humans use, so of course cattle can use what is left over.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It'd be interesting to know how much ethanol is used here in CA. Uncommon in my area of NorCal at least.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
AS of 2015 it appears CARB has required 10% E10 in our gas.

Kbpony

Feed is for animals.
Cattle digest long chain carbohydrates, humans digest short chain and some medium chain carbohydrates.
The yeast that produces alcohol uses the carbohydrates humans use, so of course cattle can use what is left over.

And the corn grown for food/human consumption is not the same corn grown for feed/ethanol. Food grade corn has higher test weight and grain quality. Millers and processors pay a premium for food grain corn, so it is not even in the same supply stream as feed grade/ethanol corn. My only point is that ethanol production has very little to no impact at all on food production.

ribbits

I treat about two tanks a year in my aircraft with Alcor TCP lead scavenger (FAA approved). It helps with the lead build up and I've never fouled a plug! Also, 100LL has a blue dye in it to help identify it as such, it also gets real dark green when exposed to air very long making leaks easy to see..

Timstrk

For those wanting to know how much av-gas costs go to 100LL.com. All you have to do is enter your nearest airport or town/city and up comes the info. Prices vary by location, self serve/full serve, etc. Big factor is airport size and who they cater to.